Pro Wrestling Only

[1975-04-17-Joint Promotions] Alan Sarjeant vs Robby Baron

Jetlag

This is one of my all time favourite WoS matches. I'd put the grappling here up there with high end RINGS or lucha title matches. Just one trippy takedown or sweep after another, followed by another weirdo counter. The match didn't have huge intensity, but both guys worked hard for the holds and tried submissions. There are a few spots and logical reasonings that you will only see in a World of Sport match – choosing not to slam the opponent and instead forcing him to slip down your back, trying to pin his shoulders while in a surfboard, tripping the other guy while he is setting up a move etc. The highly entertaining work they do around a super basic move like a stepover toe hold here puts even many elite workers to shame. There are some callbacks to previous holds and situations, so the match is far from mindless. Last pin combo is brilliant and blew my mind at the time.

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1975-04-17-Joint Promotions] Alan Sarjeant vs Robby Baron