Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-12-03-Monterrey] El Dandy & Damian 666 & Pimpinela Escarlata & Zumbido vs Tony Rivera & Tarzan Boy & Mascara Sagrada & Silver Star

ohtani's jacket

This was really good. So good that not even Damian's shitty comedy could drag it down.

It started off with an excellent exchange between Dandy and Rivera that really surprised me. Dandy has been on an upward swing over the past few months and is back to his world-class best. He's gotten into shape and looks the fittest he's been since I would say 1991. In retrospect, the renaissance he underwent with the Negro Navarro feud in 2001 was no surprise as he was simply outstanding against Rivera. Hot on the heels of Dandy and Rivera came Zumbido and Tarzan Boy. Now, these two blew me away. Who would have thought they'd be so good together? Zumbido has never looked this good against anybody else and while Tarzan Boy has blossomed into a good worker, I wasn't anticipating the speed and precision that they delivered. Knocked my socks off. Pimpi, Damian and Silver Star couldn't add much to the match but they didn't detract from it either. Pimpi and Damian did their comedy spots but they were quick and purposeful and didn't grind the match to a halt. So often these matches start well and then stall halfway through but Dandy & Co never let up. Mascara Sagrada was slow and out of shape but even he tried to work holds.

You look at that tecnico side and you think this has no business being good but never judge a trios match by its cover. Or its participants, as the case may be. One of the better, more entertaining trios matches of the year. 

• GSR changed the title to [2000-12-03-Monterrey] El Dandy & Damian 666 & Pimpinela Escarlata & Zumbido vs Tony Rivera & Tarzan Boy & Mascara Sagrada & Silver Star
  • 3 weeks later...

Good lucha action and I thought the sequences between Dandy and Zumbido with TB and Rivera were the highlights. I do keep hoping we will see a full fledged rudo TB as that has to be happening soon. Pimpinela didn’t really do a ton here but she hit her spots and was active when called upon. Sagrada was never the smoothest worker but he took some awkward bumps and seemed to be a half step off. Silver Star is exactly what I think of when I hear the term replacement level luchador. Overall, Monterrey has kind of seemed like a place where the action is fine but the workers are holding back. This felt like a case of them going out there and giving close to max effort and in the case of Dandy, allowing him to showcase his talent where he isn’t getting the opportunity elsewhere right now. ***3/4 (7.3)

• 1 year later...