Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-06-26-WWE-NXT TV] Shayna Baszler vs Io Shirai (Cage)

Ricky Jackson

This was one of the best things NXT has done all year. Io and Shayna were great and the drama at the end was really well done. They basically did a modern take on the Snuka vs Muraco cage for the finish (and in a nice touch, Mauro referenced that match earlier), with Shayna picking up a fluke win. Post match sees Io snap on Candice LeRae, a turn that had been slowly building for weeks, and the crowd reacted with legit disappointment at one of their heroes going bad. All eyes were on Io when she left the ring and this felt like a big time moment. That's what happens when you build up characters and stories the crowd care about and get emotionally invested in, instead of diluting everything with overexposure, 7 hour shows, 50-50 booking, bad comedy, lack of logic and all the other negatives that prevent anyone from giving a shit about almost everything on the main roster.

Great match and angle. **** 1/4 for the whole package 

It's your usual Shayna dynamic of her being the bully on top, while her babyface opponent makes awesome comebacks. Shayna is of course really good at delivering a beatdown, and I actually thought that she changed her "usual" a little bit here, by not being so totally focused on one limb, but instead just kicking overall ass a lot. Io sells great - she made everything look very deadly, and I especially loved how vicious those throws into the cage looked due to her incredibly awesome sellin' n' bumpin'. Her comebacks rule in their fiery explosiveness too, and the two big spots (German Suplex, Moonsault) are great. All the Horsewomen & Candice stuff added to the thing too, and greatly raised the drama for the bout without coming off as too overbooked or/and clusterfuck-ish. Also loved the finishing stretch - it first looked & sounded that the heat for the match was dying as Shayna locked in her choke, but as Io showed that she is still in the thing, they got the crowd back big time, and then the whole door-slam thing happened, and I thought it was totally great. Amazing finish. Pretty great stuff all around! Really good, borderline great match, and then there's also a fantastic post-match angle, which makes the whole thing even more memorable. ***3/4

• GSR changed the title to [2019-06-26-WWE-NXT TV] Shayna Baszler vs Io Shirai (Cage)

I really, really dug the finish to the match. It wasn't a bullshit "kick or punch your opponent into the door allowing them to win, although it was in that mold. Baszler had the Kirifuda Clutch and the only think Io could do is use the cage to get out of it leading to Baszler falling out the ring. It wasn't done as contrived as it usually it. The match was pretty violent early on, teasing being rammed into the cage and building to escapes pretty well. I couldn't care less about the interference spots, not really needed at the extent it was used. Great match. ***3/4