Pro Wrestling Only

[1983-02-03-NJPW-New Year Golden Series] Antonio Inoki & Tatsumi Fujinami vs Riki Choshu & Masa Saito

NintendoLogic

I don't know if this match has been in wide circulation before, but it got uploaded to Dailymotion earlier this month, and it's off-the-charts great. If it's not the best New Japan tag of the 80s, it's absolutely in the conversation. The rough uncooperative grappling in the opening minutes sets the tone, as they maintain the intensity throughout and never work like they're going through the motions. I liked how whenever Choshu or Saito got in trouble, they'd bullrush the opponent into their corner to set up their double-teams and cheap shots. It wasn't Southern-style cutting the ring in half, more like 90s All Japan style in embryonic form. Saito's stomps were incredibly vicious, particularly toward the end when it seemed like he was trying to sever Inoki's spine. Fujinami's selling was unfortunately rather spotty, but Inoki's selling down the stretch made up for it. Fantastic finish, as Inoki was clearly on his last legs and his desperation enzuigiris were his only hope.

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1983-02-03-NJPW-New Year Golden Series] Antonio Inoki & Tatsumi Fujinami vs Riki Choshu & Masa Saito
  • 1 year later...

This didn't blow me away as much, but it's still the strongest match yet in the Fujinami/Choshu feud, even if their matchup is the least interesting part about it. I've seen basically the whole of AJPW-era Ishingun, but only now am I really realizing how much Saito's absence there (after the first AJPW tour of 1985 and the first JPW tour, of course) was felt.

Edited by KinchStalker
punctuation correction