Pro Wrestling Only

[1975-07-25-AJPW] Giant Baba vs Fritz von Erich (Texas Death)

paul sosnowski

• GSR changed the title to [1975-07-25-AJPW] Giant Baba vs Fritz von Erich (Texas Death)
  • 2 months later...

Fritz von Erich is one of the grittiest pro wrestlers of all time, and slotting him in a double juice last man standing from 1975 produces a suitably gritty result. Fritz may have the greatest grimace in wrestling, as when he is covered in blood he looks straight out of a horror move and when his claw of doom slowly descends on Babas face you can sense real terror. I enjoyed Baba stomping and chopping away at Fritzs arm and shoulder with his giant mutant hands and feet, altough the hand work didn't prevent him from getting CLAW'd. Baba gasping for air like a fish out of water after Erich put the stomach claw on him was an epic visual. Still I wish I could see Fritz having this match against someone a little more energetic than Baba and I thought Baba decimating Fritz with his trademark weak chops wasn't the greatest finish.

• 5 years later...

Giant Baba vs Fritz Von Erich - AJPW 7/25/75 Texas Death

Fritz Von Erich, shitty human being, terrific pro wrestler. He feels like the type of pro wrestler that if we had more of him, he would be a Top 100 Wrestler Ever. The Fritz Punt is so badass I wish someone would crib that. These two had a 5 star classic in 1966 excited to see what they can do in 1975 under Texas Death rules (gotta win by a 10 count). I haven’t seen Baba in years what an alien looking dude. 

Fritz attacks right at the bell and we get an early punt that puts a smile on my face. He applies the Claw on the ref and throws him out of the ring. The brawling out of the ring is hard to make out but somehow Fritz get lacerated on the side of the head which creates a sick visual for the rest of the match. Baba gets a stream going from his forehead and we double juice early. Baba is Baba he is fighting back with chops. Fritz pelts him with some  great punches. CLAW~! In the ring. Baba sells it so well. Baba of course uses the Chop to break the hold. We get some great hand psychology with Baba kicking the hand and Fritz missing the Claw a couple times driving his hand into the mat. Fritz starts going for Stomach Claw so that he won’t miss. It works well. They end up back outside. Fritz missed a wild right and Baba gets a classic slashing, slinging Baba chop that knocks Fritz for a loop. They play King of the Mountain. Baba with a Jumping Head Chop & Big Boot finally puts the Big Texan down for ten. Of course to get his heat back, Fritz puts the Stomach Claw back on him.

Fritz was a maniacal psycho in this match, the visual of him bleeding from one side of the head and like horror movie villain constantly coming at you with the CLAW~! Was so sick. Baba is such a great babyface this weird looking, gangly, uncoordinated & enormous dude  just throwing chops like his life depended on it. I thought it got a little long In the tooth but it was still a ton of fun. Not as good as their 1966 classic, but few matches are. This is still a killer match and something everyone should check out. ****1/4