Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-09-19-NJPW-G1 Climax 30] Minoru Suzuki vs Tomohiro Ishii

ShittyLittleBoots

This kinda goes exactly as one would expect, and I for that reason wasn't really looking forward to watching it, BUT as usual with going into Ishii matches in general, I have my doubts about my interest in them, but usually always by the end, I come away with something I really loved. Such was the case here. Him & Suzuki brought the violence big time, with it being most in display in that absolutely wonderful sequence where Suzuki destroyed Ishii with those deadly forearms -- those strikes looked & sounded awesomely brutal, and Ishii's epic selling complimented them peeeerfectly. All in all, I really loved this. Sure it felt a bit long, as in it could've used some trimming, but come on. That is to be expected. Comes with the territory. This ruled. ***3/4

With these two, you know what exact match you’re getting and this was definitely that but somehow a tad more vicious and violent this time around. There were a ton of forearm strikes and headbutt shots but I think the charm of the match was watching Suzuki clearly overtake Ishii in that regard and Ishii selling the results of that. I’m pretty sure Ishii was getting some serious swelling on his face thanks to Suzuki’s slaps. Ishii pulling out of the Air Raid was awesome as well. Very good G1 match. ***1/2

Minoru Suzuki vs Tomohiro Ishii ****1/4

Two mean old men beat the shit out of each other and it was fantastic. Suzuki as the evil sado-masochist and Ishii as the more-guts-than-brains pugilist is the perfect match-up. This had still strikes, incredible selling and wonderful facial expressions. A brisk 13 minutes.