Pro Wrestling Only

[2003-10-26-AJPW] Toshiaki Kawada vs Don Frye

superkix

Don Frye has one of the best looks in all of pro-wrestling, pulled straight out of a 90's Capcom beat 'em up. The match itself had a lot of fun moments but unfortunately, the general clunkiness and shitty finishing stretch prevent it from being a great match.  Kawada spends the early minutes of the match hacking out Frye's leg and even when he gets floored with a punch, Kawada is still kicking at the leg. The selling from both guys was terrific. Kawada takes a punch from Frye, falls, gets back up and then immediately collapses out of the ring in classic Kawada fashion. Frye works a front guillotine, turns it into a sleeper hold until it appears Kawada has passed out and the ref forces Frye to break it, much to his chagrin. But Kawada is, in fact, okay and he pummels Frye with elbows in the corner and kicks him in the head. Great visual of Frye hanging limp on the ropes. Also when Kawada gets back to the leg with a hold, Frye has a hold of the ref's leg, trying to pull himself closer to the ropes. Perfecto. Kawada dominates Frye in the final few minutes of the match with backdrops and gamengiris and finishes him off with the stretch plum but it took too long to get there without any rebuttal from Frye.

Man, I had no idea Frye challenging for the Triple Crown was a thing. Judging from Fryes workrate here he really should've been IWGP champion. The first half of this was mindblowing – Frye did a great job selling for Kawada, while also engaging in some of the most violent punch exchanges in pro wrestling history. Really great stuff with Kawada getting rocked repeatedly and desperately trying to shut the MMA fighter down. Unfortunately the way Kawada completely dominated Frye in the second half and no sold all his comebacks was terrible and killed the match.

• 3 years later...

This was better than expected but still a goofy fight. Kawada's selling sucked. I guess I was wrong thinking he had potential to work worked shoots. Perhaps that Albright match was a fluke. I've pretty much given up on expecting anything good from Kawada at this point. He had some good matches in the 00s with Tenryu and Mutoh, but he's half the worker he was in his prime. 

• 8 months later...

Way harsh, OJ, I thought Kawada crushed it in this match. Great shoot-style brawl. Echo Jetlag’s sentiments completely the first ten minutes of this is sublime!

AJPW Triple Crown Champion Toshiaki Kawada vs Don Frye - AJPW 10/26/03 Budokan

The last of the October Anniversary shows to take place at the Budokan! Toshiaki Kawada is embarking on the Triple Crown reign he deserved for years finally not snake-bitten by injuries unfortunately this is decline of All Japan. Mutoh/Tenryu/Kawada was enough to keep All Japan competitive for 3 years but it was not a sustainable business model and outside of Kojima it looked like they didn’t have a future. For their big Anniversary show they tap Mutoh’s good friend, Don Frye! I think is a great challenger for a bigs how and gives All Japan a different wrinkle and Frye a different environment.

Hands down this is the best Don Frye match I have ever seen! Frye looks bitchin’ as hell and I have wanted to love him but he didn’t click until now but that’s now surprising because Kawada works really  with shooters. Frye really sold and bumped well for Kawada. After watching this, he deserved a high level run in the US or Japan.

Frye brings an extra pair of fingerless MMA gloves and tosses them to Kawada. Kawada throws them away saying he is willing to breaking his hands on Frye’s skull. Fuck yeah! Frenetic start! Tasmanian Devil Dust Cloud! Bang on muthafuckas! Kawada gets the early advantage knotting up Frye’s hammie with kicks. Frye sells it like a million bucks. I love in these pro wrestler vs shooter matches how the pro wrestlers have to come up with openings against the shooters. Kawada is either working the leg or being a prick. He gets caught trying to get cute with Frye’s leg and Frye makes him pay with big bombs! This stretch here where they stand & bang rules! After the first barrage, Kawada is throwing desperation kicks from his ass to Frye’s hammy as Frye flops in pain. KAWADA POTATO~! That seems to wake Frye up who unleashes hell on Kawada! Kawada awesome sell and powder. It Is all Frye now as Kawada is playing right into his hands playing the stand & bang game. Frye chokes Kawada out! Ref stops to check Kawada in the ropes! This respite gives Kawada life he rocks Frye with bows from both sides. In the next scramble he gets a heel hook and never looks back. This is the one drawback of this match after that heel hook Frye gets zero offense. It lasts another 5-7 minutes. It is a great asskicking. Frye bumps and sells like a champ for Kawada but that’s what keeps from an all-timer. Kawada wins with a stretch plum! Even with the squashy finish I loved the first ten minutes of this. Killer shoot-style brawl! Add another feather in Kawada range cap! I still like Misawa and Kobashi more but this is something Kawada is clearly better at than them is wrestling people out of his comfort zone, adapting and making himself, the opponent and the match look good. ****