Pro Wrestling Only

[1985-12-28-NWA-Worldwide] Ric Flair & Ole & Arn Anderson vs Dusty Rhodes & Magnum T.A. & Manny Fernandez

paul sosnowski

• GSR changed the title to [1985-12-28-NWA-Worldwide] Ric Flair & Ole & Arn Anderson vs Dusty Rhodes & Magnum T.A. & Manny Fernandez
  • 2 months later...

I dont know what it is, but I I get close to finishing a project in this case, WWF 1988-1992, and just cant close it out and I get a hankering to watch something different. I have learned to go with my instincts otherwise I stop enjoying what I am watching. 

The Horsemen (Ric Flair, Ole & Arn Anderson) vs Dusty Rhodes, Magnum TA & Manny Fernandez - Worldwide 12/21/85

The height of the Original Horsemen as this is post-leg breaking angle and Starrcade 1985. I dont know if they are officially the Horsemen yet but Flair & Blanchard do a spot promo for Philly where Flair says Dusty puts his leg on the line when he goes out there against him. Dusty was twerking before twerking was cool, daddy. Lots of gyrations & vibrations from the American Dream early on. Flair vs Dusty in the ring is just electric. 

The match itself is a ton of fun and chicken soup for the pro wrestling fan soul. Arn is a bumping and stooging master. Great shine. Arn & Manny are so energetic. Dusty is so charismatic. Flair eats some offense from Dusty and then a press slam from Magnum. Back from break, Magnum is getting beat up and Flair busts out the double stomp. Why did he stop doing that? Thats such a great move. Manny gets the tag and again Arn is bumping for him. Arn pulls Manny's trunks so that he falls into the Horsemen corner. That's smart tag team wrestling. Pretty good heat segment on Manny. Flair hits a nice vertical suplex and then spits at Dusty. Great spot. A really good hope spot is Manny back dropping Flair but he back drops him into the Horsemen corner so that Arn is able to get the tag and cut Manny off from making the tag. Great use of tag team psychology there. Nice interesting wrinkle in this match as there is no hot tag! Manny hits a flying burrito goes for the cover and this triggers the melee. In the fracas, Arn wallops Manny with a steel chair and Ole pins him to win the match while Dusty has Flair in the figure-4. The Horsemen jump Dusty and look to break his leg again with a chair, but Magnum makes the save. 

A really fun Crockett six-man tag team match with a ton of heat. Just six great characters going out cutting loose. I really liked the chaotic finish and how there was no hot tag. ***3/4 

• GSR changed the title to [1985-12-28-NWA-Worldwide] Ric Flair & Ole & Arn Anderson vs Dusty Rhodes & Magnum T.A. & Manny Fernandez
  • 3 years later...

What do you get when you take six memorable characters and give them TV time and a hot Carolina crowd? Magic. Before the match, Flair cut a promo, vowing to go after Rhodes' leg. The heels are hesitant to start, with Flair immediately tagging out to Arn. Once things begin properly, Arn and Fernandez pick up where they left off in their quality singles match in April. Fernandez is electric, as is America's Team, who pinball Ole around the ring when he tries to save Arn. Arn comes back in and is the most delightful stooge. He eats a series of punches from America's Team, ending up back in his corner and tagging in Ole.

Ole takes the brunt of the punishment, bumping and stooging for the heroes. Things come down to Flair and Rhodes, but they're careful not to give away too much of that match-up. It's a small detail but one that shows how thoughtfully and meticulously the match is laid out. Back from a commercial, Flair and the Andersons isolate Magnum. They're as dastardly as can be, triple-teaming him behind the ref's back and employing some nasty arm work.

Fernandez tags back in, managing to take out both of the Andersons. Arn grabs the tights to pull Fernandedz back into his corner, which is both villainous and something you don't see often. The beatdown continues on Fernandez, and he fights as best he can, but before he can make the hot tag, the match breaks down into chaos. All six competitors end up entering the ring, with a brawl ensuing. Arn grabs a chair and waffles Fernandez with it while the ref is distracted, allowing Flair and the Andersons to steal the victory. Ole and Arn hold down Rhodes so Flair can use a chair on his leg, but Magnum makes the save. Great television wrestling at its simplest.

***3/4