Pro Wrestling Only

WM Mainevent Spoiler

Guest MJHimJfadeaway23

Guest MJHimJfadeaway23

New Mania main official

Rey Mysterio has been officially added to the Angle vs. Orton match for the title at Wrestlemania as expected.

- Dave Meltzer

This is giving me hope for a Rey win for the title as well. After the bombs of 2000 and 2001, where the main events saw the heel go over, and a face win then turn heel, respectively, Vince seems to have gone back to babyfaces winning in the main event, or main events. 2003 saw Hogan, Rock (heel), and Lesnar all go over, and Rock's win was mainly due to Austin retiring, and Goldberg needing opponents. 2004 saw Eddie, Taker, and Benoit all go over, and last year saw Cena and Batista win. I'm starting to think that, unless Vince really loses his mind, that Cena and Rey will both go over, unless Angle retains, but if that happens, I think the RAW main event will likely close the show, since Vince is naturally running with Cena more than Angle.

I'd say that's all accurate.

I think one of the best things about Rey possibly winning the belt at Mania is that it makes EVERY wrestler up and down the card a top contender. Hell, they could probably headline with Rey/Henry for a month or so and it would be convincing because Henry has two wins over him. Every match, even among the most dull of wrestlers, suddenly becomes more interesting.

I don't see HHH losing a title match at Mania, no matter how much the company wants to push Cena.

He's lost two consecutive title matches at Wrestlemania. I think they're going to try to do some type of double turn, but that's just a guess. That's going to be nearly impossible to pull off if that's their goal.

I'd say that's all accurate.

I think one of the best things about Rey possibly winning the belt at Mania is that it makes EVERY wrestler up and down the card a top contender. Hell, they could probably headline with Rey/Henry for a month or so and it would be convincing because Henry has two wins over him. Every match, even among the most dull of wrestlers, suddenly becomes more interesting.

Hmmm...a champion who makes *any* match with any opponent seem interesting.

Who does that remind you of?

I don't see HHH losing a title match at Mania, no matter how much the company wants to push Cena.

He's lost two consecutive title matches at Wrestlemania. I think they're going to try to do some type of double turn, but that's just a guess. That's going to be nearly impossible to pull off if that's their goal.
Considering that Hunter wants to prove himself as a better heel against Cena that what Angle was, I'm actually doubting that a double-turn will happen.

Guest The Metal Maniac

I really don't see HHH losing his match. I really, really don't.

Sure, he lost at two WM's in a row; in his eyes, that's just two WM's he needs to make up for. Plus, he hasn't held the belt in a year, plus I've got a feeling the only reason Cena was brought to RAW in the first place was to he could job the belt to HHH.

I'd like to think that HHH isn't gonna win, but he is. He'll win in the secondary main, then either Rey or Angle (he's still a face, right?) will win in the main to send the people home happy.

I'd say "win in the second to last one".

I mean, look at HHH's WM losses: One was against the one guy who has as much pull with Vince as he does (Taker), one was to establish the guy he groomed as the next big superstar (Batista), and the other was to set up the WM Moment of Eddy and Benoit in the ring together as champions.

This WM match coming up seems to have a more HHH vs Jericho vibe, as I don't see him going into the match as the challenger and losing.

Guest Dangerous A

It's all about match placement I think.

If Cena/HHH goes on second to last or something, then HHH is going to win. I don't think WWE wants another WM ending with a heel on top.

Which is why I think Rey was put into the SD main event in the first place. He is the feel good moment. If you look at the booking, they didn't have Rey in the main event plans, otherwise they would've protected him better and not trivialized the Royal Rumble win so badly.

Guest savagerulz

There was a time, you know, when the majority of the wrestling card could be interesting without the main title even being involved. And it wasn't a long time ago. It's the last time wrestling made a lot of money and was on the upswing. Once they felt the need to make everyone "seem" like they could win the belt in a heartbeat...that's when it started getting shitty.

I wouldn't say that. It's not wrong, but it's not totally right either. I think the fact that the top guys got stale without pushing anyone new nearly as hard as the guys who were already there were pushed to get at that level, so no one bought the next wave of stars because WWE either waited too long to pull the trigger, damaged them through bad booking, or both.

My gut feeling says Hunter wins (because that has been the plan all along and there is no chance of it changing with the Cena rebellion by the male fans) AND his match goes on last (because its the biggest match on the card).

I also think it is a big assumption that just because Rey is in the match now he'll win the title. I'm still sceptical that Vince would put the title on someone so small particularly at a WrestleMania and if he did that it would be in the main event.

