Pro Wrestling Only

[1988-01-24-WWF-Royal Rumble] Rick Rude vs Ricky Steamboat

Superstar Sleeze

Ricky Steamboat vs Rick Rude - WWF Royal Rumble 1988

It is generally unusual that matches that happened in WCW are more fondly remembered than the ones in the WWF, but this is for good reason as Steamboat/Rude's series in 1992 is lightyears better than the matches in late 87 and 88. I thought this was a condensed and more pedestrian version of their MSG draw a couple of months or so before this, the inaugural Royal Rumble. Rude does not have Heenan, which does lessen the fun. They do the spot where Steamboat skins the cat and sends Rude flying. The issue with this match is Rude just isn't as good as in the MSG match. He is not bumping as big. His offense is so weak that Steamboat is not bumping for him. He is trying to help him by selling but there is no heat. He finally musters up a transition but it is just a lame kneelift to the back. They do the usual Rude chinlock spots. Then they do the usual Steamboat nearfall sequence. The wrinkle in the end is Rude throws the ref into a diving Steamboat. He picks up Steamboat into an Argentine backbreaker. Ref calls for the bell you think Rude has won due to submission they even play his music, but Steamboat wins by DQ. The MSG match is actually very good and I recommend that. I think this is totally skippable and probably the worst Steamboat match I have seen in the WWF.

• GSR changed the title to [1988-01-24-WWF-Royal Rumble] Rick Rude vs Ricky Steamboat