Interviews: Mean Gene Okerlund & Lord Alfred Hayes

ROSTER

Hulk Hogan

Randy Savage (w/Miss Elizabeth)

Andre the Giant (w/Bobby Heenan)

Nick Bockwinkel (w/Bobby Heenan)

Paul Orndorff

Greg Valentine (w/Bobby Heenan)

Honky Tonk Man (WWF Intercontinental Champion, w/Johnny V)

Bad News Brown (w/Gary Hart)

Jerry "The King" Lawler (w/Missy Hyatt)

Larry Zbyszko

Brutus Beefcake

Sgt. Slaughter

Tito Santana

"Gorgeous" Jimmy Garvin (w/Precious)

The Crusher

Miguelito Perez

Sika the Wild Samoan

Bobby Jaggers

Mike Kelly

Rip Oliver

David Sammartino

Owen Hart

David "Fit" Finlay

Baron Von Raschke

"Hollywood" John Tatum (w/Missy Hyatt)

Bunkhouse Buck (w/Gary Hart)

Nord the Barbarian (w/Gary Hart)

Wahoo McDaniel

Jerry Grey

Don Muraco

Ole Anderson

The Ultimate Warrior

Jerry Lynn

TAG TEAMS

Demolition - Ax & Smash

The Fabulous Freebirds - Michael P.S. Hayes, Terry "Bam Bam" Gordy & Buddy Jack Roberts

The Original Midnight Express - Dennis Condrey & Randy Rose (w/Johnny V)

The Islanders - King Tonga & Tonga Kid

The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers - Jacques & Raymond Rougeau

MANAGERS & VALETS

Miss Elizabeth

Bobby Heenan

Gary Hart

Precious

Johnny V

Missy Hyatt

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "wwf wrestling challenge logo"

February 27th, 1988

Hosted by: Vince McMahon & Jesse "The Body" Ventura

Match #1

Randy "Macho Man" Savage beat Mike Kelly with the Flying Elbow Drop

And now, for an update in the WWF Control Center with Mean Gene Okerlund:

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "wwf control center"

Mean Gene Okerlund: Alright, everyone, this is Mean Gene Okerlund in the Control Center at Titan Sports headquarters and it has been a very tumultuous couple of weeks here in the World Wrestling Federation, starting with the controversy surrounding the WWF Championship Match a couple of weeks ago on the Main Event in which Andre the Giant defeated Hulk Hogan in controversial fashion to win the championship. And if it wasn't bad enough that referee Dave Hebner seemingly made a major mistake in his officiating, it now looks like Andre the Giant had the intention of selling the WWF championship to somebody else. However, we couldn't find out who it was until we went off the air on the Main Event. We have now this exclusive footage to show you moments after the conclusion of the Main Event with Andre & Bobby Heenan celebrating in their locker room when the mystery was resolved:

(Cut to VTR footage of Andre & Bobby Heenan celebrating in the locker room as Lord Alfred Hayes is standing there, trying to get a word with Andre & Heenan)

Lord Alfred Hayes: After a shocking turn of events, I feel like it is my duty towards World Wrestling Federation fans to get to the bottom of that controversy we've just witnessed. I will try to get a word with Bobby Heenan and clear everything up....Excuse me, Mr. Heenan?

Bobby Heenan (ecstatic): WOOOOO! ALFRED, CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? WE FINALLY DID IT! WE KILLED HULKAMANIA! HAHAHAHAHA!

Lord Alfred Hayes: Well, that is your interpretation of the situation but it is fairly obvious that there are still some things that need to be explained here and the big question is if Andre was serious in his claims of selling the WWF Championship to somebody else?

Bobby Heenan: Now, hold on, just a minute, Alfred. You might've had a bit too much of that tea and crumpets because I never heard Andre say that he would "sell" the WWF championship to somebody else. Andre, you didn't say you would sell the title, did you?

Andre the Giant: No.

Bobby Heenan: See, you completely misheard. Or misinterpreted. What Andre meant was that he was looking to "pass on" the WWF Championship to somebody else. I mean...as imposing as Andre is, it is no secret that he's not the same Andre he used to be. The WWF Championship wasn't merely the point here. What mattered to Andre is to avenge that miscarriage of justice from Wrestlemania 3 and beat Hogan for the title. And that's what he did. So, after doing some consulting work, we figured out to whom Andre would pass on the WWF Championship.

Lord Alfred Hayes: You can't do that and you both know it!

Bobby Heenan: And who's gonna stop us, Alfred? You? Absolutely not! But let's not make you wait any further, shall we? You wanna meet the new WWF Champion, Alfred? Here he is:

(A man enters the camera shot and it's...it's....

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "nick bockwinkel"

(IT'S NICK BOCKWINKEL!!! The former AWA World Champion enters the Heenan Family locker room and gives a big hug to Bobby Heenan and shakes hands with Andre. Andre then takes the WWF Championship and puts it on the shoulder of Bockwinkel)

Lord Alfred Hayes: I am absolutely appalled here! Nick Bockwinkel, a man of your class and dignity! How could you stoop to such a degree of cowardice?

Nick Bockwinkel: Lord Alfred Hayes, what I did isn't being a coward; it's being an astute businessman. But I wouldn't expect you to understand this. Many years ago, Hulk Hogan was a thorn in Bobby and my side and he did everything he could to take away my World Championship from me. And he almost did...But he didn't. You know why? Because Hogan is as dumb as a brick. Bobby and I always were one step ahead of him. And when he realized that he couldn't beat me fair and square, Hogan took his ball and went home and he decided to show up right here. But Bobby and I, we didn't forget that. We remember every step of the way and we knew we would get our revenge on Hogan one way or another. So we bided our time and waited for the perfect opportunity. And that perfect opportunity was The Main Event.

Lord Alfred Hayes: Are you insinuating that you've paid off Dave Hebner to give Andre the title?

Nick Bockwinkel: We did no such thing, Alfred. It was just happenstance. Andre didn't need a crooked referee to win the WWF Championship. He would've done it anyway. But as Bobby so eloquently put it, while Andre wants to be a fighting champion, he realizes that his best days are behind him and he can't be the fighting champion that this company needs. And this is where I, Nick Bockwinkel, come in. I can make things happen, I can defend that championship with dignity and pride and I will represent the World Wrestling Federation to the bestest of my abilities. So Hogan, I have an idea. I could tell you that we could wrestle on Saturday Night Main Event in a few weeks or we could do things at Wrestlemania in Atlantic City but I know that you're probably impatient to get your hands on me so I'll make things easier. Next week, on Wrestling Challenge, I will make my WWF debut and I will team with Andre the Giant right there. All I need you to do is to find yourself a partner and we've got a deal. I will be waiting with bathed breath...

