Pro Wrestling Only

[1933-02-22-Los Angeles, CA] Jim Londos vs Oki Shikina

Loss

• GSR changed the title to [1933-02-22-Los Angeles, CA] Jim Londos vs Oki Shikina
  • 5 years later...

Alternative camera angle with some additional footage and narration:

Speaking of things he invented in pro wrestling - 40 years before Inoki, Jim Londos was doing a special mixed rules match! Him and Oki Shikina battle it out under the following conditions: a round of jiu-jitsu (which at this point should be best understood as just "jacket grappling") followed by a round of good old-school catch-as-catch-can. Ok, there's a good chance someone did it before him, but do you really care? This match we have footage of and it looks absolutely amazing. You could basically copy/paste this match into 70s New Japan without any problem, and it wouldn't look that out of place even in the late 90s Inokiism era. Shikina busts out a bunch of great classic Judo offence like the Footsweeps and Sacrifice throws, and even hits something akin to a modern BJJ Scissors Sweep at one point. Londos is a natural at dramatizing fighting and absolutely matches Shikina in using the jacket to spice up his usual offense, using the collar grips for control and leverage so he could strike and throw. I really wish there there was at least 10 minutes of this because I have a hunch I'd be rating it as a classic. Still, the magnificence of Jim Londos shines so brightly here. Take the finish as an example. He goes through his finishing barrage of slams, and then stops for a second, hits Shikina with a Kesagiri chop to add insult to injury and then finally puts him down. Am I really supposed to watch something like this, scratch my head and go "hmmm geez, I can't really make up my mind on whether Jim Londos is one of the greatest wrestlers of all time or not"? Cause it doesn't sound very convincing to me right now.