Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-04-12-JCP-Charlotte, NC] Arn Anderson vs Ron Garvin

paul sosnowski

• GSR changed the title to [1986-04-12-JCP-Charlotte, NC] Arn Anderson vs Ron Garvin
  • 2 years later...

NWA TV Champion Arn Anderson vs Ronnie Garvin - JCP 4/12/86

Probably too clipped up to rate as it is 13 minutes of 20 but the clipping of this handheld is all over the place. 

Garvin swarms Arn to start in the corner and is all over him. Arn powders. Our video cameraman is not a Horseman fan it sounds like. JCP crowds in 1986 are the best. Garvin grabs a top wristlock and they go bananas! Our cameraman informs us that "Arn is a big baby like Tully Blanchard". I love how Arn always puts over the Hands of Stone. Garvin cocks his fist and Arn drops down and powders. Awesome! Get a clip after a tussle over a top wristlock to the ten minute mark. It seems like the cut out mostly shine. I am a big fan of shine so that matters to me. Arn starts to target the leg of Garvin. They are in a long drawn out hold and based on our vantage point does not look too interesting. Garvin starts to fire back with big chops. Arn does the Flair Flop. Arn & Tully are less likely to go toe to toe with Garvin like Flair would and puts a damper on their matches with Garvin. I am a bit lower on the popular Garvin/Tully Worldwide match from May 1986, Tully does not wrestle strong enough in it in my opinion, still a great match but not as good as the high end Flair or Valentine work against Garvin. Garvin stomps the hands. Anderson returns the favor and begins to work the arm. Clip to Garvin taking a big bump. Arn slams the hand against the top turnbuckle which is great psychology. I do believe this plays into the May Worldwide match with Tully. Arn working the hand is the best thing so far in this match. Garvin is selling the hand well and Arn is positively torturing it. As the clock winds down to the time limit, I was like this is really weird. Arn is being so aggressive as a heel champion and the babyface challenger is on defense, but it works perfectly to the finish. The finish rules with about 15 seconds, Garvin rears back and KO's with Hands of Stone BUT he can't cover because he is in too much pain! Arn really sells being knocked out cold well! That was a ***** finish, I'd probably go ~**** overall but hard to say for sure.