Pro Wrestling Only

Backlash Results

from Meltz:

As already reported, Jim Ross will be back tonight doing the announcing on the show in place of Joey Styles. Just as I write that, there's Joey Styles out with Jerry Lawler.

Rob Conway vs. Goldust is the Heat match. Goldust won with a fast turning powerslam. Crowd seems pretty lively. Just a typical 3:00 match.

Like magic, Joey Styles simply disppeared and magically in his chair was Jim Ross, with no explanation. Sort of like every decision. There looks to be a drunk bodybuilding chick behind the Spanish table.

Oh, and Carlito vs. Chris Masters is opening the show. Carlito won with the lungblower with his feet on the ropes. Good heat and better match than you'd think.

Funny spot was Maria coming backstage talking about how the crowd was sad because Masters just won.

Umaga beat Ric Flair with the thumb to the throat quickly. What happened was fast paced and fine. Kind of sad to see Flair squashed to this degree.

No Coachman

Trish Stratus beat Mickie James via DQ for choking in a short match.

RVD won the IC title over Shelton Benjamin with a Van Daminator into the briefcase and a frog splash and keep the briefcase. Some great athletic stuff back and forth here. Blows away everything so far.

Big show vs. Kane is up. No finish. After a terrible match, to the point Jim Ross was making cryptic remarks about how bad it was, Kane started hearing voices and the lights went out. Even though the story is Kane tried to take Show's eye out, Show graciously hit Kane over the head with a chair so Kane would be knocked out and no longer be tortured by the voices. Show left. Crowd booed heavily. Pretty close to worst match of the year level.

Candice Michelle came to see Vince due to a chest cold and wanted Vince, because he's God to heal here. It ended with Vince grabbing her breasts and her orgasming practically. Unfortunately, the match is now up and Vince couldn't complete the job. And I'm not making this up.

Vince & Shane vs. Shawn Michaels is up now.

Shawn put on a show again. The big spot was Shawn on a 15 foot ladder looking like he was going to put Vince & Shane through a table. The Spirit Squad came out and he dove off the ladder onto them on the floor. Thankfully they catch a lot better than the TNA guys did last week. Spirit Squad all beat up Michaels and gave him the high spirits through a table and Vince pinned Shawn. Mostly a stunt show, biggest being Michaels doing a crossbody on Vince and they both fell off the stage. Looked good but actually the stage was so set up it was pretty safe. A few hard chair shots. Not as good as Mania.

Matt Striker did a segment with Eugene. Basically he said everyone in Kentucky was stupid. Eugene picked his nose and was about to eat it. Striker said he was giving a lesson that you don't pick your nose and eat it. Of course, Eugene then put it in Striker's mouth and gave him a stunner. A little more gross than it sounds.

Today is 29 years to the day of Superstar Graham's WWWF title win according to JR.

It was also announced that Stratus suffered a shoulder injury and would be hospitalized. May have been legit. We'll have more later tonight but it did appear they went right to the finish after Stratus took a bump and what had been a good match just ended out of nowhere.

Three-way tonight. They did a segment early with fans predicting who would win and most picked HHH. So he's doubtful. But maybe the finish was changed at the last minute. I think you know who was planned to win as of a few days ago.

Cena won, as expected, with a jackknife cradle pin on HHH, blocking a pedigree, after Cena had dumped Edge over the top rope. Excellent match. HHH was covered in blood and the match was designed for Cena to retain as both a heel and a face, for HHH to lose and come off as an Austin-like super face, and for Edge to be a chickenshit heel. It pretty well accomplished it, well maybe not the Austin-level, as in the post-match, HHH, covered in blood, laid Edge, Cena and ref Mickey Henson out with sledge hammer shots and posed. It was successful and it was as good a match as I've ever seen Cena work, but if anyone says HHH either jobbed or put Cena over, they have no idea what wrestling is and what that term means.

Guest Mike Campbell

Results are pretty much what I expected, aside from the main event, and RVD winning the title. I was figuring that with RVD scheduled to win the WWE/World Title at ONS, that he'd win by DQ, and let Haas/Benjamin feud over the IC title.

Guest Dorian

Actually, I think I see it more as he gets the title, takes it to ONS, and proclaims the Intercontential belt as the new ECW belt. Triple H or Cena (whoever's holding the belt) demands a match against RVD for the belt, but RVD uses the MITB to get the title shot for the WWE title and wins that.

I actually watched the pay-per-view live and, well, it wasn't good. The main event was but the rest of the show was Wrestlecrap. I mean, there was a lot of bad. Vince gropping Candice backstage, the Kane "red light special," the Vince & "god" skits, the entire Striker/Eugene shit.

The match I was looking forward to the most, Mickie/Trish, ended abruptly because of injury and they had to improve the finish on the fly. So, it was really bad. Shame too because it started out looking like it was going to be good.

The main event was really good. No complaints from me there. There was a lot of D-X teasing by HHH and HBK again.

