Pro Wrestling Only

[2012-02-19-SMASH-Smash 25] Dave Finlay vs Tajiri

Superstar Sleeze

Smash Champion Fit Finlay vs Tajiri - SMASH 2/19/12

SMASH was a short-lived promotion in the early 2010s run by Tajiri, I guess as a part of the fallout of HUSTLE closing. Finlay was fired from the WWE surrounding some sort of controversy around the National Anthem. It was one of those the heels crossed the line too far and Finlay was the producer of the segment. It was on a house show no less. It sounded to me at least like one of those things where everyone needed to loosen up and some people got worked into a shoot. The silver lining of course is that we got Finlay back out wrestling and got this gem of a match. 

Finlay is defending the Championship and the opening video package does a great job putting him over as a savage warrior. The Japanese wax philosophically about his historic toughness and viciousness then A-Train comes on with his wicked Boston accent and puts over Finlay in the most basic Bostonian way. It was very funny. This is a very much a veterans match. Larry Z would have loved the Human Game of Chess they are playing. Finlay is such a nasty bully they way he grinds his bones into his opponent's body. Tajiri acquits himself well on the mat as he was a student of BattlArts. His hold hold is this great toehold which is basically a short arm scissors but applied to the opponents leg with your hands. It looked awesome and then he applied a headscissors on top of that. Tajiri was working the Indian Deathlock a lot. On the third standup he looks to make in roads using the kicks to the leg  but Finlay catches him and drives him into down into a stepover toehold. Tajiri shoots back up with a kick to the jaw after a rope break. Finlay powders. They try the apron skirt catch, but they botch it. Finlay bullies him on the outside and then Celtic Cross inside for 2. I would be remiss not to add that Finlay is wearing Orange gear. Was he a Protestant, Unionist all along? He came out to God Save The Queen and the Northern Irish flag was shown. I knew he was from Belfast, but always figured he was a Catholic because he wore green and considered himself Irish. Tajiri is able to hit a round kick to the head to as a hope spot but that just makes Finlay mad. Finlay pounces and just bullies him with a tight facelock.   

Tajiri keeps his headhunting alive. I love when someone has found themselves in a deep hole and tries to dig their way out by going for the head. Sometimes, it makes Finlay angry and he chokes him after his bell his rung, but eventually he does make in roads. He gets his big nearfall off a head kick and gets a Crucifix pin because Finlay's leg and head are messed up. Tajiri is best at kicks. Tajiri gets one last kick to the head he wants to kick Finlay head clean off with a Buzzsaw Kick but Finlay catches and lays his Spine on the Pine. Shillelagh and a Tombstone does Tajiri in for Finlay to retain in what I believe was the last SMASH show ever so Finlay is a forever champion.

Such a great old school match. Since these two are old there was no rope running, no Irish Whips, just close quartered wrestling. It built organically and they still did their signature spots. It will change your world, but it reminds you of simpler times. ***3/4 

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [2012-02-19-SMASH-Smash 25] Dave Finlay vs Tajiri
  • 1 year later...

This is completely not what I expected from these two, in a good way. We get lots of nasty-looking throwback mat work, with the strikes I expected from both serving as accents and spice. 

There's plenty of stakes and history involved, adding to the appeal. Both guys wrestle with a sense of urgency, and you believe that they are trying to win the title at all costs and as quickly as possible, not just trying to have a “classic” or highly-rated match. It’s atypical in the body of work of two guys who spent the bulk of their careers thriving as midcarders, but they carry the big-match feel and made me wish there were more one-on-one matches between them. Definitely seek out this one.

Check out my full review of this match, my 50th installment in the 365 Wrestling project.