Pro Wrestling Only

John Tenta passes away

Loss

A total class act according to almost everyone in wrestling.

I've always heard this too. This is terrible news; he was so young! I remember writing a letter to Hogan after 'Quake squashed Hogan on the Brother Love show.

Tenta, you were a great heel. :(

If you need a sure bet as to how much of a class act Tenta is, look at how much he took time out to chat with wrestling fans online at Wrestlecrap when he obviously had greater concerns.

A class act indeed, and one of my favourite WWF villians. RIP.

Guest Bruiser Chong

These threads are always difficult to contribute to without sounding hollow and unoriginal. I'll just say Tenta sounded like a class act by all accounts and he can be remembered for being a part of one of the more original "Is Hulkamania dead?" angles, if not one of the first.

Unlike other passings of former stars in a similar age group, this was isn't shocking, since we knew it was coming. Still doesn't mean a family hasn't lost a vital piece.

If I was going to remember anything, it would probably be that superbly edited video the WWF did to the slow version of "Real American", with a slow violin version of the song and 'Quake killing Hulk. I remember the write-in Get Well Hulk campaign as well. IIRC, this was Hogan taking time off to film Suburban Commando.

Guest Luds

Sad news, Tenta was one of the best heel big men in the business. Even did a nice stretch as a face.

I loved when he attacked Ultimate Warrior in the push-up competition with Rick Rude.

If I was going to remember anything, it would probably be that superbly edited video the WWF did to the slow version of "Real American", with a slow violin version of the song and 'Quake killing Hulk. I remember the write-in Get Well Hulk campaign as well. IIRC, this was Hogan taking time off to film Suburban Commando.

That slow version of Real American was one of the best pieces of work Jim Johnson ever did. (Or did Jimmy Hart do that?) I loved how midway through to the end of the song, they would have this "magical" part of the music with footage of Hogan and the fans, and then it would become "darker" music, showing Quake's attack on Hogan.

What's funny is that angle happened right when I had a subscription to WWF Magazine and, in a way, that angle was covered in TWO issues. The only thing is that the first issue was showing a different attack on Hogan by Quake on the Brother Love Show, in that when he was attacked, he was still wearing the T-shirt. Not so in the televised footage. I guess they rehearsed the angle at a house show or something. It was weird.

Guest Luds

Sad news, Tenta was one of the best heel big men in the business. Even did a nice stretch as a face.

I loved when he attacked Ultimate Warrior in the push-up competition with Rick Rude.

That would be Dino Bravo. ;)
True. Another one who left too soon.

But under a very different circumstance!

No, that was actually Tenta. The angle started as a push-up challenge between Bravo and Warrior. Earthquake was pulled out of the crowd to sit on the back of each guy. When it came time to sit on Warrior, he attacked him. It was revealed to be a set up.

That slow version of Real American was one of the best pieces of work Jim Johnson ever did. (Or did Jimmy Hart do that?) I loved how midway through to the end of the song, they would have this "magical" part of the music with footage of Hogan and the fans, and then it would become "darker" music, showing Quake's attack on Hogan.

Oh man, I remember that. Is it on You Tube or anything? I'd love to see that again. It really was a great video package.

Guest Bruiser Chong

I may have seen that, but then again, I may be thinking of a similar video package for Bret Hart that was interrupted by Yokozuna doing a stream of buttsplashes.

Guest teke184

Tenta's death made the ESPN website, partially because Tenta had been part of the college wrestling and football programs at LSU in the early 1980s. (He left when wrestling was cancelled due to Title IX)