Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-11-09-AEW-Full Gear] Chris Jericho vs Cody

paul sosnowski

This was a great, old school story-driven match and I loved it. This one had all kinds of twists and turns, blood, great heat and a really well done finish considering the stip and the history between Cody and MJF. I'm a little torn on going all the way with the turn last night, but the crowd's reaction was great, topped off by MJF being pelted with trash like a good heel should be. This pretty much sets up the ideal scenario for Cody going forward I mentioned a few days ago, have him work blood feuds and have a groundswell of support, and some creative booking, eventually allow him to challenge for the title again. Jericho also keeps his great douchebag old man run going, barely escaping time and again, and when he is finally defeated for the title it will be a big moment. Cody's had a great year, everything has really come together for him. Great stuff

****1/4 

I didn't think this was great, but I applaud Cody's ability to make matches feel important. The guy literally has the crowd in the palm of his hand. This was a rather minimalist approach (like most Cody matches) focused on Jericho wearing down Cody's midsection while the latter would make the occasional fiery comeback. While Cody's cut seemed unintentional, I think the blood helped make the match feel more important even if Jericho didn't necessarily target it. I think they went longer than they needed to but I applaud both guys' approach and knowing this couldn't be the typical AEW spotfest. 

Oh, and the post-match was terrific. ***3/4