You could tell that Shelton & RVD were given extra time last minute because Trish/Mickie ended short. They didn't know what to do with the extra time, so it was just sloppy, boring & dull. It's amazing how many people shit themselves over a WWE match because it goes longer than eight minutes and involved midcarders. This match was in no way "amazing" or anything else you may read at some other places. It dragged...a lot. There was a lot of stalling and even more crappy transistion moves. Neither man can throw a punch but I'll be damned if they didn't attempt hundreds. Well, RVD was throwing sloppy forearms instead. The high point of the match was a superplex spot where Shelton jumped all the way to the top rope from the canvas. Impressive. RVD teased Rolling Thunder several times. It was even reversed into a Samoan Drop by Shelton once, which was the second best spot of the match, but when RVD finally hit the move it wasn't as big a deal as it should've been. The Van Daminator with the briefcase was a new twist on an old spot, so I didn't mind that. The Five-Star was good too. It was just like any indy match with semi-competant workers though. A lot of nothing in between a few spots that were good. It wasn't anything that someone like Jack Evans couldn't have done. Yet, since it was Benjamin & Van Dam people are talking about it like it was great.

Yes, the event was pretty terrible.

My review of it is on Page 5 of the DVDVR thread, and in the What You Are Watching thread in the General Wrestling folder of Smarkschoice for those who want to read it.

RVD/Shelton has been getting some love actually, but it was painfully average in my view. Shelton must have set a new record for the amount of restholds in one match.

I read that, it was a good assessment. I hate how people just seemingly overlook things to make their point. Example: when people say Carlito/Masters "wasn't bad" they "forget" to mention the botched kickout. You brought up everything. I liked that.

Guest Dangerous A

Judging from the feedback sections of the Torch and Observer, most people are giving the show a thumbs in the middle/blah-nothing happening show to flat out thumbs down rating.

All in all, Raw is not good. They have intriguing stuff on top because Cena is a dynamic that is just weird on 15 different levels. Edge is fresh and HHH is now trying his damndest to become a face. Where RVD/ECW thing goes is ok, but the rest of the programs looks like shit. I could care less about HBK/Vince/God stuff. Carlito/Masters does nothing for me. The Kane stuff is horrendous, insulting to my intelligence, and not even good on a campy level. Umaga/Flair is dogshit on the sidewalk. Trish/Mickie got stupid once Trish started mimicking Mickie.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm a Smackdown guy.

Guest Mike Campbell

I always though Jamal was just hired to reunite 3MW, then they went and fired Rosey! Supposedly the gimmick is just to take a shot at Samoa Joe, for choosing TNA over WWE.

I think 3 Minute Warning were meant to get back together, but they obviously changed their minds, because Rosey is now fired and Jamal is wrestling under this ridiculous gimmick.

Completely silly really, as 3 Minute Warning were the perfect guys to take the straps off Kane and Show.

Guest teke184

3 Minute Warning was fun as long as they didn't hurt someone TOO seriously.

Jamal fucked himself on that deal originally because he hurt several people, including Pat Patterson, before getting in the legal trouble which eventually got him fired.

Guest Dangerous A

Jamal is pretty fucking crazy outside the ring. The legal troubles teke talks of are because he started fighting several cops outside a bar in Florida or something.

Guest teke184

Has this company ever portrayed a Samoan as anything but a savage beast?

Once, and it didn't go well.

Anyone else remember "Makin' A Difference Fatu", the reformed gang member trying to do the right thing?

Guest Bruiser Chong

Ah yes. Although, I think even the biggest WWF mark realized it was just that Headshrinker dude, only with a stupid winter hat.

Guest SweetMama Scaat

Fuck You. That hat was the shit. Me and Loss mark for Makin A difference Fatu.

THINK POSITIVE!

*Pop Locks*

The Rock, 3MW, S.H.I.T. Rosey, Makin a difference Fatu and later Rikishi, Haku, The Powers of Pain, and prolly a couple of others were all portrayed in a different light. Its not just the WWE, other than Samoa Joe, whom alot of people wouldnt know was samoan if it wasnt IN HIS NAME, Pacific Islanders have always been portrayed in that light. Theyre either from the Islands or black-esque. When I saw Samu at an independant show he came out to Coolio's "Gansta Paradise" and was wearing camo capri pants.... That really has nothing to do with my tirade, I jus thought it was funny.

I dont think the average person is familiar with the pacific Islands or its natvie people. For a hot second everybody was like "The Rock's Puerto Rican". One of the cats from the Wu Tang Clan once said he had never heard of a samoan "til Mr Fuji brought them back from the samoa". His statement was meant in a positive light saying that he appreciated the racial diversity in the WWE. Pther celebrities were giving love too like Fat Joe throwing Big ups to Tito Santanna. It may sound silly, but presenting Samoans as being savage and from samoa makes up for stupid statements like "Is their a thing for what Rikishi is, cause I think hes jus black."..And yeah I heard somebody say that, like you can choose a cats race for them.