Pro Wrestling Only

[2014-07-20-Dragon Gate-Kobe Pro Wrestling Festival] SHINGO & Akira Towaza vs Eita & T-Hawk

Superstar Sleeze

Open The Twin Gate Champions SHINGO & Akira Towaza vs Eita & T-Hawk - Dragon Gate 7/20/14

I like exposing myself to as many styles of pro wrestling as possible. I did find some bright spots in Toryumon and Dragon Gate in 2000s. I think they had some fun characters and some awesome highspots. This match was lacking in both. I think one peculiar aspect of 21st century workrate is the emphasis on action above everything else even highspots. There really were not that many highspots in this match. I was really only slightly surprised once. I thought they were going to do a Doomsday Device, but instead one of the Millenials did a moonsault to the floor on Towaza. Other than that, nothing sticks out to me. There sure was a lot of running and movement. People were constantly doing stuff. I expected this match where there would be a ton of highspots but there really wasnt. There was just a lot of stuff. I will say about the stuff if they did crescendo it well. Everytime, I was like "Ok more kickout-move and Im done" they would use a partner breakup and switch combinations of the two wrestlers. They were not too many elaborate setup of moves. I can really only think of one so I appreciated that. It was kinda boring though. It was such a tornado of moves. That nothing stuck out or had consequence. I found my mind wandering a lot and telling myself this match is like 30 minutes long we are not re-watching it FOCUS! I will find myself doing this a lot at Indy shows during the workrate-heavy matches. What is the hook? What is the point? I think goes to my second complaint the lack of character. Dragon Gate used to have some real fun characters, but these arent it. Besides a heat segment on Towaza, the Millenials really didnt play heels. The Tombstone on SHINGO on the ramp was interesting. Take out the big man and work over the smaller Towaza but that led nowhere as SHINGO made his return and the match went on for 20 more minutes. Matches like this ultimately feel souless. They didnt fall into trappings of elaborate setups and they actually escalated well. It was a torrent of moves without soul that did nothing for me. I will watch a couple more Dragon Gate but the style still leaves me cold. *** 

• GSR changed the title to [2014-07-20-Dragon Gate-Kobe Pro Wrestling Festival] SHINGO & Akira Towaza vs Eita & T-Hawk

After Susumu Yokosuka and KAGETORA lost a tag title match in 2011 they were forced to change their names to Jimmy Susumu and Jimmy KAGETORA, and after their unit Junction 3 got disbanded, they started their own stable called Jimmyz along with Genki Horiguchi, Ryo Saito, and Kanda. That's about all I know. If you want ridiculous excess in the best and worst ways, check out their 5-on-5 match with Verserk in 2017 where the losing team gets disbanded.