Pro Wrestling Only

One Night Stand 2 Announced

Guest savagerulz

Guest savagerulz

From WWE.com:

Another One Night Stand

February 18, 2006

At the RAW Live Event held on Long Island, NY, SmackDown announcer Tazz introduced Paul Heyman. Paul then delivered big news to the fans in attendance.

According to Heyman, ECW will hold another One Night Stand. The event will originate from the ?original scene of the crime? at Manhattan Center?s Hammerstein Ballroom on Sunday, June 12, 2006.

Tickets for the event will go on sale Saturday, April 15 at 10 a.m.

If this year's ECW One Night Stand is anything like the original, you can expect to see some of the most extreme action ever.

Guest Some Guy

Shouldn't they change the name, now?

I tend to doubt that this one will do as well as the last. All the former ECW stars are either way over the hill, retired, dead, or signed to TNA. I think they shot their load with the first one.

I suppose the only question in all of this is who will JBL cheap shot at this show?

Guest savagerulz

Considering the recognition the first one got, TNA should let their ECW alumnus perform for that alone, especially if they won't get buried or anything. Hopefully, they work something out. I want Lynn vs. RVD dammit!!!

Guest savagerulz

Oh I know he's done that plenty of times, so I don't put that above him either. He's also a businessman, and a good one at that. Hopefully the latter outweighs the former.

Guest savagerulz

WWE doesn't want their SUPERSTARS in the same ring as TNA Stars, as the whole Punk hoo-ha taught us.

I was wondering, what's this "hoo-ha" you're referring to?

Tommy Dreamer told CM Punk that he could work ROH's date last Sat. with the conditions of he couldn't be advertised, he couldn't job, he couldn't wrestle or be involved with anyone from TNA, and it could only be a one time thing. From there Dreamer left to do an indie date in England. He didn't tell anyone else in WWE that he gave Punk permission including Johnny Ace.

Meltzer said the situation "exploded" at Raw on Monday. Vince and Steph went up to Ace and gave him a bunch of heat asking him why he let a member of WWE appear on a show with "so many TNA stars". Even though a lot of the wrestlers by this time knew that Punk did the ROH show (as well as it being on the net), Meltzer said Ace was "blindsided" by the McMahon's appoarch. All the heat then went to Punk and he told them Dreamer approved of it, so then Dreamer got the final heat. Meltzer said from day one guys like HHH, HBK, Hayes, and even Arn Anderson have been all over Punk about his work rate. Anderson goes along with HHH and says that Punk "copies" a lot of popular moves from Japan. Meltzer also added that Punk's relationship with Maria "doesn't help matters".

Guest savagerulz

Thanks.

The WBF, XFL, IcoPro, WWE Films, and WWE New York all say hello.

To that I say this: if he can have all those failues, yet remains standing at the end with the #1 wrestling company in the US, proves his success whether you like or not. And all of those other companies came about because his core business - wrestling - was such a success. And he's still making money.

Guest savagerulz

And I think WWE Films is not a failure yet. I think the whole concept is stupid and it definitely looks like a guaranteed failure or a failure in the making, but for the record, it's not dead yet. The first movie with the logo (The Kane horror movie) could be a success, given the quality of the shitty unoriginal horror movies that are topping the box office these days, and I believe that WWE films was connected to "The Rundown" and "The Scorpion King" (Vince got a producer credit), which were both box office successes.

Guest savagerulz

There's some truth to that, but just the same - he's at the top of the food chain, despite being pushed to the brink some ten years ago. Some 3-4 years later, he's not only at the top of the food chain, but achieved more (monetarily - which is what ultimately matters) than any promoter/owner before him. Vince created stars, used his marketing strategies and all that shit, and became wealthier than thought possible. You can't deny him that.

Yeah, One Night Stand II reminds me of WCW calling their PPV World War 3 ever year. Shouldn't the second one have been World War 4 and the next World War 5?

