Pro Wrestling Only

[2003-01-04-NJPW-Wrestling World 2003] Yoshihiro Takayama vs Tsuyoshi Kohsaka

superkix

This was good and a fun contrast of shoot-style and pro-wrestling with Takayama using his brute force against Kohsaka's finesse on the mat. TK goes after the legs early on and works through some holds with Takayama. Good stuff from both guys here. TK applies an STF and transitions into a rear naked choke, and whenever Takayama tries to power out, TK will catch him with another hold. Takayama ragdolls him with a suplex throws but TK comes back with some big kicks, goes for an armbar and then traps him in a leglock when the lights go out momentarily. I was half-expecting to see Kane in the ring when they came back on but no. Takayama starts with the knee lifts, trying to avoid TK's submissions, and after throwing him with a nasty release German, he pins TK with a running knee to win the NWF title. A weird finish but still a really good match. 

• GSR changed the title to [2003-01-04-NJPW-Wrestling World 2003] Yoshihiro Takayama vs Tsuyoshi Kohsaka
  • 3 years later...

I did not know that Kohsaka worked some New Japan matches. This was pretty fun. Probably not the right environment for it, but they didn't hold back. I don't know how I would have felt about Koshaka working New Japan full-time, but I do know that Japan was desperately missing the likes of Tamura and Kohsaka at this time. Takayama is pretty much the MVP in terms of being able to cross over and work any promotion, but the talent pool in Japan is thin. Tamura vs. Takayama is another fight I would have liked to have seen around this time. 

• 1 year later...

Yoshihiro Takayama vs Tsuyoshi Kohsaka - NJPW Tokyo Dome 1/4/03 Vacant NWF Title

Kohsaka in New Japan?!? LFG! I would’nt have expected him to get such a high profile match as the finalist to resurrect the NWF title. Takayama was a shoe-in to win this match but Kohsaka didn’t make it easy. Kohsaka got about 75% of the match and was an absolute Tasmanian Devil out there. Everything was a cloud of dust, legs and arms. You keep expecting Takayama to catch him with a big bomb and murderize him but it never happens to the absolute end. Kohsaka worked all the usual bag of tricks leglocks, armbars, and chokes. I liked Takayama modulating his selling. Getting more desperate and more worn down as the match progressed. On every stand-up, Takayama always got a strike flurry of kicks and knees. This led to Kohsaka getting progressively more rocked. There’s a point where Takayama tries the Everest German too early but he needs more kicks and knees to execute it. I thought it was over after the Everest but Kohsaka gets a Hail Mary Triangle I think they wanted a powerbomb to seal it but they lose control and Takayama hits an ugly sliding knee to finish off a run, scrappy contest. ***1/2