(The celebration continues while we go back to the Control Center with Mean Gene Okerlund)

Mean Gene Okerlund: As you could see, it was quite the surprise to see the legendary Nick Bockwinkel here in the World Wrestling Federation. However, WWF President Jack Tunney has made it abundantly clear that he will NOT recognize Nick Bockwinkel as the World Wrestling Federation Champion and as of right now, the title will be vacant. We understand that President Tunney will make an announcement about the championship the next time we'll be live on NBC on Saturday night March 12th, for Saturday Night's Main Event. In the meantime, we can now tell you that Hulk Hogan has accepted Bockwinkel's challenge as he and a partner of his choosing will take on Andre the Giant & Nick Bockwinkel next week on Wrestling Challenge. And before we go, let's take a closer look at somebody trying to follow in the footsteps of his illustrious father, the legendary Bruno Sammartino as David Sammartino is looking to make a name for himself in the WWF. This was Mean Gene Okerlund at Titan Towers for the WWF Control Center.

(Footage of David Sammartino along with his father Bruno is being played.)

Match #2

Michael P.S. Hayes beat Baron Von Raschke (w/Gary Hart)

Match #3

"Loverboy" Dennis Condrey beat "The Real Living Legend" Larry Zbyszko by DQ after hitting Condrey with the ring bell

Match #4

Ole Anderson beat Johnny V with an armbar

MAIN EVENT

Match #5

"Gorgeous" Jimmy Garvin (w/Precious) beat Super Samoan Sakalia

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "wwf superstars of wrestling logo"

February 28th, 1988

Hosted by Gorilla Monsoon & Jesse "The Body" Ventura

Match #1

WWF Intercontinental Champion The Honky Tonk Man (w/Johnny V) beat "Hollywood" John Tatum (w/Missy Hyatt) with the Shake, Rattle & Roll

And now, for an update in the WWF Control Center with Mean Gene Okerlund:

Mean Gene Okerlund: Alright, everyone, this is Mean Gene Okerlund in the Control Center at Titan Sports headquarters and it has been a very tumultuous couple of weeks here in the World Wrestling Federation, starting with the controversy surrounding the WWF Championship Match a couple of weeks ago on the Main Event in which Andre the Giant defeated Hulk Hogan in controversial fashion to win the championship. And if it wasn't bad enough that referee Dave Hebner seemingly made a major mistake in his officiating, it now looks like Andre the Giant had the intention of selling the WWF championship to somebody else. However, we couldn't find out who it was until we went off the air on the Main Event. We have now this exclusive footage to show you moments after the conclusion of the Main Event with Andre & Bobby Heenan celebrating in their locker room when the mystery was resolved:

(Cut to VTR footage of Andre & Bobby Heenan celebrating in the locker room as Lord Alfred Hayes is standing there, trying to get a word with Andre & Heenan)

Lord Alfred Hayes: After a shocking turn of events, I feel like it is my duty towards World Wrestling Federation fans to get to the bottom of that controversy we've just witnessed. I will try to get a word with Bobby Heenan and clear everything up....Excuse me, Mr. Heenan?

Bobby Heenan (ecstatic): WOOOOO! ALFRED, CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? WE FINALLY DID IT! WE KILLED HULKAMANIA! HAHAHAHAHA!

Lord Alfred Hayes: Well, that is your interpretation of the situation but it is fairly obvious that there are still some things that need to be explained here and the big question is if Andre was serious in his claims of selling the WWF Championship to somebody else?

Bobby Heenan: Now, hold on, just a minute, Alfred. You might've had a bit too much of that tea and crumpets because I never heard Andre say that he would "sell" the WWF championship to somebody else. Andre, you didn't say you would sell the title, did you?

Andre the Giant: No.

Bobby Heenan: See, you completely misheard. Or misinterpreted. What Andre meant was that he was looking to "pass on" the WWF Championship to somebody else. I mean...as imposing as Andre is, it is no secret that he's not the same Andre he used to be. The WWF Championship wasn't merely the point here. What mattered to Andre is to avenge that miscarriage of justice from Wrestlemania 3 and beat Hogan for the title. And that's what he did. So, after doing some consulting work, we figured out to whom Andre would pass on the WWF Championship.

Lord Alfred Hayes: You can't do that and you both know it!

Bobby Heenan: And who's gonna stop us, Alfred? You? Absolutely not! But let's not make you wait any further, shall we? You wanna meet the new WWF Champion, Alfred? Here he is:

(A man enters the camera shot and it's...it's....

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "nick bockwinkel"

(IT'S NICK BOCKWINKEL!!! The former AWA World Champion enters the Heenan Family locker room and gives a big hug to Bobby Heenan and shakes hands with Andre. Andre then takes the WWF Championship and puts it on the shoulder of Bockwinkel)

Lord Alfred Hayes: I am absolutely appalled here! Nick Bockwinkel, a man of your class and dignity! How could you stoop to such a degree of cowardice?

Nick Bockwinkel: Lord Alfred Hayes, what I did isn't being a coward; it's being an astute businessman. But I wouldn't expect you to understand this. Many years ago, Hulk Hogan was a thorn in Bobby and my side and he did everything he could to take away my World Championship from me. And he almost did...But he didn't. You know why? Because Hogan is as dumb as a brick. Bobby and I always were one step ahead of him. And when he realized that he couldn't beat me fair and square, Hogan took his ball and went home and he decided to show up right here. But Bobby and I, we didn't forget that. We remember every step of the way and we knew we would get our revenge on Hogan one way or another. So we bided our time and waited for the perfect opportunity. And that perfect opportunity was The Main Event.

Lord Alfred Hayes: Are you insinuating that you've paid off Dave Hebner to give Andre the title?

Nick Bockwinkel: We did no such thing, Alfred. It was just happenstance. Andre didn't need a crooked referee to win the WWF Championship. He would've done it anyway. But as Bobby so eloquently put it, while Andre wants to be a fighting champion, he realizes that his best days are behind him and he can't be the fighting champion that this company needs. And this is where I, Nick Bockwinkel, come in. I can make things happen, I can defend that championship with dignity and pride and I will represent the World Wrestling Federation to the bestest of my abilities. So Hogan, I have an idea. I could tell you that we could wrestle on Saturday Night Main Event in a few weeks or we could do things at Wrestlemania in Atlantic City but I know that you're probably impatient to get your hands on me so I'll make things easier. Next week, on Wrestling Challenge, I will make my WWF debut and I will team with Andre the Giant right there. All I need you to do is to find yourself a partner and we've got a deal. I will be waiting with bathed breath...

(The celebration continues while we go back to the Control Center with Mean Gene Okerlund)

Mean Gene Okerlund: As you could see, it was quite the surprise to see the legendary Nick Bockwinkel here in the World Wrestling Federation. However, WWF President Jack Tunney has made it abundantly clear that he will NOT recognize Nick Bockwinkel as the World Wrestling Federation Champion and as of right now, the title will be vacant. We understand that President Tunney will make an announcement about the championship the next time we'll be live on NBC on Saturday night March 12th, for Saturday Night's Main Event. In the meantime, we can now tell you that Hulk Hogan has accepted Bockwinkel's challenge as he and a partner of his choosing will take on Andre the Giant & Nick Bockwinkel next week on Wrestling Challenge. And before we go, let's take a closer look at somebody trying to follow in the footsteps of his illustrious father, the legendary Bruno Sammartino as David Sammartino is looking to make a name for himself in the WWF. This was Mean Gene Okerlund at Titan Towers for the WWF Control Center.

(Footage of David Sammartino along with his father Bruno is being played.)

