Pro Wrestling Only

Top ten title defenses

Guest savagerulz

Guest savagerulz

From RAW Magazine:

10. Ricky Steamboat def. Randy Savage for the Intercontinental Title (Wrestlemania III, 3/29/87)

9. MNM def. Eddie Guerrero & Rey Mysterio for the WWE Tag Team Titles (Smackdown, 4/18/05)

8. Ultimate Warrior def. Hulk Hogan for the WWE Title (Wrestlemania VI, 4/1/90)

7. Demolition def. Strike Force for the World Tag Team Titles (Wrestlemania IV, 3/27/88 )

6. British Bulldog def. Bret Hart for the Intercontinental Title (Summerslam, 8/29/92)

5. Legion of Doom def. the Nasty Boys for the World Tag Team Titles (Summerslam, 8/26/91)

4. John Cena def. John Bradshaw Layfield for the WWE Title (Wrestlemania 21, 4/3/05)

3. Chris Jericho def. the Rock and Steve Austin to become the Undisputed Heavyweight Champion of the World (Vengeance, 12/9/01)

2. Stone Cold Steve Austin def. Shawn Michaels for the WWE Title (Wrestlemania XIV, 3/29/98 )

1. Hulk Hogan def. the Iron Sheik for the WWE Title (1/23/84)

Do you agree with this list? Why or why not?

10. Ricky Steamboat def. Randy Savage for the Intercontinental Title (Wrestlemania III, 3/29/87)

A lot of people don't think it holds up as a "greatest match" (and I'm inclined to agree) but it is, was, and always will be one of those matches that's on everyone's best of. It deserves a top ten, certainly.

9. MNM def. Eddie Guerrero & Rey Mysterio for the WWE Tag Team Titles (Smackdown, 4/18/05)

No. Not by any standard. Hell, Brock Lesnar/Eddie should be here more than this thing, and that match shouldn't be here, either.

8. Ultimate Warrior def. Hulk Hogan for the WWE Title (Wrestlemania VI, 4/1/90)

Yeah sure, why not. Perhaps the only good match of Warrior's career, save maybe the Rick Rude stuff. Face versus Face, big deal, all that.

7. Demolition def. Strike Force for the World Tag Team Titles (Wrestlemania IV, 3/27/88 )

Granted, as a kid I marked out at Demolition winning, but that's because they had a slope for a manager. "Hahaha, boy-san!" The Strike Force/Demo match was pretty good (for a match with those guys) but I don't think it was a great match. It wasn't even significant in terms of history.

6. British Bulldog def. Bret Hart for the Intercontinental Title (Summerslam, 8/29/92)

Wembley Stadium match, yes. If this wasn't it (and I'm too lazy to go look and check) then no.

5. Legion of Doom def. the Nasty Boys for the World Tag Team Titles (Summerslam, 8/26/91)

No.

4. John Cena def. John Bradshaw Layfield for the WWE Title (Wrestlemania 21, 4/3/05

Perhaps the worst match on the card. That's not hyperbole. You want a Cena match there? The bullrope match was better. And it wasn't good either.

3. Chris Jericho def. the Rock and Steve Austin to become the Undisputed Heavyweight Champion of the World (Vengeance, 12/9/01)

Jericho/Rock when Jericho picked up his first win was a better match. But this is a history match I suppose. Funny how Jericho beats the two biggest stars of our generation, wins the "unified world title" and people still say he got screwed over.

2. Stone Cold Steve Austin def. Shawn Michaels for the WWE Title (Wrestlemania XIV, 3/29/98

Yeah sure. Not the best match by either, but it was that world shift kind of deal...quite frankly, by that standard, Hogan/Andre should be on the list.

1. Hulk Hogan def. the Iron Sheik for the WWE Title (1/23/84)

A match almost nobody saw. I did soon after it happened. Top ten, sure. #1? Eh. I guess.

Guest savagerulz

Hogan/Andre should be No.1 on that list. It's probably still the biggest moment the WWF has ever had.

If you're referring to the WMIII match that wasn't actually a title defense since the belt had been held up. Hogan regained the title rather than successfully defended it.

If you're referring to any of their later matches they don't belong anywhere in the top 3,000,000.

Right. Hogan held the title from 1/23/84-2/5/88, when it was vacated in the twin Hebners angle. WM III was on 3/29/87, at the height of Hogan's title run. The twin ref angle set up Hogan/Andre in the title tournament quarterfinals of Wrestlemania IV.