Guest savagerulz

I wouldn't say that. It's not wrong, but it's not totally right either. I think the fact that the top guys got stale without pushing anyone new nearly as hard as the guys who were already there were pushed to get at that level, so no one bought the next wave of stars because WWE either waited too long to pull the trigger, damaged them through bad booking, or both.

...which you can't fix by just making guys "stars." Forcing stars to the top is the death knell of promotions. You take guys that stole shows at the mid-card level...had high profile feuds that had nothing to do with a title, and bring them along that way. It takes time, but pays off.

Those are the two biggest examples.

They also missed out on the chance to do the match with the WCW champion who never lost his belt going against the WWF champ on PPV when Benoit jumped, which I think was one of the best opportunities to make Benoit a big deal right off the bat.

And of course, Booker T's infamous loss to HHH at Wrestlemania XIX, that he's only begun to recover from in the past three months. Ponder that.

Guest savagerulz

WWE had tons of chances to make guys like Jericho, RVD, and Booker the next generation of stars but they didn't and it was almost always because a certain someone would run to Vince and say the person in question couldn't work.

While partially true, be careful not to fall into the "smart mark explanation" for everything. Real life is always more complicated (and interesting) than the smart mark "party line" explanation for everything in wrestling.

Jericho was Unified World Champ, for cryin' out loud. He had a long career.

Booker has had a long career...and it's not like WCW would have ever made the guy anything if they didn't have a lawsuit against them and had run out of any other choices.

RVD? Let me know when he can wrestle for 6 months without getting hurt and put on the shelf for months at a time, won't you?

Guest MJHimJfadeaway23

I was reading Meltzer's post in Wrestling Classics and he said when The Giant was in WCW, Vince told him "They don't know how to book him properly". And if he had the Giant, he'd rarely make appearances, he'd never lose, he would be treated like a special attraction. And Vince has done none of that. He was much more over in WCW and much better booked.

Jericho spent his time as Unified Champ cleaning up dog poo for Stephanie. I know he said that it was his idea, but it's not how you book the first guy to unify the WCW and WWE titles.

What WCW did with Booker is immaterial, since it's WWE that booked him in an angle with racial overtones and had him do the most obvious "you've been buried" job in recent memory.

RVD was the most over guy in the company for a while, and they responded to the fans by jobbing him out. If anything, his injury layoff gave him a fresh start in the fans eyes. How'd they handle it? By having him job *again* to the same guy who jobbed him out the last time.

There's no "smart mark party line" about it, it's pretty much obvious to every Marky McMarkerson that the WWE buried those three when they could have been the guys to carry the ball.

Besides, I'm the last person that would be parroting any "party line" explainations, since I'm the one who always gets called a smark basher for proving wrong a lot of their dearly held beliefs.

They also missed out on the chance to do the match with the WCW champion who never lost his belt going against the WWF champ on PPV when Benoit jumped, which I think was one of the best opportunities to make Benoit a big deal right off the bat.

It would have made little difference if Hunter went over in their first PPV match like he did in Benoit's WWF debut match IMHO. And that's what would have happened.

Guest savagerulz

Jericho spent his time as Unified Champ cleaning up dog poo for Stephanie. I know he said that it was his idea, but it's not how you book the first guy to unify the WCW and WWE titles.

What WCW did with Booker is immaterial, since it's WWE that booked him in an angle with racial overtones and had him do the most obvious "you've been buried" job in recent memory.

RVD was the most over guy in the company for a while, and they responded to the fans by jobbing him out. If anything, his injury layoff gave him a fresh start in the fans eyes. How'd they handle it? By having him job *again* to the same guy who jobbed him out the last time.

There's no "smart mark party line" about it, it's pretty much obvious to every Marky McMarkerson that the WWE buried those three when they could have been the guys to carry the ball.

Besides, I'm the last person that would be parroting any "party line" explainations, since I'm the one who always gets called a smark basher for proving wrong a lot of their dearly held beliefs.

My problem with your dealing with the issue is not that they were buried or held back, it's why it happened. The answer closer to the truth (and it's very different for each of the three) is much more interesting and varied than "someone said they couldn't work."

Guest savagerulz

Sure. Of course it didn't help their case that Jericho injured the FIRST TWO GUYS HE WRESTLED IN THE COMPANY, and his undersized ass was using a powerbomb as a finisher. (A multiple one at that.)

RVD busted open a few guys in his first matches as well...

So what say you now?