Match #2

Terry "Bam Bam" Gordy beat WWF Tag Team Champion Ax after a miscue from Smash. After the match, somebody runs through the entrance way and throws powder in the face of Terry Gordy! The camera gets a better shot of the individual and it's...

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "gary hart wrestling"

GARY HART IS HERE IN THE WWF!!! That momentary lapse of distraction allows Demolition to double-team Terry Gordy and hit Total Decapitation on him! The 2 other Freebirds, Michael PS Hayes & Buddy Jack Roberts rush the ring to make the save but Demolition leaves the ring! What a coup for not only Demolition but for Gary Hart as well; making a huge power play in his debut on WWF TV!!!

Match #3

King Tonga beat Jerry Grey with a diving headbutt. Postmatch....

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "baron von raschke"Résultat de recherche d'images pour "nord the barbarian"

Baron Von Raschke & Nord the Barbarian rush the ring and attack King Tonga! Tonga Kid rushes in to make the save but is taken down by Nord the Barbarian. Baron Von Raschke applies the claw on King Tonga while Nord ties up Tonga Kid in the ropes and starts pummeling him with body shots. Not too far from the ring, somebody we saw minutes ago is taking a closer look:

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "gary hart wrestling"

Has Gary Hart also added Baron Von Raschke & Nord the Barbarian to his stable of mercenaries? Tune in next week!

This is really a great way to present your product. I know from experience at the WWF is hard to write for but you are doing your best to capture that moment especially with the mean gene segments. they're obviously some major changes from what was really going on in 1988 and presenting them in a really fun way and I'm looking forward to how some of these things will pay off down the line. Gary hart has established himself as a force in the WWF and you know that he will be looking at the very top to show his dominance.

March 5th, 1988

As the show starts on-air, Vince McMahon & Jesse Ventura barely have time to hype this week's show that we see chaos in the locker room area as Andre the Giant & Nick Bockwinkel are attacking both Hulk Hogan and who seemed to be his partner for the night, Paul Orndorff. A slew of road agents and referees are finally able to stop the carnage as Vince McMahon displays his inner outrage as the match between the Heenan Family and Hogan/Orndorff must happen right now!

Match #1

Hulk Hogan & Paul Orndorff beat Andre the Giant & Nick Bockwinkel (w/Bobby "the Brain" Heenan) when Hogan pinned Bockwinkel following the Leg Drop. Hulk Hogan actually started the match solo since Vince McMahon told the viewers that Orndorff was deemed unable to forego the match with Hogan; however, Orndorff showed up in the final moments of the match to neutralize Andre & Heenan at ringside.

Up next, we go to the podium for a very special segment...

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "brother love"

IIIIII LOOOOOOOOOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

(It is the unmistakable sound of the voice of Brother Love as we're getting set for an edition of The Brother Love Show)

Brother Love: YEESSSSSS, BROTHERS AND SISTERS, I LOOOOOOOOVE YOUUUUUUUU! And welcome to the Brother Love Show! A show where the only thing that matters, other than spreading looooooove to all of you, is to get to the bottom of things and let the truth become free! And today, there is somebody that I really would LOOOOOOVE to get to know more about. A man that is so intriguing but yet, seems to be full of con-trah-dic-shons. So, brothers and sisters, please welcome to the Brother Love Show.....Brother ULTIMATE WARRIOR!

(The Warrior's music hits and the crowd goes through a frenzy as Ultimate Warrior comes out sprinting and jumps on the Brother Love Show podium in a matter of seconds. Brother Love seems unimpressed by what he sees. But always the consumate professional, Brother Love goes forward with his interview)

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "ultimate warrior"

Brother Love: Brother Warrior.......I LOOOOOVE YOUUUUUUU!

(Warrior looks to Brother Love from the corner of the eye and doesn't seem impressed neither by Brother Love)

Brother Love: Brother Warrior.....I have heard a lot of things about you and while I usually am a buh-liever, allow me to be just a little bit skepti-cahl. All I've been hearing about you is that you are like no one that has ever been seen before in the World Wrestling Federation and that we will not see anything like youuuuu ever again. What I would like to know -- and what the entire arena here would like to know as well -- is what makes you so spe-shul?

Ultimate Warrior: ....I don't expect you to understand which I'm about to explain to you (Brother Love seems annoyed) but I know that these people right here will. (Crowd cheers) Because everyone has a Warrior within himself. Everyone can feel a power that not even they can explain; a power that they can only understand because they can feel it. Do you know what this power is called?

Brother Love: I ---

Ultimate Warrior: THIS IS THE POWER OF DESTRUCITY! THE MOST POWERFUL FORCE THERE IS! A FORCE THAT WILL DRIVE YOU TO THINGS YOU'VE NEVER THOUGHT POSSIBLE! A FORCE THAT WILL MAKE YOU ACHIEVE EVERYTHING THAT YOU EVER DREAMED OF! A FORCE THAT WILL MAKE YOU AN ULTIMATE.....WARRIOR!

Brother Love: WELL, PARDON ME TO INTERRUPT YOU BUT I REMAIN SKEPTI-CAHL. There is no such thing as the "power of Destrucity"! DESTRUCITY IS NOT EVEN A WOOORRRRRRRRD. YOU ARE TRYING TO SCAM THOSE BROTHERS AND SISTERS INTO MAKING THEM BELIEVE THAT THEY CAN BE SOMETHING THAT THEY CANNOT BE. DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TO PEOPLE LIKE YOUUUUUUUUUUU? THEY - AAAAAAAAAAARGH!

(Brother Love is interrupted by Ultimate Warrior, grabbing Brother Love by the tie, seemingly threatening him verbally since we can't hear exactly what he says when suddenly....WHAM!

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "the crusher wrestler"

The Crusher has attacked Ultimate Warrior from behind! Brother Love is seemingly relieved to see the arrival of the Crusher and the Midwest brawler continues to stomp on Warrior. The Crusher motions towards something hidden on the set of the Brother Love Show. Brother Love removes a sheet and we see a big wooden keg! The Crusher then grabs the keg...AND SLAMS IT ON THE WARRIOR'S BACK! Warrior goes down in a heap as the crowd boos what just happened Warrior tries to clinch Crusher's leg but the wiley veteran nonchalantly dismisses Warrior and lights up one of his trademark cigars before retreating, like nothing happened. While Jesse Ventura is thoroughly amused by what he sees, Vince McMahon once again displays his anger and outrage at the situation....

