Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling War Zone: The Monday Night Wars w/ JT & Chad

In the premier episode of Wrestling War Zone: The Monday Night Wars, JT Rozzero & Chad Campbell break down the 9/11/95 episodes of Monday Night Raw and Monday Nitro. They talk “Raw on the Roof”, the arrival of Dean Douglas, Sid the Loser, the state of the Smoking Gunns, the WCW debut of Sabu, the soft Dungeon of Doom, the greatness of Mongo, the lame ass Hulk Hogan and much more.

So sit back, settle in and join JT and Chad as they work their way through the one and only Monday Night Wrestling War era!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this episode of Wrestling War Zone: The Monday Night Wars, JT Rozzero & Chad Campbell break down Fall Brawl 1995. They talk a red hot opener, beast mode Craig Pittman, the awfulness of Renegade, DDP’s ascension, Booker T. vs. Johnny B. Badd, the long awaited Flair/Anderson battle, a disastrous War Games and much more.

So sit back, settle in and join JT and Chad as they work their way through the one and only Monday Night Wrestling War era!

http://placetobenation.com/wrestling-war-zone-the-monday-night-wars-2-fall-brawl-1995/

In this episode of Wrestling War Zone: The Monday Night Wars, JT Rozzero & Chad Campbell break down the 9/18/95 episodes of Raw and Nitro. They talk Pepe, The Giant’s first promo, a shocking title change, a big win for Mr. Wonderful, Baywatch, the continuation of Savage’s issues with Luger, another hot Dean Douglas attack, an awful Million Dollar Corporation tag team match, the rise of Jean-Pierre Lafitte, a surprisingly fun main event for Raw and much more.

http://placetobenation.com/wrestling-war-zone-the-monday-night-wars-3-9-18-95/

I'm pretty sure JT came to the right conclusion: I distinctly remember most of these early Monday nights and these shows definitely aired head-to-head. For instance, I remember the shock tag title change but I never even knew about the Bluebloods/Eaton fakeout until years later, I think all the way until I watched the '95 Yearbook here, because I happened to be on Raw while that part was going on.

I actually have no memory at all of Thursday Raw replays and don't even remember Meltzer going over them in the WON, so I don't think they lasted long.

In this episode of Wrestling War Zone: The Monday Night Wars, JT Rozzero & Chad Campbell dive into WWF In Your House #3. They talk about the Raw Thursday replay mystery, an odd loss for Waylon Mercy, the sad spiraling of Sid, a big night for the Bulldog, Bigelow as a face, the ugly tights of Dean Douglas, the gem that is Hart vs. Lafitte, confusion in the main event and much more.

http://placetobenation.com/wrestling-war-zone-the-monday-night-wars-4-in-your-house-3/

In this episode of Wrestling War Zone: The Monday Night Wars, JT Rozzero & Chad Campbell dive into WWF In Your House #3. They talk about the Raw Thursday replay mystery, an odd loss for Waylon Mercy, the sad spiraling of Sid, a big night for the Bulldog, Bigelow as a face, the ugly tights of Dean Douglas, the gem that is Hart vs. Lafitte, confusion in the main event and much more.[/size]

So sit back, settle in and join JT and Chad as they work their way through the one and only Monday Night Wrestling War era![/size]

http://placetobenation.com/wrestling-war-zone-the-monday-night-wars-4-in-your-house-3/

While 1995 was a bad year for the WWF both creatively and at the box office, they had enough talent to succeed if booked correctly. Bam Bam was over huge after the LT match and then turned on by the Million Dollar Corporations, but his momentum was stymied. Sid turning on Shawn was a great angle, but his push was also stymied. Bret Hart had incredible matches with Lafitte and Hakushi and Diesel, and Shawn had great matches with everyone, but there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to the booking. Diesel was over when he destroyed Backlund to win the title, but they made him this smiling, nice guy instead of the cool badass he was. They did absolutely nothing with Lex, and Hakushi and Lafitte were not utilized correctly as well. The talent was there. The booking was atrocious. And Shane Douglas was someone they didn’t need to bring in. He was a complete waste.

I'll be honest lads, when I first saw these, my reaction was 'Really? Jesus, again?!!!' but you've put a fresh coat of paint on the topic and it's been interesting so far.

Now, how about you two bridge the gap from the last WTBBP and cover WCW PPVs from July 93 to August 95?

In this episode of Wrestling War Zone: The Monday Night Wars, JT Rozzero & Chad Campbell dive into the 9/25/95 Monday Night Raw and Monday Nitro. They talk about dieting, the Observer notes of the week, the arrival of Clarence Mason, Marty Jannetty’s return, a big tag title change and the state of the tag division, the elevation of Davey Boy Smith, the first appearance of Disco Inferno, a great night for the Giant, the allegiance of Lex Luger, a surprising upset win for Meng, and much more.

Thanks Mick, I continue to think stuff involving the attitude era is viewed as old hat but even In the match discussion archive some of the lowest replied stuff is from 95-99 so I do believe there is value in revisiting. Giant in particular is looking better in retrospect so far.

Thanks Mick, I continue to think stuff involving the attitude era is viewed as old hat but even In the match discussion archive some of the lowest replied stuff is from 95-99 so I do believe there is value in revisiting. Giant in particular is looking better in retrospect so far.

I think there’s tons of value in it. I have only listened to the first two eps so far but I am loving it. It has definitely proven to me that I can pretty much watch any 1 hour wrestling show in the format of ‘90s Nitro/Raw and enjoy it. Shows are just a breeze for me.

In this episode of Wrestling War Zone: The Monday Night Wars, JT Rozzero & Chad Campbell dive into the 10/2/95 Monday Night Raw and Monday Nitro. They talk about lawnmowers, yard sales, Lex Luger finally battling Randy Savage, Eddie Guerrero’s arrival, a sneaky Kevin Sullivan attack, Flair vs. Anderson II, the 1995 baseball season, the OJ Simpson verdict, a tough night for the Kid, and much more.

http://placetobenation.com/wrestling-war-zone-the-monday-night-wars-6-10-2-95/

To add to the love this show is getting, I'm really enjoying the format - this is the perfect level of serious discussion with humour - exactly the right balance. While the Monday Night Wars - particularly as you get into the Austin/nWo periods - are well documented, it'd great the level of detail and analysis you are going into as well as highlighting all those smaller details that tend to get forgotten under the weight of the big iconic segments that we always see on the RAW anniversary shows. I went back and watched all the RAWs and PPVs from the WWF in 1997 on the Network which was a fantastic year, but given I've been wanting another Network rewatch project to get into may have to start following along with all the shows as well as your podcasts.

• 3 weeks later...

In this episode of Wrestling War Zone: The Monday Night Wars, JT Rozzero & Chad Campbell dive into the 10/9/95 Monday Night Raw and Monday Nitro. They catch up on their personal lives for a few minutes and then talk about a huge six man tag match on Raw, Waylon Mercy’s final salvo, the early days of WWF on AOL, an epic heel beatdown, the sad descent of Skip, a hot start to Nitro, a wild brawl between Sabu and Mr. JL, the continuing issues between Sting, Savage and Luger, Zodiac and a sunroof, more Flair vs. Anderson and much more.

http://placetobenation.com/wrestling-war-zone-the-monday-night-wars-7-10-9-95/