Pro Wrestling Only

Matt Hardy released by WWE

Coffey

Apparently WWE is now a "drama free zone". I can't access that page (firewall at work blocks anything sports related which seems to include wwe.com) but what justification could there be releasing Matt Hardy? Wasn't he about ready to come back from his injury?

I can't access that page

Matt Hardy, Rhyno released

Matt Hardy and Rhyno have been released. World Wrestling Entertainment wishes them the best in their future endeavors.

That's all is says Sek. Still, this is pretty shocking to me.

Guest Some Guy

Unless he did something I don't know about Hardy getting fired is bullshit. There is no reason why they couldn't just move either he or Edge and Lita to SD! and then just keep them separated on the 6 or 8 joint shows they run a year.

I disagree with them firing Rhyno, but I am totally against this one. What has Hardy done wrong? He gets betrayed by his woman and his friend and now he gets axed.

Vince isn't exactly showering himself in glory with releasing a (possibly) suicidal man and a guy who was betrayed by two people who get to keep their jobs and have continued pushes.

Well, Matt Hardy came to Raw from Smackdown not too long ago. So, I can see why WWE wouldn't want to move him back to Smackdown. The same can be said about Edge.

Lita, I think, would've fit in with the other useless women in the company on Smackdown. She could've done random bikini whore strip #78 with Torrie, Dawn and the new women that I don't know the name of. Still, Hardy and Edge would've been on the same show, which means the problem would've still existed.

I guess WWE seem to have big plans for Edge. Bigger than what they had planned for Hardy. Afterall, Edge has a title shot coming up after winning that Money in the Bank match. So, logically, this makes sense. That doesn't mean that it's morally correct though.

A lot of people seem to be speculating that perhaps Hardy asked for his release? I wonder what the stipulations of his release are? Surely WWE wouldn't have some huge ass "no compete" clause in it after being canned in this matter?

I agree. Gail Kim was actually starting to get pretty good. Sure, she did all of those headscissors and shit when she was working with men that could support her weight but it was sloppy when she was working with WWE women that weren't Molly. Since Molly and Gail were both heels at the time, it didn't make a whole lot of sense for her to continue to work that style. So she switched. She started doing unique (at least in WWE) wrestling moves. I was digging it.

Then she got canned, after getting new cans. :-/

WWE pretty much fucked her up from the get-go though. I remember her debut which was in a Raw Battle Royal. No one knew who she was so she didn't get a pop. Then she won the match, and the belt, and the crowd was obviously apathetic.

So she got off to a bad start.

To be honest, I don't really care about Rhyno. Like I said in another post, he's not been the same since coming back from surgery. It's like he wrestles super safe now. I used to at least like to watch him Gore people. I can't even say that any more.

Matt Hardy's case is just a sad one.

I also think Dustin Rhodes release was a bad one.

Guest Bruiser Chong

Well, the releases do usually start to bunch up after WM. Total BS move by WWE, though. I'm glad the only way I support them is through their DVD department. This company's full of it and I'm actually happy things aren't getting better.

You'd think that they'd pay attention to which DVDs sell best and take that as a sign on what the fans want to see.

Hell, if Comcast ever got off its ass and offered 24/7 I'd probably lose my job cause I'd be watching old NWA and AWA shows nonstop.

Guest Danny Dubya v 2.0

If Matt and Rhyno join NWA:TNA I'll very likely be forec to start watching.

I'm shocked that they fired Matt especially for the reasons they did it. His heel gimmick was fantastic and hopefully he'll be successful on the indie circut.

If Matt joins TNA, I'll be forced to download wrestling matches on a consistant basis, period. Meh... the Edge and Lita farce aside (I've no difference in opinion on Edge because of this, but Lita...), I also marked out heavily for his heel gimmick and made sure to never miss his TV time when he was on Smackdown. Not only will I miss him, but I'll miss when he was feuding with the cruisers instead of being thrown around by Kane and being jobbed dry on Raw.

Guest Some Guy

According to Meltzer, Matt Hardy has a 90-day "no compete" clause. I didn't hear anything about Rhyno though.

This I don't agree with. They fired him, it's not like he quit. If they don't want him then they should at least allow him to work elsewhere as soon as possible. What is Matt Hardy going to do? Go to TNA and reveal storylines that he wasn't around to hear about? It's not like Matt will set the world on fire in TNA or ROH and make them legitimate competition to WWE.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

-WWE sources say that Matt Hardy was released because WWE creative say that saw him as a mid-card wrestler without a big upside. He had been scheduled to talk to John Laurenaitis, V.P. of WWE Talent Relations, right after WrestleMania to determine his return to TV. That call turned into his dismissal instead. As previously reported here, he was never scheduled to be part of the ladder match, even before the Lita-Edge situation became an issue. WWE creative had always planned to reintroduce him after WrestleMania, not rush him back into a ladder match coming off of an injury. Although it's not being said officially, two other main reasons Hardy was let go are (a) he made a public issue of his private life and even though most everyone believes he was a "victim," WWE wasn't pleased it went public; (B ) Edge is much higher on WWE's depth chart right now and it would have been a headache for management to try to keep them apart, and the animosity is so intense it would have led to a problem down the line.

-Matt Hardy posted the following not at his website, www.thematthadry.com: "First and foremost, I want to thank everyone for the incredible support that you have shown me in this very hard and difficult time. I have been kicked down before (although probably not this much, in such a short amount of time), but I always find a way to rebound and make my life a better place. Thanks for the outpouring of emotion and letting me know how much you care - I need that now. For all of you who believe in me, cheer for me, and care for me, I am not going away - I will rise above. Thanks and much love... "

From - The Torch

WWE sources say that Matt Hardy was released because WWE creative say that saw him as a mid-card wrestler without a big upside.

You can pretty much stop reading here.

Never before has one sentence spoken so loudly.

Guest Cam Chaos

The irony is he is as they book him. That goes for everyone in the company really. HHH was once getting slopped, then he started carrying Shawn's bags (God I love that moment in Wrestling With Shadows) and became a midcarder, then got a headline push that only stuck thanks to Foley. If he'd not been booked progressively and elevated, he'd still be that guy that lost to Henry Godwinn.

Guest Some Guy

The irony is he is as they book him. That goes for everyone in the company really. HHH was once getting slopped, then he started carrying Shawn's bags (God I love that moment in Wrestling With Shadows) and became a midcarder, then got a headline push that only stuck thanks to Foley. If he'd not been booked progressively and elevated, he'd still be that guy that lost to Henry Godwinn.

Very true. But, the best moment in Wrestling with Shadows is when Bret's wife yells at HHH and he just stands there with his head down and takes it while mumbling, "I didn't have anything to do with it." What a fucking lying pussy, he can't even tell the truth to or stand up to an overweight middle-aged women.