Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-09-07-BattlARTS] Alexander Otsuka vs Mohammed Yone

soup23

Otsuka is weary of the kicks of Yone and tries to neutralize those. Yone comes back with some kick to gain the advantage but is mostly outclassed elsewhere. It is a pretty simple story but one that works. Add in some of that Otsuka charm like two unorthodox tombstones and a choke for a nearfall and you have a really good effort overall. I do feels like Yone doesn’t get the impact on some of his strikes that in theory it is presented as. Otsuka also does a half and half suplex to regain the advantage. A huge dragon suplex earns Otsuka the knockout victory. Yone is still probably the worst big name in BattlARTS but this was a pretty damn great Otsuka performance. ***1/4 (6.6)

• 4 months later...
Yone sucks on the mat but he does manage a nasty high kick and I like his pumphandle bomb>single leg crab combo. But man, Otsuka is on another level entirely, suplexing Yone whenever he gets a chance, hitting his own variation on the Steiner Screwdriver at one point into a rear naked choke. He takes Yone's Muscle Buster but it isn't enough to keep him down before he KOs Yone with the dragon suplex. What a stud.

• 2 weeks later...

Otsuka deserves a ton of credit for this match. It's not an easy task to make Mohammed Yone seem interesting and especially not for a good 10-12 minutes, but Otsuka managed to do it through a combination of active matwork, tremendous selling, and terrific counters. Yone was Yone throughout but Otsuka was compelling the entire way. I think you can make an argument for this being the best night of his career to this point. Great performance from him.

• 2 months later...

I really liked Yone's leg drop and lariat to the side of the neck. I thought he looked fine here. Otsuka really takes a nice beating and sells a near knockout well. The screwdriver was nasty and this started into trading too much at the end but good match.

***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2000-09-07-BattlARTS] Alexander Otsuka vs Mohammed Yone