Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-09-23-ECW-Danbury, CT] Little Guido & Tony Mamaluke vs Mikey Whipwreck & Psicosis

soup23

Guido/Mamaluke are really impressing me. They have a set formula down for a 10-12 minute match with any unit that is a ton of fun, hits a higher average than stuff like the mini’s action in Mexico and still feels fresh. Maybe it is the rotation of opponents as Psicosis being involved here felt different. A lot of shine for the faces and a lot of fun involving both Sal and Sinister Minister without it getting too out of control. Finish has Sal crashing through a table and hitting the back of his head on the guard rail but Psicosis celebrated too much and ends up getting German suplexed for the win. ***1/2 (7.1)

• 3 months later...

Sal has good presence here and is far better and more useful as a second than I remember. This was pretty standard stuff but Guido and Mamaluke's standard stuff has been very good. It feels like Mikey wasn't going all out and Psicosis was a little lethargic coming in after the hot tag but it's a great spot and surprise when Psicosis takes the belt and knocks Sal off the apron through a table. Surprised Sal took that here, but it leads to Mamaluke getting a quick pin on Psicosis with the german suplex.

• 4 weeks later...

Watching the FBI against a few different teams over the last few months of matches, you can see that they're becoming a really great 80s style heel team, where they have a base match they can plug anyone into and have a good match. Obviously, Mikey and the minister add a fun element as well. Mikey does a ton of the work here, although Psic does contribute a nice dive. Psic felt really lethargic on the hot tag. Sal took an awesome bump there, and I like the choice to go right to the finish after that, because that was definitely going to be the high point of the match.

• 3 months later...

I remember the great FBI/Tajiri and Mikey matches from around this period but I don't remember Mikey teaming with Psicosis. They didn't really work well together but the FBI held this up well riling up the crowd and Tony taking some crazy bumps. Speaking of bumps. that bump through the table had to suck for Sal. He went leg first through it.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-09-23-ECW-Danbury, CT] Little Guido & Tony Mamaluke vs Mikey Whipwreck & Psicosis
  • 1 year later...

A slight variation as Psicosis teams with Mikey Whipwreck to take on the tag team champions.  Psicosis catches Guido with a headscissors and tags in Mikey who is immediately met with a headbutt as Guido then tags his partner.  A cool little roll up out of the corner which he follows with a victory roll.  Mikey fights his way out of the Camel Clutch and applies a variation of his own.  Missile dropkick by Psicosis.  It looks like Mamaluke takes an uncomfortable fall out to the floor as Mikey and Psicosis double team Guido (which was missed by Feinstein).  The FBI look to regroup at ringside but Psicosis wipes the three of them out with a Mikey assisted flip dive.  A nasty looking kick to the face KO’s Mamaluke but he’s still able to get a shoulder up on the cover.  Mikey obliges when the crowd chant “one more time” although Tony’s selling is ridiculous.  He ties him in the ‘Tree of Woe’ and the Minister is in for the testicular claw.  At least the referee is busy, over in Guido’s corner, and this isn’t done in front of him like it has been in the past.  Mikey misses the blind tag and the FBI with a double powerbomb.  ‘Sicilian slice’, Psicosis in there for the save.  The FBI utilise distraction spots to get in some double teaming, Sal even proving his usefulness from the floor.  Guido telegraphs a backdrop and Mikey spikes him with a DDT.  Both men make the tag and it’s not too long before all four men are going at it in the ring.  Whippersnapper, however Sal puts Guido’s leg over the bottom rope to save the titles.  Psicosis intercepts as he throws one of the belts to Tony, then clobbers him with it, Sal going feet first from the apron through the ringside table.  As Psicosis celebrates he’s caught with a German suplex for the three.

I did miss Tajiri in this which is ironic considering I end up getting tired of this match up (note: this was watched months ago, I made my initial notes as I was watching the match but didn’t “flesh it out”, make it literate, so am doing it some time later as I tidy up some bits).  Watching this on the back of the Psicosis/Kash I do wonder how much WCW beat the enjoyment out of him.