Match #2

Don "The Rock" Muraco beat Bunkhouse Buck (w/Gary Hart) by DQ after interference from Greg Valentine. Postmatch, Valentine locked Muraco in a figure four leglock and refused to let Muraco go until referees and road agents came out

A local Wrestlemania IV featuring Randy "Macho Man" Savage & Miss Elizabeth was shown

Match #3

Nord the Barbarian & Baron Von Raschke beat Morgan Abrahamson & Sylvan Pickering after Von Raschke made Abrahamson submit to the Claw

March 6th, 1988

Hosted by: Gorilla Monsoon & Jesse "The Body" Ventura

Match #1

The Ultimate Warrior beat The Crusher. Before the match, highlights from The Brother Love Show where The Crusher attacked Warrior were shown

Match #2

Terry "Bam Bam "Gordy beat Sika (w/Gary Hart by DQ) after interference from WWF Tag Team Champions Demolition. Postmatch, fellow Fabulous Freebirds Michael P.S. Hayes & Buddy Jack Roberts came out to make the save

Match #3

"Ravishing" Randy Rose (w/Johnny V) beat the debuting Raymond Rougeau (w/Jacques Rougeau) by reverse decision. During the match, while referee Danny Davis was distracted by Randy Rose, Johnny V slipped a chain in Raymond Rougeau's right boot. When Raymond Rougeau scored the win following a Savate Kick, Johnny V drew Danny Davis' attention and told him to check Ray's boot. Danny ordered Ray to unlace his boots and Ray retrieved the chain. While Ray rightfully claimed his innocence, Danny Davis immediately reversed his decision and awarded the match to Randy Rose instead! Johnny V & Randy Rose flee the scene, under a chorus of boos by the audience while Jacques tried to calm Raymond down.

Match #4

King Tonga beat Jerry Lynn with a Diving Headbutt

To close the show, we join Mean Gene Okerlund on the podium for a very special interview

Mean Gene Okerlund: Alright, ladies and gentlemen, please welcome my guest at this time, making his return to the World Wrestling Federation....SGT. SLAUGHTER!

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "sgt slaughter"

ATTEN-HUT! Sarge makes his way to the podium to a nice ovation as he joins Mean Gene Okerlund on the podium.

Mean Gene Okerlund: Alright, Sarge, the last time we saw you in the World Wrestling Federation, you weren't exactly the most popular individual around here. As a matter of fact, I would almost qualify as "undesirable", if I could use that term. And as I see you today, you seem a much different man so if I may ask this, Sgt. Slaughter, what prompted that attitude change?

Sgt. Slaughter: Mean Gene, any military man will tell you that as soldiers, we're constantly at war, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. And sometimes, we're at war with others and sometimes, we're at war with ourselves. I have always prided myself in representing the greatest country in the world, being a proud American, and while I've always vowed to defend it against the enemy, sometimes, you have to look at yourself in the mirror and realize that the enemy isn't the enemy you think you're facing. Sometimes, that enemy is invisible; and sometimes, that enemy is yourself. And there was a time in my life where I was my own worst enemy because I was looking to get at war with anybody for any rhyme or reason. But I took a long look at myself and I realized that who I thought were my enemies actually were my allies. And those are all the fine young men and women gathered here in this arena (crowd cheers)...So once again, I looked at myself in the mirror and I made myself the promise that I would never do that mistake again and I would fight the good fight. And I would fight to defend the honor of the World Wrestling Federation against anybody. Villains, miscreants and so-called kings.

Mean Gene Okerlund: Wait a minute....So-called kings, you say? Are you referring to one of our newest newcomers by the name of Jerry "The King" Lawler, by any chance?

Sgt. Slaughter: That's right, Mean Gene. That's exactly who I'm talking about. Because the United States of America doesn't take any orders from false prophets and so-called kings. The United States of America takes orders from one person only and that's our Commander-in-Chief! So if Jerry Lawler wants to come here and think that he can make a kingdom for himself in the World Wrestling Federation, he will realize that this isn't a war that he should be willing to start. Jerry Lawler, I'll be watching you. I'll be keeping an eye on you because I won't let a maggot destroy everything we've worked for for so long. Lawler, this will be your one and only warning! Don't try anything because you'll figure out quickly that Sgt. Slaughter won't back down from a fight!

(Sgt. Slaughter celebrates with the fans on the podium, as Mean Gene Okerlund helps Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura sign off this week's episode of Superstars of Wrestling.)

I really like the continued movement that you have here. I wasn't sure if I was going to like wrestling challenge and superstars as opposed to prime time and superstars but I think that you're putting an identity on each of them.

The biggest thing that I like about your shows at this point is the focus on the angles and storylines through mean gene and then brother love. It's something that I don't find myself doing enough in almost rather paraphrasing compared to putting detail in. it has been fun to see you capture these characters.

I'm really excited to see what happens at WrestleMania 4 and how things shake out over the next couple weeks. I hear that the WCW has a pretty stacked car to go up against it and it's on free TV!

To be fair, I'm lucky to have Mean Genes and Brother Loves to help further some angles. I'll admit that for you, with WCW, it's a bit of a challenge given how WCW is usually presented but I think that you could do something with Jim Ross and if you could get your hands on Paul E. Dangerously, that could only make things easier for you.

March 12th, 1988

Hosted by: Vince McMahon & Jesse "the Body" Ventura

Quick Results:

Match #1

Randy "Macho Man" Savage (w/Miss Elizabeth) beat David "Fit" Finlay with the top rope elbow.

Postmatch, Owen Hart made his way to the ring to check on Finlay to see if he was OK. But when he picked him back up. Owen pulled him by the hair and Finlay went down. Owen then hit 2 splashes on Finlay's leg! What's with this newcomer???

Match #2

Jerry "The King" Lawler beat WWF Tag Team Champion Smash from Demolition with the middle rope fist drop

Match #3

Miguelito Perez beat Jerry Grey

-In the back, Mean Gene Okerlund interviews Don "The Rock" Muraco about his upcoming encounter with Greg Valentine this week on Superstars. Muraco says that Valentine might now have Bobby "The Brain" Heenan as his manager but that doesn't make him immune from escaping a beating at his hands. Muraco didn't forget what Valentine did to him last week and he still has the bruises to make him remember. Muraco promises Valentine he'll have a few bruises of his own after their match on Superstars.

Match #4

Bad News Brown beat The Crusher with the Ghetto Blaster

March 13th, 1988

Hosted by: Gorilla Monsoon & Jesse "the Body" Ventura

This week's show started with an edition of The Brother Love Show, featuring his guest, newcomer "The Crippler" Rip Oliver. Nothing out of the ordinary happening in the segment other than Johnny V interrupting the segment to offer his services to Rip Oliver to be his adviser. Oliver doesn't give him an answer right away but says he'll think about it...

Match #1

WWF Tag Team Champion Ax beat Elliot Hayden with a middle rope elbow drop

Match #2

The Fabulous Freebirds (Terry Gordy & Michael Hayes, w/Buddy Jack Roberts) beat The Original Midnight Express (w/Johnny V) by DQ after interference from WWF Tag Team Champions Demolition. A huge brawl erupted between the Freebirds, Demolition and the Midnights!

A video recap of the recent events between the Ultimate Warrior and the Crusher from last week's shows is shown. Exclusive footage airs with The Crusher being approached by none other than Bobby "The Brain" Heenan. Heenan quickly whisks The Crusher away in a private locker room to avoid any indiscretions...What could this be about?

Match #3

Greg "The Hammer" Valentine (w/Bobby Heenan) beat Don "The Rock" Muraco by submission with the Figure Four Leglock after Valentine knocked Muraco out with a foreign object tossed by Heenan!

I like the abridged version of the WWF here and the point is clear. There is still a lot of movement forward with the recaps and Mean Gene. I think the showcase of main level matches also puts this on a different level. I recently went through 88-89 WWF and am currently doing it for the NWA/WCW and I must say that those main level matches really make the shows great when they are surrounded by the squashes.

