Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-08-10-IWRG] Villano III & Villano IV & Villano V vs Perro Aguayo & Mascara Sagrada & Black Dragon

soup23

Not much more to this match than some very good lucha. I enjoyed the way the first fall took its time and all three pairings had something to offer. Villano IV looked great on the mat with his transitions, Perro was more fiery here than most of what we have seen in CMLL and Villano III and Sagrada was a neat pairing that rolled around well too. The second fall builds off of that and has more rudo domination which is different from the standard template of rudo wins first fall, tecnicos second that we have had for most of the lucha in 2000. Perro and Villano III going after it felt like a big deal and was a nice 1 vs 1 sequence. The final fall was probably my least favorite and I hated the finish. I guess this show was mainly a Perro hype piece as we get about 10 minutes afterwards of him giving thanks and speaking to the crowd. That being said, the “was it a foul or wasn’t” spot has been done too much and I find it asinine that one referee can overrule the other based on what the crowd says. ***1/2 (6.8)

• 3 months later...

This was largely fine but honestly it just didn't grab me very much and there seemed to be no sense of urgency here. Perro's charisma and mannerisms go a long way but his athleticism betrays him on certain spots in this and it doesn't always come across super well. That said, there was nothing really dislikable about this besides the fact that it really didn't stand out of the pack.

**3/4

• 1 month later...

The Perro retirement tour rolls through Naucalpan and the fans end up being treated to his best performance all year. This was an excellent match. I adore the Villanos' style of matwork so I thoroughly enjoyed the opening caida even if none of the matchups were outstanding. It was fun watching Perro on the mat. He was slow but you could see that the muscle memory was still there and the brain was ticking over. I bet there were nights when he was younger where he was a fierce competitor on the mat despite not being as technically gifted as other luchadores. I also enjoyed watching Villano III jostle with Mascara Sagrada and his giant duck arse. It's been a huge year for Villano III but we haven't seen much of him on the mat so this was a pleasant change. The tecnico comeback was short and on point with Perro's stomp firing things up. I liked the mark of respect between Perro and V3 but my favorite part of the match was when Villano's brothers threw respect out the window and punked Perro. Hey, in the words of one former All Blacks captain: "We're not playing tiddlywinks." The Villanos brought out the fire in Perro and the tercera was a fun romp before the result was reversed on a crowd call. Perro spoke for too long at the end and was cut off by the music at one point. He was speaking from the heart but you could tell he was already a bit doddery. It was a nice moment, though.

• 1 month later...

Apparently, this was Perro's last match in Arena Naucalpan. I liked Perro's entrance with the kids following him around and mobbing him for autographs. Villano's seemed happy to be wrestling him and sell everything big. Sure this was a little slow but it was a fun house show match. Villano III gets a lot of air on his senton from the top in the second. I'm surprised Perro didn't bleed in this.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-08-10-IWRG] Villano III & Villano IV & Villano V vs Perro Aguayo & Mascara Sagrada & Black Dragon