Pro Wrestling Only

TNA Lockdown PPV

Coffey

The fact that both WCW and WWF had some sort of no blood policy at varying times had little to do with it, I'm sure....

Whether every cage match had blood in it or not, or even if only a few had blood in them, having so many in such a short period of time would have killed the specialness of the gimmick, regardless of how much blood was or was not involved.
I made the same point awhile back, while watching the Bloodbath dvd. NWA got to the point where every feud had a cage match, and sometimes multiple cage matches. Ronnie Garvin won the title from Ric Flair in a cage, and then Flair won it back in another cage. It was overkill.

It was also established that the Horsemen would run in to prevent Flair from losing the title, so there were cage matches to keep them out and make Flair rely on his own merits to win or lose.

Considering how the lazy booking in WWE now has run ins on every *show* let alone every feud, it would seem that the NWA was on to something.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Except that half the time the Horseman would get involved anyway. Luger won his first US Title from Nikita in a cage match thanks to help from JJ Dillon, and he lost it to Dusty in a cage thanks to interference that backfired.

Not only that, but a Cage was often added for no reason, and when it was, they rarely played off of it with some sort of spot that illustrated that nobody could get into the cage.

Alright, I just got done watching the match. It's from Turning Point, correct? I just want to make sure that I watched the correct match. It seems like the cage match that got a lot of praise in the past featured all three members of XXX.

I can't believe that Christopher Daniels got color so early. It's like, two minutes into the match and he's already juiced. I guess it was trying to get over the importance of the cage early.

I have to tell you, I think that the biggest knock that I have against this match is the damn camera work. From outside the cage, the fence gets in the way. From the aerial cam, the cameraman seems drunk.

It does have an old school feel to the match though. The way that XXX cheats is classic. Then again, having to make tags in a cage match seems a little odd. I like that the match actually has double team moves too. That's something that seems to be lost nowadays in WWE.

I think that I've grown immune to Don West now. I can completely ignore him at will. I guess that's a good thing, right?

I don't like how the key to the handcuffs and the handcuffs themselves played such a big role in the match. That's just speaking for the match itself. I'm sure that it makes more sense because of the build-up leading into the match. It just seems like being in the cage would be bad enough. I assume it was to show that XXX had numbers and then AMW finally got the momentum to swing in their favor for once. At least it played into the finish.

Outside of James Storm playing Ricky Morton while Chris Harris was handcuffed, there's really not a whole lot of selling. I mean, a guy will take a move and then a few moments later he'll be the one cleaning house. I guess it's because the match didn't have as much time as it should've, I don't know. It just seems like bodies should be laying around a lot more for some of the moves that were pulled off. The match definitely moved at a faster pace.

I've never been a big fan of wresters using their opponents finish. Especially when it leads to a kick-out. Of course, AMW eventually won with the Powerplex or whatever XXX call it. Still, if felt lackluster after seeing top-of-the-cage Hurricanrana's and shit.

I marked out for the top rope Powerbomb. I can't believe that Skipper kicked out of that. Angel's Wings also got a two count. I don't know if I've ever seen Daniels get a pinfall with that.

The spots from the top of the cage were pretty cool. I think the cage walk overshadowed Daniels' elbow however.

The "Tower of Doom" as Mike Tenay called it looked like an injury waiting to happen. I know I held my breath watching that.

All in all, it's a good little match. A decent spot fest. I don't think it's the best match that I've ever seen but it did all tie together well. XXX used the handcuffs early and their opponents finisher. It didn't work. AMW used the handcuffs late and their opponents finisher and it did work. It was also an excuse to send Daniels flying solo and I'm all for that.

Guest treble

I haven't seen the show since, but I remember thinking that the X title match that night (Petey Williams vs. Chris Sabin) was better than the cage match. Skipper's cagewalk thing was pretty cool and the last bit of it I remember as being really good, but I remember thinking that it started off slow. Maybe I'll borrow the tape sometime and watch them again.

I saw the show last night, too, but don't remember too much about it. I'm actually a little hard-pressed right now to remember most of the matches that were on it.