Loved the debut of a young Owen Hart. Interested to see what happens for him moving forward.  Demolition are all over these 2 shows, although I was a little surprised that you had Smash lose to Jerry Lawler, although that result gives The King a massive win.  Interested to see where you are going with The Crusher.... is he just fodder for the Ultimate Warrior or is something else going on here???

Sean's Wrestling Reviews: WWE Saturday Night's Main Event, 2nd ...

March 12th, 1988

Municipal Auditorium, Nashville, TN

As Vince McMahon & Jesse Ventura runs tonight's card as well as hyping tonight's announcement from Jack Tunney, they are interrupted by an altercation in the back between "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff and Jerry "the King" Lawler. Officials are quick to stop the chaos and order is restored.

Match #1

"Hollywood" John Tatum (w/Missy Hyatt) beat David Sammartino

Match #2

"Ravishing" Randy Rose (w/Johnny V) beat Sika (w/Gary Hart) after a miscued chair shot by Baron Von Raschke on Sika. Sika was KOed and referee Jimmy Korderas called for the bell after seeing that Sika didn't respond as Rose put on a Boston Crab. After the match, The Original Midnight Express celebrated like they had just won the WWF Tag Team Championship...

We now go to Mean Gene Okerlund in the ring for the WWF Championship announcement.

"Alright, ladies and gentlemen, as you know, the last time we were here live on NBC, the most controversial match in World Wrestling Federation history took place and after Andre the Giant won the match in questionable fashion and sold the title to Nick Bockwinkel, WWF President Jack Tunney had decided to vacate the championship and promised us a major announcement right here tonight. And now, this is the time to know what he has in store. Without any further adieu, please welcome the President of the World Wrestling Federation, the esteemed Jack Tunney.

image.jpeg.3ec9644127b84d9fb74c1053d5e5e02a.jpeg

(To no surprise, Tunney comes out to a chorus of boos by the audience with the WWF Championship in hand. He shakes hands with Mean Gene as he enters the ring.)

Mean Gene: Alright, Mr. Tunney, the world is eager to know what have you decided to do to settle the situation surrounding the World Wrestling Federation Heavyweight Championship?

Jack Tunney: Thank you, Gene. It wasn't an easy decision as it was an unforeseen situation in the history of the World Wrestling Federation. And I felt it was important that we ensured that we wouldn't have to go through this ever again. The fans deserved to see a true champion and a true winner so it is my honor and privilege to announce to you that in 15 days, live from the Trump Plaza in Atlantic City, NJ at Wrestlemania IV, we will hold a one-night 16-men tournament to crown a new World Wrestling Federation Heavyweight Champion. In virtue of the controversial events of last month's Main Event, I have decided to include both Hulk Hogan and Nick Bockwinkel in the tournament. Also competing in the tournament will be:

-The Crusher

-Brutus Beefcake

-Paul Orndorff

-Jerry Lawler

-Jimmy Garvin

-Sgt. Slaughter

-Bad News Brown

-Greg Valentine

-Don Muraco

-The Ultimate Warrior

-Jerry Lynn

-Larry Zbyszko

-Baron Von Raschke

-Tito Santana

In case of injuries, there are already alternates that have been assigned and will enter the tournament, if needed. And I will promise that we absolutely will have a new WWF Champion at the end of Wrestlemania."

Mean Gene: Wow, what a blockbuster announcement by WWF President Jack Tunney! 16-men will vie for the right to become the new World Wrestling Federation Heavyweight Champion in 2 weeks at Wrestlemania! The question is: who will survive this grueling night and make it all the way to the end?

Match #3

The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers beat "Loverboy" Dennis Condrey & Johnny V with La Bombe Rougeau

The Brother Love Show closed  this Saturday Night Main Event with his guest, "Hangman" Bobby Jaggers. Similar to the previous edition with Rip Oliver where Jaggers was pretty much introduced to the WWF audience. Rip Oliver actually interrupted the show and offered to be Jaggers' tag team partner and chase the WWF Tag Team Championships together. Brother Love seemed particularly excited at the thought that he had something to do with Oliver & Jaggers joining forces together...What kind of trouble could Oliver & Jaggers cause together in the WWF?

Exclusive Coliseum Home Video matches:

Tito Santana beat David "Fit" Finlay with the Flying Forearm Smash

The Fabulous Freebirds (Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts) beat Nord the Barbarian & Bunkhouse Buck (w/Gary Hart)

The 16 Man Tourney is upon us...I see 18 total names with Hogan and Bock in there but no Andre which is surprising. I like the actual 16 rather than 14 with the double bye.  Other than that it looks like Jaggers and Oliver are looking to cause some trouble. Seems like the WWF has got some big things on the horizon and I am excited to see how the rest of the WrestleMania card plays out. 

March 19th, 1988

Hosted by Vince McMahon & Jesse "The Body" Ventura

Match #1

The Ultimate Warrior beat Miguelito Perez. After the match, The Crusher attacks Ultimate Warrior, lighting a cigar to burn Warrior on the forehead with it!!!

Match #2

Ole Anderson beat Randy Rose (w/Johnny V) by submission with an armbar

Mean Gene Okerlund interviews Gary Hart on the platform. Mean Gene acknowledges that Gary Hart has put together a dangerous stable of men, including Nord the Barbarian, Bunkhouse Buck and Baron Von Raschke. However, Gary Hart says while those men are dangerous, he still has an ace in his sleeves that he plans on revealing to the world soon enough. His focus right now is for Baron Von Raschke to win the tournament for the WWF Championship at Wrestlemania next Sunday. Gary Hart sends a message to Hulk Hogan that neither Nick Bockwinkel or Andre the Giant are the men that he should worry about but his "secret weapon" instead....

Match #3

WWF Intercontinental Championship

Michael P.S. Hayes beat WWF Intercontinental Champion Honky Tonk Man with a backslide after countering HTM's Shake, Rattle and Roll to capture the Intercontinental Championship!

Match #4

The Crusher (w/Bobby Heenan) beat Mo Ridley

Match #5

Greg Valentine (w/Bobby Heenan) beat Don "The Rock" Muraco after Heenan tripped Muraco and held his foot.

March 20th, 1996

Hosted by Gorilla Monsoon & Jesse "The Body" Ventura

Most of this week's matches came from various house shows around the country, except for one match taped specifically for this week's show

Superstars Exclusive Match of the week: "Hollywood" John Tatum & Bad News Brown defeated Johnny V & Curt Trengove

Multiple recaps as well, including Jack Tunney's announcement for the WWF Championship tournament at Wrestlemania and a couple of interviews as well

First, Gary Hart along with Bunkhouse Buck are interviewed by Lord Alfred Hayes in the back. Hart & Buck reiterate their objective of making sure the Baron makes it as far as he can in the WWF Championship tournament. It's also confirmed that at Wrestlemania, Buck & Nord the Barbarian will square off against the Fabulous Rougeau Brothers. Buck says that the only thing that'll be Fabulous about them will be the shiners he and Nord will give them during the match after beating them up.