Still, I'll probably find a way to attend this show, as long as tickets aren't beyond the realm of reason.

This is going to be the most un-ECW ECW show ever. Anyone who's identified with ECW is either dead, under contract to TNA, burned thier bridge, or is too broke down to work.

What's the main event going to be, Sabu vs Terry Funk in a first-man-standing match?

Guest Dangerous A

Most of that was Abyss carrying Sabu to decent outings.

As for Vince, he should get credit for being and staying #1 in the world of pro wrestling. I can't deny him that. It's what he does. It's what he is. Problem is, he isn't good at anything else, but thinks he is and won't take no. That is a good and bad businessman trait. I think Vince loves pro wrestling, but hates being dubbed a pro wrestling promoter. He wants WWE to be a multi media thing. WWE does well when it incorporates media outlets into it's product like what they've done with the internet and such. It's when Vince does the outside wrestling ventures that he falls flat on his face.

Guest The Metal Maniac

Vince created stars, used his marketing strategies and all that shit, and became wealthier than thought possible.

I just had to point out that of Vince's two biggest stars ever, one wasn't supposed to be a star in the first place, and the other was hired specifically because it was obvious to anyone not named Verne Gagne that he was the next big thing.

I just don't think it's fair to say that Vince "created" the stars that made him the most money. I won't deny that he helped them along the way and gave them the chance and stuff, but he couldn't have just stuck some random fool in Austin's spot and expected the same results, know what I mean?

Guest Dangerous A

This is going to be the most un-ECW ECW show ever. Anyone who's identified with ECW is either dead, under contract to TNA, burned thier bridge, or is too broke down to work.

What's the main event going to be, Sabu vs Terry Funk in a first-man-standing match?

As of right now, I agree. I think Heyman may have blown his load at last year's show. Creatively, I don't know what they can do to make ONS II compelling in any way. Guess we'll see what Heyman has up his sleeve booking wise because I don't see how they can come close to topping last year's show from an emotional standpoint.

Guest The Hawk of Miami

As of right now, I agree. I think Heyman may have blown his load at last year's show. Creatively, I don't know what they can do to make ONS II compelling in any way. Guess we'll see what Heyman has up his sleeve booking wise because I don't see how they can come close to topping last year's show from an emotional standpoint.
Heyman put alot of emphasis on nostalgia last year and understandably so. It was the right move to make, he was well aware that he was going to get the hardcore fans to watch and he had to make it as ECW as he could. Of course, it is hard to do that when you have to book around WWE's insistance of making their presence known. He did what he wanted for certain reasons.

He had the big ECW style brawl with two big ECW stars (Sandman/Dreamer) and the greatest tag team of ECW, The Dudleyz. He got to do the Eddie/Benoit match he wanted to do before WCW "stole" them away, booked his traditional "lucha" match to showcase that ECW brought that to America, the ECW trios match(a staple of ECW).

While the show lacked quality work, it delivered on the promise of enducing ECW nostalgia, despite the WWE gloss.

So can Paul Heyman do this again? If you have seen his work with OVW, the answer is...YES. The man is still a creative machine. He took shit like Spirit Squad and is making it work. He made CM PUNK an instant star for OVW.

I do believe Paul Heyman has the creative chops to deliver another hit for "WWE Presents: ECW". This time, Heyman will not have to rely on pumping nostalgia through the waves. This time, Heyman can focus on his best craft, a story.

ECW/WWE lost Rhyno, Dudleyz, Sabu to TNA last summer, along with not having Raven, Jerry Lynn, Steve Corino(at his own doing), Shane Douglas already.

Despite that, WWE still has a good sample of names on their roster associated with ECW. There's still some key players not signed with TNA, they can use. Paul Heyman, might be teased by the possibility of giving his OVW stars a rub by getting them onto the show.

If Heyman sticks around and runs ONS2, I will give him the opportunity to prove the nay-sayers wrong.

But only under those conditions, do i trust that WWE will do ECW, right.