Pro Wrestling Only

The end of Dinner With The King

Surprised no one followed this shit.  

I was lapsed on the pod and changed my device that I subscribe to the RSS to late last month and had issues downloading recent episodes.  In fact the hosting site PodAvenue doesn’t even exist anymore! 

I sent a Twitter DM to Lawler’s co-host through the pod’s account about all of this and got no response, and wondered WTF happened.

And OOOOOHHHH BOY what a shit show it turned out to be once I did a little digging.

Turns out the co-host, Glenn Moore, was selling Lawler memorabilia (mostly shirts and commissioned artwork) for high-end prices without King’s consent or knowledge.  And more importantly stiffing buyers of the products complete with endless runaround style back-and-forth conversations about shipping and such, including a charity organization.

Things get murky timeline wise about when King found out, or how deep things were as one interview King said he fired Moore back in December but the pod was active through mid-May and Moore was still hawking stuff on the show’s behalf through June.  Then in early July news started breaking, Lawler made the rounds that included local (Memphis) TV news.

At that point Moore went radio silence/off the grid and hasn’t been heard from since (usually tweeted about wrestling and Cleveland sports)!

Interestingly, in mid-July Lawler made social media posts saying he’d try to make everything right with those whom Moore had scammed, but according to articles floating around a few weeks ago Lawler has been silent on the subject since!  

Granted its been suggested that its for the best that Lawler not get into more legal controversies while his lawsuit over Brian Christopher’s death hasn’t been resolved yet, but it is strange that King has been completely silent on the issue for over a month since saying he’d work with those that were scammed, including the charity organization.

Anyway, certainly a bizarre way for a podcast to “podfade*”

*Term for a podcast that ceases production without any notice or warning from the host (whether its an actual farewell episode, or a social media posting, etc).

It's always been a little fishy to me, especially considering Lawler's been at times the most low-key and high-key scummy guy in wrestling (but hey, he throws a great punch so *handwave*).  Even before everything happened with Brian, his response to those who got swindled was all "I promise to get to the bottom of this and everyone will get what they were owed" then there was zero followup. Then he went on local Memphis TV where he's still treated like a god to make sure he garners maximum sympathy and all the heat was on Moore. 

My personal theory is that they both thought they had a nice side hustle selling Lawler memorabilia, and Moore either got greedy or some shit happened in his personal life and he started promising more than he knew he could deliver. 

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

It's always been a little fishy to me, especially considering Lawler's been at times the most low-key and high-key scummy guy in wrestling (but hey, he throws a great punch so *handwave*).  Even before everything happened with Brian, his response to those who got swindled was all "I promise to get to the bottom of this and everyone will get what they were owed" then there was zero followup. Then he went on local Memphis TV where he's still treated like a god to make sure he garners maximum sympathy and all the heat was on Moore. 

My personal theory is that they both thought they had a nice side hustle selling Lawler memorabilia, and Moore either got greedy or some shit happened in his personal life and he started promising more than he knew he could deliver. 

Speaking of scummy, PodAvenue was shuttered, which like I  hadn’t listened since...actually right around Brian’s death I think.  Been meaning to, but a lot of things going on, and so many pods to listen to.  And I just chalked no episodes since May up to a busy early summer, or whatever, for one or both.  

BUT, their Patreon is STILL ACTIVE!  That’s scummy!  Granted when I quit last night there were just two others, so I’ll assume they were in the same boat as I am, didn’t realize that shit had gone down.  I probably should, and just might report it to Patreon, but there are other “creators” that are still active, even though the non-Patreon part of their project is completed, and I gather there is no way to get a hold of a creator whom had gone radio silent since June.

But still...couldn’t hurt to try.

• 4 weeks later...