Pro Wrestling Only

[2001-01-07-Osaka Pro] Kuishinbo Kamen vs Ebessan

gordi

I think this was only the second time these two faced each other one-on-one (though they had already been in countless tag matches together over the previous two years). This is, I believe, in the Rinkai Sports Center (with the fans at ringside sitting on mats). The entrances have me misting up with nostalgia. How many times have I been one of the fans hanging snacks around Kuishin's neck? How many times have I been blessed by Ebessan? (Literally dozens of times).

For me, their (many, many, many) comedy spots are like "Who's on First" or "The Seven Words You Can't Say on TV." Just straight-up classic comedy that you practically know by heart, to the point where it's more nostalgic than funny... but the timing is so precise and wonderful that you find yourself laughing out loud anyway.

Matsui (the referee) deserves equal credit for his role in this. They work together so damned well. I'm not even kidding at all when I say that I rank this pairing (plus Matsui) right up there with Flair vs Steamboat, Tenryu vs Jumbo, Von Erichs vs Freebirds, Hansen vs Colon... Everything they do together is going to be worth watching, for me.

I think the 2 out of 3 falls match from 2003 is their masterpiece, but this particular one is pretty special too. They get a lot of time here, so they can get a ton of stuff in without rushing anything, and they work a long, hot finishing sequence as well.

• GSR changed the title to [2001-01-07-Osaka Pro] Kuishinbo Kamen vs Ebessan
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have been trying to formulate how to rank high end comedy matches and whether they should be up there with hardcore and other styles that I do seemingly have as MOTYC in many years. This was definitely high end comedy. Gordi is accurate in that it felt very classical in a routine style than the absurd style that DDT ventures into sometimes, but that classic style still produced some laugh out loud moments for me mainly Ebessen getting crotched trying to do the Shinzaki walk. Shout out to Matsui who is still an amazing ref to this day as he was on point here and helped add to the spots and comedy overall. A real treat to watch and I match I needed to see on a crap day. **** (8.2)