Pro Wrestling Only

[2020-02-16-WWE-NXT Takeover: Portland] Finn Balor vs Johnny Gargano

paul sosnowski

This was absolutely awful. Gargano is a complete nerd w/ how he emotes & acts throughout, and then you got Bálor, who is dull as shit w/ everything he does, a complete robot (with the exception of the finishing stretch, which was actually pretty neat) -- and OF COURSE they go almost 30 minutes. Of course. To go "full Cornette", I'd say that neither guy feels like a pro-wrestler as they have no in-ring presence or charisma -- or at least they showed none here. Easily & by far my least favorite match of the night. *1/4

• GSR changed the title to [2020-02-16-WWE-NXT Takeover: Portland] Finn Balor vs Johnny Gargano
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been down on Balor's heel run so far because it's been a bore and have been waiting for something that he can sink his teeth into and now he's found it in Gargano. This is the best Balor has looked in a good while and his opponent played a huge part in it with Johnny Takeover himself. Balor being aggressive and impactful with everything he did on Gargano made me feel that he finally found his groove in this heel role. Gargano was his brilliant self as usual giving a fast paced exciting performance. What also made me love this was him toning down the melodrama.