Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-01-12-WWE-NXT UK Takeover: Blackpool] Pete Dunne vs Joe Coffey

paul sosnowski

Not sure why they felt they need to go 34 minutes here. That said, they probably had a better 34 minute match than I could have expected them to have. The last 10 minutes or so was very watchable and the match had quite a unique feel, even if the work wasn't always on point. More importantly, the aftermath with WALTER's debut was fantastic and I can;t wait to see WALTER/Dunne. Joe Coffey's probably best off teaming with his brother in the tag division for now.

Jesus christ what a pile of crap this was. I don’t really use this word to describe wrestling but this was so mastabatoury. They dragged everything out to try and force an epic, even having the "crowd claps for us" spots. I don’t know how long they went, but it felt like forever. The match dragged every second of the way. Dull, dull grappling at the beginning, none of it was gripping to me, nor was it exciting to watch. Then they soon transitioned into hitting moves with no flow, kicking out of them for no reason and they completely botched that ending run. I mean three bitter end kickouts? Ridiculous. Now to give them their due, there was some nicely put together sequences but they were few and far between all the rubbish this match bad. They tried to have an epic, it didn’t work. *

• GSR changed the title to [2019-01-12-WWE-NXT UK Takeover: Blackpool] Pete Dunne vs Joe Coffey

Stop doing 30 minute title matches. It's just not necessary. I get they wanted to make Coffey look as strong as possible in losing, but this was just overkill at its very core which has become a theme for Pete Dunne recently for whatever reason. There was some really great stuff from like the 10 to 25 minute mark. And then they just kept going and going and going.. 3 Bitter End kick outs? Really? For this literal nobody? And then the botches at the end were just the icing on the cake of this awkward mess. At least they had WALTER at the end there to save this disappointment, ***3/4.