Second, Randy Savage and Miss Elizabeth are interviewed by Mean Gene on the platform. Gene admits his surprise at Savage not being involved in the WWF Championship tournament and Savage says that one way or another, he'll make his presence felt at Wrestlemania because it's his destiny to be WWF's shiniest star. Savage doesn't know why Jack Tunney didn't insert hin in the tournament and he refuses to play second fiddle to anybody.

We finally see some exclusive footage of Michael Hayes celebrating his Intercontinental title victory with his fellow Freebirds but the celebrations are cut short by Honky Tonk Man and WWF Tag Team Champions Demolition attacking the Fabulous Freebirds in their locker room afterwards. Before the show ends, Gorilla Monsoon announces that the Honky Tonk Man has invoked his rematch clause and will take on Michael P.S. Hayes for the Intercontinental title at Wrestlemania while Demolition will be defending the WWF Tag Team Championship against Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts!

Updated Wrestlemania card

16-Men Tournament to crown a new WWF Champion!

Featuring Hulk Hogan, Nick Bockwinkel, Tito Santana, Paul Orndorff, Jerry Lawler and more!

WWF Intercontinental Championship Rematch

Michael P.S. Hayes (c) vs The Honky Tonk Man

WWF Tag Team Championship

Demolition (c) vs The Fabulous Freebirds (Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts)

The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers vs Bunkhoue Buck & Nord the Barbarian

I have a very strange appreciation for Michael Hayes as intercontinental champion around this time. I could see it really working well. my pick is that the free birds are going to walk out with all the gold at mania but I'm also looking forward to the WWF championship tournament and just who will survive. Obviously bockwinkle and Hogan are the favorites.

Very surprised to see a title change so close to WrestleMania.  Interested to see what type of reign Michael Hayes is in for, and what this means for the Freebirds as a unit.

I am also surprised that Savage won't be in the tournament.  Really interested to see what happens at Mania.

• 2 weeks later...

March 26th, 1988

Up first, an interview on the platform with Mean Gene Okerlund and the WWF Tag Team Champions, Demolition, as they're set to defend their titles against the Fabulous Freebirds at Wrestlemania this Sunday. Ax says that they don't care where the Freebirds come from because Badstreet, USA is nothing compared to where he and Smash grew up. At the end of the day, they're just gonna be two other guys that they're gonna chop down and eviscerate. Smash adds that once they're done with the Freebirds, they'll ship them right back to Badstreet and both of their mommas won't be able to recognize 'em!

Match #1

Randy "Macho Man" Savage beat Dayton Cullen with the Flying Elbow Drop

After the match, there seems to be a commotion backstage as Hulk Hogan is found laid out, unconscious in the parking lot. While EMTs and officials check on Hogan, Brutus Beefcake is seen in discussions with WWF President Jack Tunney, telling him exactly what happened. What does this mean for Wrestlemania???

Mean Gene is up next with the Wrestlemania Control Center and hopes to have an update on the condition of Hulk Hogan for Wrestlemania, this Sunday. Mean Gene recaps the card, including the tournament and announces that The Islanders vs Rip Oliver & Bobby Jaggers have been added to the Wrestlemania card this weekend

Match #2

Jerry Lynn beat Rip Oliver with a small package

Match #3

The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers beat The Executioners with La Bombe Rougeau

March 27th, 1988

Hosted by; Gorilla Monsoon & Lord Alfred Hayes

Match #1

The Honky Tonk Man & Larry Zbyszko (w/Johnny V) beat John Tatum & WWF Intercontinental Champion Michael Hayes by DQ after Hayes is caught with Honky Tonk Man's guitar and smashing it on the head of Zbyszko!

Match #2

Nick Bockwinkel (w/Bobby Heenan) beat Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake after Bobby Heenan held Beefcake's foot. After the match, Beefcake chased Heenan around but was ambushed by Bunkhouse Buck & Nord the Barbarian! As Bockwinkel, Buck and Nord are doing a number on Beefcake, Heenan is seen giving a lump of money to Gary Hart, saying "That's for taking care of Hogan"....It doesn't take long for Gorilla Monsoon & Lord Alfred to figure out that it was Bobby Heenan & Nick Bockwinkel who were behind the attack on Hogan on Wrestling Challenge yesterday!

In the back, Mean Gene Okerlund interviews Wahoo McDaniel, who is appalled by the tactics used by Bockwinkel & Heenan to get to their end. Wahoo says he doesn't know if both Hogan and Beefcake will be able to take part in the tournament at Wrestlemania but he's making it clear that he's willing to step in either of them's place if WWF President Jack Tunney allows him to be an alternate. Wahoo vows to get his hands on Heenan either way to avenge Hogan and Beefcake if he can!

Match #3

Greg Valentine (w/Bobby Heenan) beat Dennis Condrey with the Figure-Four Leglock

FINAL CARD FOR WRESTLEMANIA IV

16-MEN TOURNAMENT TO CROWN A NEW WWF CHAMPION

*The status of both Hulk Hogan and Brutus Beefcake for the tournament is yet to be known

WWF INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP

Michael P.S. Hayes (c) vs The Honky Tonk Man (w/Johnny V)

WWF TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

Demolition (c) vs The Fabulous Freebirds (Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts)

The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers vs Bunkhouse Buck & Nord the Barbarian (w/Gary Hart)

The Islanders vs Rip Oliver & Bobby Jaggers

Nice build up continues for WrestleMania.  I love Demolition's interview, and am personally hoping they do dispatch of the Freebirds.  I love the payoff from Bobby and Bockwinkle to take Hogan out of the tournament.  Of course, we all know that he will be there, although I wouldn't be surprised if the Barber has to forfeit his match.  Really enjoying this.

• 4 weeks later...

April 2nd, 1988

Lots of hype surrounding the fallout of Wrestlemania, including Randy Savage winning the vacant WWF Championship in the 16-men tournament as well as The Fabulous Freebirds capturing the WWF Tag Team Championship from Demolition. Jesse Ventura rants about the miscarriage of justice that Nick Bockwinkel was a victim of, claiming that Hogan chickened out of the tournament because he was scared to lose to Bockwinkel. We see a vignette with Missy Hyatt welcoming the viewers into her Manor, where every week, she'll try to get the most intimate inner thoughts of WWF superstars. Her first guest next week is Ole Anderson and she can't wait to hear what he has to share with the viewers at home...but mostly to her.

We then go to the podium with Gary Hart joining Mean Gene Okerlund. Gary Hart briefly mentions what went down with Randy Savage & Hulk Hogan conspiring to win the WWF Championship together and he promises to take care of Hogan himself once again ( "This time, Hogan will stay down for good.") But right now, he wants to address another thing and that's the tag team picture. Gary Hart said he watched the Fabulous Freebirds beat Demolition for the WWF Tag Team Championship at Wrestlemania and he truly believed that Demolition was a step off. He felt that the Demolition he knows would've destroyed Terry Gordy and Buddy Roberts in a heartbeat. Gary Hart says he knows the Freebirds better than anyone here in the World Wrestling Federation and this is why he has officially acquired the services of the now former champs Demolition! Ax and Smash join Gary Hart on the podium and Hart makes it his mission to rebuild Demolition as the most destructive force in the company.  Gary Hart announces that Demolition officially invoke their rematch clause for Saturday Night Main Event on 4 weeks in Washington, DC and that the Freebirds' reign will be very short.

