Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-07-14-NJPW-G1 Climax 29: Night Three] Hiroshi Tanahashi vs KENTA

ShittyLittleBoots

"The Takeover, the breaks over"... ♫ This was EXACTLY what I wanted it to be. KENTA as the brutal asshole invader taking on the home-promotion legend ace is such a compelling dynamic, and in many ways, it's puro at its purest & best. The staredown during the entrances is intense, and then as the bell rings, things get more intense after every moment. The stiff SLAP from KENTA during the clean break spot, Tana giving a receipt, Tana's aggressive & proud air guitar playing stopped by KENTA's lil kick to the back of his head.. My GOODNESS. Things are escalating at an incredible rate. Then as they take their fight to the outside, KENTA cements control by absolutely brutalizing Tana with kicks & a DDT on the floor. There's this great shot of KENTA's face in there where he has a complete mean-bastard-killer look. The show is his after that outside destruction - he continues beating the shit out of Tanahashi in an absolutely brutal fashion, and it's amazing. Him doing the classic kneepad pull-down spot to him was something that was expected, but oh man, the whole vibe & the setting of him vs. NJPW's golden boy added so much to that spot. Also him corner dropkicking the soul out of Tana's body with Shibata smiling is something I won't forget anytime soon. Other very memorable sequence was the slap one where Tana delivers two dramatic slaps in classic Tana fashion, but KENTA counters the third one with one of his own, followed by his vintage spinning lariat. And the whole PK sequence. Chills when he went for that, and then we he actually hit it - holy shit. This was so great. Like I said; exactly what I wanted it to be. Both guys delivered big with Tana being the fantastic ace babyface that he is with his emotional selling & dramatic comebacks, and that boy KENTA? He sure showed that he indeed is FUCKING KENTA! One of the best matches of the year thus far, and gonna be an easy highlight to remember come end of the year. ****1/2

I am a little behind (finishing the 7/15 show now), but this is my favorite match up to this point.  Kenta looked a little more comfortable and seemed to have better chemistry here. I agree with most of SLB's review. I thought this was top notch stuff. The dynamic was great and Kenta winning by more or less making Tanahashi wrestle a NOAH style match hit all the right buttons for me. ****1/2

Loved KENTA is this. This was the total KENTA show with KENTA brutalising Tanahashi with some nasty strikes and being a real douche to him - the part where KENTA kicked Tanahashi in the back of the head when he was posing was awesome. Tanahashi was very selfless, he let KENTA totally run over him, sold really well all match and thus allowed KENTA to shine even more. ***3/4