Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-06-10-WDF] Cosmo Soldier & Sato vs Tadahiro Fujisaki & Makoto Saito

Jetlag

WDF is the kind of shit you start watching when you run out of BattlARTS. Everyone in this fed has a haircut straight out of Gummo, and everyone here hits stupidly hard.

Cosmo Soldier is pretty green/possibly a backyarder who blows half his spots and hilarity ensues. Fujisaki and Saito are the WDF guys while Cosmo and Sato (no idea about that guy) are billed as IWA Japan scum so interpromotional hatred ensues aswell as hatred for no talent piece of shit pretty boy wrestlers, and they brutally beat the snot out of Cosmo. You really don't see this kind of shit anymore. Fujisaki and Saito are your ersatz Otsuka and Ikeda and ready to throw down and pummel a masked tanned goof into oblivion. It's kind of funny to watch these two nobodies puffing their chests and acting like they run shit, but yeah the shots in this match here are no joke.

So you are watching this mess of an indy match full of kicks to the face, stomps to the jaw, dropkicks to the kidney and general pummeling anarchy full of awkward painful looking moves (especially the double teams), to the point where the crowd gets behind behind the crappy indy sleazeball and wills him on to keep going despite getting near KO'd a few times and then it dawns on you that Fujigasaki and Saito are Fugofugo Yumeji and K-Ness of Dragon Gate. And then you want to order some wrestling tapes from the alternate reality where Fugofugo Yumeji stayed Tadahiro Fujisaki and ended up saving japanese wrestling.

I didn't get much from Sato. He took the dangerous head dropping back suplexes from future Fugofugo pretty nicely. This was 15 minutes of awkward brutal trainreck and pretty glorious.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, this had a real Battlartsy recklessness to it, just fifteen minutes of uncooperative crowbarring and potatoing from all four involved. Honestly, I had no idea who any of these guys were and didn't bother trying to identify them until after I'd watched the match. Cosmo seemed fairly obvious given the mask with the big star on the front and therefore it would stand to reason that whoever he was teaming with was Sato, but I didn't put names to faces of the other two until afterwards and it's been so long since I've even thought about K-Ness that that link meant little to me. I'm not sure who you'd point to as the best guy in the match (I'm not sure you'd be bothered to), but you might point to Fujisaki (he's wearing the singlet) as the one who gave the least shits about his opponents' safety. He really brutalised Cosmo and flung him about with abandon, hitting this weird body slam that left Cosmo crumpled beneath himself in a tangle of ACLs and ruptured patellar tendons. Beyond that he was stomping him in the face and hitting lariats right around the throat and dumping him on his ear with back suplexes. Saito was throwing brutal high kicks and dropkicking guys at weird angles, across the lower spine, upper thigh, just below the shoulder, right under the chin. Almost nothing in the match looked pretty but it did look like it hurt a lot. There wasn't a ton of structure, but the messiness worked for it and the heat segments certainly made it feel like someone was in peril. Pretty much the definition of Japanese indy sleaze. The very best kind.

• Loss changed the title to [1997-06-10-WDF] Cosmo Soldier & Sato vs Tadahiro Fujisaki & Makoto Saito