Pro Wrestling Only

Vince buying NJPW?

Guest savagerulz

Guest savagerulz

From PuroresuFan.com

The front page of the newest Naigai Times says that Vince McMahon's WWE is making an aggressive attempt to buy out New Japan and make its biggest push into Japan yet. If this comes to anything, naturally I'll post an update...

Any work to this or is it a genuine attempt from Vince to try and buy them out? This would be terrible news if it's true.

Guest savagerulz

Absolutely. I can see three reasons really for him going for it.

1. Lesnar

2. TNA and NJPW's working relationship starting to build

3. Simply to get a foothold into the Japanese market and try to establish themselves over there.

Business wise I'm sure it's a good move for the WWE and Vince, but I can't see it benefitting fans in any way whatsoever.

Guest Dangerous A

I would wait until you hear from Meltzer, Keller, or even PWInsider to see if this is real. A lot of rumors fly from papers in Japan that end up as nothing more than someone in NJPW suggesting something and the paper ends up running with it.

There really isn't a good reason for Vince to want NJPW. It is a huge money loser right now. The tape library isn't worth nearly as much as they might think. It would be really silly for them to buy NJPW just to put a lid on the puro tape market since it's such a small, niche market that it wouldn't me worth the trouble to buy NJPW because it's a black hole for money right now.

As far as TNA goes, TNA isn't going to get up and running as serious competition based off of guys from NJPW coming over for a show or two.

All in all, I would think a WWE purchase of NJPW was a bad idea from a money standpoint. However, if Vince wants to own everything in wrestling, then knock yourself out I say.

Guest savagerulz

NJPW might be losing money, but so was WCW and business wise it made sense to buy them. I know it's a different situation, a massive rivalry, and a bit of closure for him but if he bought them, then it's not impossible he'd buy another promotion losing money? If NJPW wasn't leaking money and struggling he wouldn't be able to come in aggressively and get them anyway I'd have thought. Surely Vince would be looking at it, if he is, that with their financial backing NJPW can be turned back into an industry dominating force in Japan again?

I doubt Vince can afford to buy NJPW. His pockets aren't terribly deep right now and I don't see any benefits to him doing it. The minute he tries to get his foot into Japan like that all the other companies will immediately band together and drive him out. Vince is petty but I doubt he's going to buy an entire company to try and get at Lesnar or an upstart national promotion.

Guest Dangerous A

The latest from Meltzer...

"There was a report in the Nagai Times about WWE trying to buy New Japan. I'd be very skeptical there is anything to that, but am waiting to hear back from people in Japan on the story."