Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-04-05-WWE-NXT Takeover: New York] Matt Riddle vs Velveteen Dream

ShittyLittleBoots

BY FAR the best thing on the show. Two awesome wrestlers & personalities clashing - loved the storytelling with Riddle straight up destroying Dream for majority of the match, but Dream used his small openings to the maximum & in the end caught Riddle by a surprise, as he countered Bromission into a pin. Terrific performances by both; Riddle with his killer work on the offense & Dream with his strong selling & really good hope spots. Loved pretty much everything bell-to-bell, but the moment that made me pop the biggest was Riddle no-selling Dream's German Suplex hope spot. Dream should've been watching his indy tapes, because if he did, he would've known that them Germans don't work on Riddle, BRO. ****

I thought Dream had damn near broke his neck on that German suplex off the middle rope.  Funny that you should mention the near falls and kick outs in the main event because I was thinking that about this, also wish Dream would've sold his ankle(s) after that double ankle lock spot,  although that shows that he's still got some way to go despite the off the charts charisma.  Marked like a motherfucker when he 'Hulked up' mind.  Third best match of the night for me (not that I rate it that far behind WALTER/Dunne and the opener) and I was hoping Riddle was going to snap after the loss, he's tailor made for being a heel.

Riddle's best performance in NXT so far. I liked his dominance over Dream because it made sense. Even though Hogan can get fucked, I liked Dream's hulk up a lot which made for a great comeback. In a way this became a car crash with both guys just pulling out several different moves from other notable wrestlers around the world and Riddle just killing Dream with his bombs. It gave Dream another great performance, so I can't complain, ****1/4.

Thought this was excellent. Riddle turned up the heel persona by being extra relentless and bringing some fantastic offense to contrast nicely with Dream's 80's meets modern era style. The fact that Dream's offense isn't the best (especially with those axe handles) actually kind of added to the match for me? It made Riddle feel like an even bigger mountain to climb. That Dream got the quick pin to counter the Bromission for the victory was surprising and so satisfying that I didn't even mind that Riddle settled back into a face persona after the match. Great stuff bell to bell here.

****1/4

I haven't really paid much attention to Riddle since he's been in NXT. My commitment to following along with any promotion at this point never lasts very long and so I might've missed something worthwhile. So this might not be his best match in NXT, but I will make the very bold claim based on pretty much nothing other than this very match that he won't have many better. I'll watch anything with Dream, so I was pretty hyped and it didn't disappoint. The early parts in Velveteen Dream matches will always put a smile on my face and I liked Riddle being as chilled as always, having fun taking Dream over with tricked out submissions and generally having a good time doing what he does. None of Dream's horse shit was working on him and Riddle gyrating his hips while he was tossing him around was amusing. Then Dream stomped on Riddle's bare foot and that was that. He pissed him off and as soon as Riddle took over - with the awesome German suplex on the floor - he just went on a tear. This was such a cool Matt Riddle performance, the way he dropped the breezy attitude and tried to mangle Dream. He flirted once or twice with his heel side as well, throwing some mean strikes before releasing on a rope break, punting Dream in the chest, doing everything with a scowl. Dream's Hulk-Up stuff is obviously carny as fuck, but I'll always get a kick out of it and I liked how it led to the double ax handle to the floor, which he'd tried earlier before Riddle grabbed him and took over. The finishing run never got excessive at all and it meant that, outside the finish itself, the biggest spot led to the biggest nearfall. That German/Flying Bro sequence was incredible and Dream took the German almost full Kobashi style right on his cranium. Finish itself was great too. Riddle can grab and submit a guy from anywhere, but Dream is resourceful and the champ for a reason. He weathered the storm, took everything Riddle threw at him and managed to pull it out in the clutch. You get the sense there's a bigger match in them as well, and that's pretty refreshing when just about every match these days shoots for epic first time out. I can't remember the last time I was disappointed by a Velveteen Dream match.