Match #1

WWF Intercontinental Champion Michael Hayes & Hulk Hogan beat The Honky Tonk Man & Nick Bockwinkel (w/Johnny V & Bobby Heenan) after Hogan pinned Honky Tonk Man with the Leg Drop

Match #2

"Hollywood" John Tatum (w/Missy Hyatt) beat Sammy Harding

Match #3

Larry Zbyszko & Sika (w/Gary Hart) fight The Islanders to a 10-minute time limit draw

This week's episode of Challenge concludes with the Brother Love Show featuring the new tag team of Rip Oliver and Bobby Jaggers, also known as Karma. Brother Love is thrilled with his guests as he commands them on their performance at Wrestlemania. RIp Oliver said that he and Bobby Jaggers everything bad that will happen to everyone in WWF that will cross them. He adds that karma is a powerful thing because this is what keeps a man in check. Bobby Jaggers adds that they'll be the constant reminder to the WWF locker room that there are lines that you don't wanna cross. Wahoo McDaniel interrupts the Brother Love Show and calls out Karma on their act, calling them hypocrites. Wahoo believes Oliver & Jaggers are only there to hurt people, not to keep them in check. Rip Oliver tells Wahoo to mind his own business and Wahoo calls them disrespectful. Bobby Jaggers says he'll show Wahoo disrespect and spits in his face! Wahoo and Jaggers get into a fight until Rip Oliver clocks Wahoo in the back with a piece of Brother Love's set. Jaggers then proceeds to tear off Wahoo's headdress, to a big chorus of boos from the crowd. Wrestling Challenge ends with Karma displaying Wahoo's headdress as a trophy while officials check on him.

April 3rd, 1988

Match #1

Wahoo McDaniel beat "Hangman" Bobby Jaggers

Match #2

Sam Houston beat The Crusher (w/Bobby Heenan)

Match #3

Bunkhouse Buck (w/Gary Hart) beat David "Fit" Finlay

Match #4

The Ultimate Warrior beat Jacques Rougeau after interference from Sgt. Slaughter. Warrior was definitely angry about it and let it know to the Sarge!

Match #5

WWF Champion Randy "Macho Man" Savage (w/Miss Elizabeth) beat Jerry Lynn with the Flying Elbow Drop

April 9th, 1988

The show starts with an interview on the podium with Bobby Heenan and Andre the Giant. The Brain is asked about what went down at Wrestlemania and Heenan does a lot of venting. Bobby Heenan says that normally, he would've given Randy Savage some credit for doing what he accomplished at Wrestlemania but that was all wiped away when Hulk Hogan showed up and handed him the WWF Championship on a silver platter. Heenan says that he and Bockwinkel are working around the clock to find a way to get their hands on Hogan at the opportune time but they want to address Savage. Heenan heard that Savage had an open contract for Saturday Night Main Event in 3 weeks and he figured that there wouldn't be a bigger test for Savage than facing Andre the Giant for the WWF Championship. So, Andre signed on the dotted line and it is now official. Heenan says that Savage's Cinderalla Story will end as quickly as it started and his carriage won't have the chance to turn back into a pumpkin as the clock will strike midnight because Andre will destroy it with his bare hands! But in just a few moments, Andre will have a bit of a tune-up match!

We then see a vignette of Gary Hart doing a pep talk to Demolition. Gary says he doesn't need to show them what went wrong at Wrestlemania because they already know what did. Now, his job is to tweak and rebuild the vicious machine that Ax & Smash are so they can take the titles back from the Fabulous Freebirds. In order to do so, they must destroy every team on their paths; from the Islanders to the Rougeaus and everyone in between. Gary Hart says that Phase 1 is about to start....

Match #1

Andre the Giant (w/Bobby Heenan) beat Randy Rose (w/Johnny V) by countout after Andre squashed Randy on the ringpost, with Rose being unable to beat the referee's 10-count.

Match #2

Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake beat Bunkhouse Buck (w/Gary Hart)

Up next, it's The Brother Love Show with his guest Johnny V,  manager of the now former Intercontinental Champion Honky Tonk Man. Johnny V says that Michael Hayes got lucky, plain and simple. Honky Tonk Man has always been a greater champion than Michael Hayes will ever be and time will prove it. Michael P.S. Hayes crashes the Brother Love Show and dares Johnny V to tell that to his face. Johnny V says Hayes is nothing without his Fabulous Freebirds brothers and he can't cut it. Hayes answers that he can beat anybody with any partners at any time of the week. Michael Hayes finds it convenient that Johnny V throws that around, knowing that Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts are contractually obligated to give Demolition their rematch at Saturday Night's Main Event. However, Hayes wants to spin things a bit and wonders if Honky Tonk Man can cut it without Johnny V because everyone knows that Johnny V saved Honky's rear-end more times than he could count during his title reign. Hayes makes a proposition to Johnny V; he'll find 2 partners and Honky Tonk Man will find 2 partners of his own. If Honky's team wins, then Hayes will grant Honky Tonk Man an Intercontinental Championship rematch. However, if Michael Hayes' team wins, Johnny V must split from Honky Tonk Man! Johnny V seems uncomfortable  but after much pep talk from Brother Love and in an act of bravado, he decides to accept Hayes' offer! Hayes leaves, smiling, realizing that he probably cornered the Luscious One for good!

Match #3

Miguelito Perez beat Jerry Lynn

April 10th, 1988

Match #1

Karma fight The Islanders to a no-contest after an irate Wahoo McDaniel rushed the ring to attack Rip Oliver & Bobby Jaggers after what went down last week!

A vignette featuring Larry Zbyszko is shown where he speaks about the hardship that is being a "Living Legend". He also doesn't spare David Sammartino, saying he's an embarrassment to the Sammartino name and that he would be a better son to his dad Bruno than David actually is. Zbyszko says he'll redefine the notion of Living Legend in the World Wrestling Federation.

Mean Gene Okerlund interviews The Islanders and Wahoo McDaniel in the back. Wahoo apologizes to the Islanders for getting involved in their match but this war he's waging against Karma needs to end as quickly as it started. Wahoo says he wants to get his hands on Karma as early as possible but in the meantime, he's willing to help the Islanders reach the next level and make them credible threats to the Fabulous Freebirds' tag team championships. Haku & Tonga Kid seem to be on-board with the idea, which should make for an interesting alliance!

Match #2

Falls Count Anywhere

Jacques Rougeau beat Sgt. Slaughter

To conclude this week's Superstars, the anticipated premiere of Missy's Manor is here and her guest Ole Anderson has joined her on her set. Missy reminds the viewers at home and in the arena that she's here to get the scoops and most intimate secrets of her guests and cannot wait for what Ole has to say. Ole starts by saying that it's no secret that he used to be one of the most feared men in the business because he used to run a territory roughshod with a certain band of brothers. Eventually, that mentality caught up to it and he fell victim to it. He had alienated so many people that at the end of the day, he didn't have many allies to help him fight them. Ole says that time is passing by and he knows that his time is about up in this sport and he wants to leave on a higher note than he broke in. Ole says he's been looking at somebody to mentor and make a great wrestler in the same mold than Minnesota's finest. Because he wants his legacy to be a good one and remind the fans what the Anderson name is all about. Ole says he's not looking for a long-lost son or relative or anything but somebody that can carry everything the Andersons have done in the past. Ole promises he'll do that in the upcoming weeks....Who will be Ole's protégé?

