Pro Wrestling Only

I just watched SmackDown!

Guest TheNewAge

Guest TheNewAge

Another decent show from what is, easily, the company's best brand. Despite that, it had a really weird vibe to it, like most SmackDown!s, but more than usual.

The crowd reactions are maybe the weakest I've ever heard for SD. There was no real reaction to any match. Certain guys are still over, and Batista got a good return pop, but it seems like the crowd has no reason to care about anyone, and they don't. The battle royal, the Kennedy match, Vito's match, etc. They were all played to a dead audience, and it really takes away from what is, otherwise, a thoroughly enjoyable show.

I missed the first segment, but I presume it was merely setting up the battle royal. The battle royal itself was dull, but good to see Booker win, and I liked it well enough once it got down to the final seven. The King's Court tossing Kennedy to the faces, London and Kendrick being made to look important, and Regal's reaction to Booker's win were all great. Finlay and Regal NEED to enter into a feud with London and Kendrick once "The Hooligans" are done with Kash and Noble. Hell, give them and Booker all the gold and SmackDown will be even better. The possibilities for Finlay and Regal as champs are pretty neat, especially once Benoit gets back. I'd bring Angle back on SmackDown and you've got one awesome tag feud on your hands there.

Rey's interview was pretty bad, and he didn't exactly say anything new. It seems like they're going to use Henry's attack last week as a basis for Chavo's heel turn. I'd think Rey/Henry at Slam with Chavo returning then.

I can see why they didn't like Kennedy/Crazy. It looked like they could have a good match if they went over it at house shows and such, but this was just a total mess. Really awkward, sloppy and just quite bad, really. I don't hate Kennedy like some, but he needs to tone it down a little, as his constant taunting of Crazy really slowed it down at times. I look forward to Psicosis vs. Crazy, but I still think it's too soon.

I think they may have edited the Khali match over here, as one minute he tossed Tatanka in to the ring, the next the match was over. No idea what the GAB match will be about, and I'm still not sure why they're calling out Taker when they beat him clean at JD. Tatanka has a strange voice.

Pitbulls' match was ok, if short. JBL is doing a really good job putting these guys over, and London and Kendrick, for that matter. The finish was pretty weak, but I like that they've used two different finishes now.

Helms vs. Lashley was less of a squash than I had imagined, but still nothing special, and pretty quick. They need to do something with Helms. I would have thought a three-way with the Mexicools, but I doubt that now.

Main event segment did its job well enough, but Batista's return pop was less than they probably would have wanted. Crowd was still into him, though. Beatdown was pretty cool, especially tossing Henry headfirst into the steps. Rey looked like a loser, yet again, and I'm not sure about his involvement. It seemed like they may have been setting up some problems between rey and Batista. They didn't hint at that, but that's the vibe I got. Batista snapping at the end could be hints of a heel turn, but I dunno how wise it would be to turn probably the most over face on the show.

Kennedy's push is all but over now since Heyman was his big backer and he's concentrating on ECW. I have a feeling the people who don't like Paul are going to take it out on Mr. Kennedy...................

Kennedy.

Um... I thought one of Kennedy's biggest backers was Vinnie Mac?

Sort of.

Kennedy (or Ken Anderson) was one of Heyman's pet projects in OVW, as he was pushed pretty strong down there. I believe Paul even suggested the name change to Kennedy as a way of get him over with Vince, but I could be wrong on that.

At any rate, most of the reports have the backstage opinon of Kennedy completely turning to the point that the feeling is "the ship has sailed" regarding any future pushes. It's been suggested that Johnny Ace in particular was eager to squash any plans for him just because of his personal feelings toward Heyman.

Um... I thought one of Kennedy's biggest backers was Vinnie Mac?

Sort of.

Kennedy (or Ken Anderson) was one of Heyman's pet projects in OVW, as he was pushed pretty strong down there. I believe Paul even suggested the name change to Kennedy as a way of get him over with Vince, but I could be wrong on that.

At any rate, most of the reports have the backstage opinon of Kennedy completely turning to the point that the feeling is "the ship has sailed" regarding any future pushes. It's been suggested that Johnny Ace in particular was eager to squash any plans for him just because of his personal feelings toward Heyman.

And that seventh grade mentality is what's killing the business. Somewhere down the line, WWE stopped being about making as much money as possible and became solely about making Vince's ego three times its normal size.