Pro Wrestling Only

[1972-01-31-WWWF-MSG, NY] Karl Gotch & Rene Goulet vs The Rugged Russians (Igor & Ivan)

paul sosnowski

• GSR changed the title to [1972-01-31-WWWF-MSG, NY] Karl Gotch & Rene Goulet vs The Rugged Russians (Igor & Ivan)

I absolutely blew my mind seeing the Russian dance or to Happy Days fans the dance that won Fonzie the dance off with Joanie as his partner. This is a good length match which more or less was an exhibition for Gotch. The faces got long shine segments throughout. When the heels had a chance to do some stooge spots they were a lot of fun.The timing was spot on.  Gotch's full nelson spots ruled. Gotch  had a Billy Robinson vibe going. I totally digged Gotch holding onto the armbar. Gotch shows a lot of character here. Weird seeing Gotch eat a fall. Fun stuff.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

• 4 years later...

Gotch’s fire is great in this. Goulet is an excellent tag team wrestler. He never steals the shine from Gotch takes most of the heat (although Gotch takes the fall?!?!?) and has some very fun spots. Wish some more of this combination was on tape as as you can see the potential in this match but the only time it makes it out of second gear is when Gotch dominates the second fall.