Pro Wrestling Only

[2021-01-14-WWE-NXT UK] WALTER vs A-Kid

Tenese Sarwieh

With a WALTER match is simple, if you stick to the formula you’ll always knock it out of the park and this is another perfect example. A-Kid trying his damndest to avoid the heavy bombs from the monstrous ring general by going after his legs. Eventually WALTER gets his stuff in by mauling him with chops and other vicious strikes leading to the hope spots giving you the belief that A-Kid might actually win, but in the end it wasn’t enough. These two conveyed great urgency trying to put the other away and bonus points for keeping it short, it contributed to the realism immensely, damn good stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

There's a real lovely cat & mouse dynamic to start this off, and both parties play their roles wonderfully. A-Kid more than brings it throughout with his arsenal of chops & especially those kicks, and WALTER sells BIG time, to say the least. That knockdown as the result of those repeated leg kicks was a great moment. WALTER's big selling & A-Kid's excellent, almost perfectly executed gameplan of using his quickness & weakening the champ by going after his leg was such compelling stuff -- the way the whole match played out made each time WALTER got his hands on A-Kid feel so fulfilling, which is kind of weird to write out loud because he was & is the heel champ, but it felt like that. Watching him unleash his murderous onslaught was awesome. Extremely good shit, this match was. Almost felt like one of those big Wally vs. ZSJ bouts. ***3/4

• 3 months later...

Having loved WALTER's matches with Ciampa and Rampage Brown later on in the year, I decided to give this a rewatch and upon a rewatch, I enjoyed this more than the first time around. Dug how A-Kid was going after WALTER legs to try and chop him down. However, I feel WALTER gave him a bit too much offense which seems to be somewhat norm in a couple of WALTER matches where I feel he gives smaller and lesser ranked opponents more offense than he should and it feels like he overbumps for them at times. I would have preferred if they had finished this with the powerbomb pin and not continued, but that didn't drag this down that much though and I still ended up enjoying it.