• 2 weeks later...

Quick hits for the WWF are always a good thing. Hogan and Hayes... as a tag team... I'd pay to see that! I always thought Gary Hart would be a fun guy to go against Hogan... he has a sense of seriousness that Hogan couldn't really have with Hart and Heenan. Six-man tag coming up with Honky and the Birds and if Honky wins he gets the title rematch... love this feud. I like your use of Jacques here he could be a big name and you've got s soft spot for him. Then you finish things off with Ole and his protege? Who could that be. Keep doing work buddy!

April 16th, 1988

We first see a vignette with Larry Zbyszko and Bad News Brown. Zbyszko is trying to recruit Bad News for a tag match against the Rougeau Brothers for this weekend's Superstars of Wrestling. Bad News doesn't seem really interested but Larry says he can beat them up as much as he pleases. That seems to change Brown's mind but Bad News warns Zbyszko to stay out of his way.

Match #1

Randy Rose vs Honky Tonk Man ends in a no-contest. Both men managed by Johnny V, Honky Tonk Man wants Rose to lay down for him and clearly, this doesn't sit well with referee Joey Marella who refuse to have the match going. Honky responds by smashing a guitar on Joey Marella's head and walks off as paramedics check on Joey Marella!

Match #2

Bunkhouse Buck & Andre the Giant beat (w/Gary Hart & Bobby Heenan) beat Brantley Tyrrell & Brendon Atwood with Andre pinning Tyrrell with a Sitdown Splash

Match #3

The Fabulous Freebirds beat The Thunderbolts & Jonny Noel in a 6-Men Tag

Match #4

Special Referee: Ole Anderson

Sika vs Jerry Lynn ends in a no-contest after Ole delivers a high knee to Sika's neck! It seems like Jerry Lynn is the protégé that Ole Anderson was talking about on Missy's Manor last week!

This week's show ends with Mean Gene Okerlund interviewing The Fabulous Freebirds on the platform. Michael PS Hayes says that they had promised fans that they would walk out of Wrestlemania with all the gold and that's what they did. Hayes also says that what Honky Tonk Man did earlier in the show by smashing the guitar on referee Joey Marella's head didn't impress him. If Honky wants to be a tough guy, Hayes suggests to try doing that to his face and see who'll end up with a smashed guitar. Speaking of tough guys, Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts are welcoming Demolition's rematch because they're eagered to prove to them that with Gary Hart or not, they won't be able to get the job done. Gary Hart seems to forget that the Freebirds know him as well as he thinks he knows them and they'll be more than happy to demolish Demolition!

April 17th, 1988

Hosted by: Gorilla Monsoon & Lord Alfred Hayes

Match #1

The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers beat Larry Zbyszko & Bad News Brown when Bad News unshockingly walks out on his partner after Zbyszko accidentally punched him in the corner. Raymond pinned Zbyszko after La Bombe Rougeau.

Highlights of what happened yesterday on Wrestling Challenge with Honky Tonk Man smashing his guitar on the head of referee Joey Marella are shown. WWF President Jack Tunney announces that Honky is now suspended for 30 days for attacking Joey Marella. Furthermore, his return match with Michael Hayes for the Intercontinental title has been revoked and Honky Tonk Man will be placed on probation upon his return. Jack Tunney will announce in the next few weeks what will happen with the next contender to Michael Hayes.

Match #2

The Crusher (w/Bobby Heenan) beat Brutus Beefcake

We then see a vignette with Gary Hart and Demolition, with the Southern flag replica featuring the Freebirds in the backdrop. Gary Hart tells Demolition this is what they lost to at Wrestlemania. This flag represents what is currently tainting Demolition's legacy of destruction. Demolition was recognized as the most destructive tag team in the world and in one night, The Freebirds wiped all of it away.  Gary Hart wants Demolition to rebuild themselves back so they can be even more aggressive and destructive than ever before. And this starts with the annihilation of the Freebirds. Gary Hart reminds Demolition that he knows the Freebirds better than anyone in the World Wrestling Federation and he is their secret weapon to bring them back to the promised land. Now, it's time to light the fire to send that into motion. Gary Hart takes a lighter and sets the Freebirds flag ablaze as the trio walks off in the background with the Demolition theme rocking.

Match #3

Jerry "The King" Lawler beat Dennis Condrey (w/Johnny V) with the 2nd rope Fist Drop

WWF coming fast and heavy. We all know Bad News doesn't play well with others and the build up and then pay off proves that point. Larry Z is on his own! Honky with some chicanery... I like it. Freebirds and Demo will continue their feud. The thing I like about these shows is that they are low key but also push things forward. These shows are built to build the undercard and that's exactly what is going on. I like the movement forward to the next big event for the WWF.

Some interesting action in the WWF this week.  Honkey Tonk attacks a referee with his guitar, and earns a suspension.  I am interested in where this is going.  It was always going to end well for Zbyszko by trying to get Bad News to be his partner.  The real question is whether Larry will continue to take on the Rougeau's with other partners, or whether he is going to be mad at Bad News.  And it looks like Demolition are trying to get more motivation for a rematch with the Freebirds. Personally I hope Demolition regain their titles, but I am not keen on an alliance with Gary Hart......

So like I did with WCW and Australia, I am going to give you feedback on your last two shows while I work to get caught up!

I just noticed you post a Superstars and an All-Star all at once, so I guess I will comment on 4 shows lol.

Well, just based on the beginning, I am going to have to go back and check out Wrestlemania.  Andre/Savage/Hogan sounds like it was colossal!  Andre and Macho should be a great matchup.

Something about Michael Hayes and Honky Tonk Man being in a feud is music to my ears.  I've always felt Honky was an underrated heel character, getting a bad rap a little by being an Elvis impersonator and by his long IC title reign.

Jacques Rougeau took out Sgt. Slaughter in a falls count anywhere?  He had to have cheated!  I would love to see if this goes anywhere.  If not, the fans in attendance probably got their money's worth from that alone.

Ole Anderson making some not so veiled references to a certain faction in another company, I like it a lot, and I am really curious to see who his protege is.  My first thoughts since it's someone from Minnesota would be Hennig or Rude, but they are both in pretty intense feuds in WCW so it has to be someone else.  I'm also curious to see if he is really turning over a new leaf, or if he is pulling the wool over our eyes.

Also curious to see how you use Larry Zbysko.

Aaaaand I guess we get our answer.  I did not see it being Jerry Lynn!  But we'll see if Ole can take him places or if it falls flat.

I had a feeling Bad News Brown would not really be cooperative lol.

I loved the visual you created with the flag burning and the Demos theme song playing.  Badass.

Your shows are easy to read and I like your format of matches being secondary to pushing the storylines.  Great work!