Pro Wrestling Only

Stampede Wrestling (1981)

SirEdger

A SPECIAL LOOK AT STAMPEDE WRESTLING'S TOP PLAYERS

With an upcoming reboot of Stampede Wrestling in the next few days, it is certainly worth looking at who can feel worthy to vie for the top prizes in the territory as some familiar faces are ready to mesh with some new ones.

STAMPEDE NORTH AMERICAN HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP TITLE PICTURE

The top title in Stu Hart's territory is certainly looking to have several contenders around it when the time comes to crown a champion and no one can predict who it will be. But here are a few names to keep an eye on.

Bret Hart: Obviously, Stu's most gifted son and star of the territory, can absolutely not be overlooked. As he dominated the Mid-heavyweight division for several years before moving to the heavyweight division, Bret is looking to ensure that Stampede Wrestling has a North American champion they can be proud of. But he isn't the only one who is looking to make history in Stampede...

Bad News Allen: The very embodiement of a lone wolf, the former judo champion is probably Bret Hart's most formidable foe to date, with a mean streak that is unmatched. Rumor has it that JR Foley has been lobbying very hard to sign Allen in his stable of athletes, despite Allen's notorious reputation of not playing well with others. 

The Great Kabuki: When Percival Pringle III announced his arrival in the territory, he didn't waste any time making it known that he wants to be the manager of the top dog in Stampede Wrestling and he planned on making sure this was gonna happen. Enter The Great Kabuki, a mysterious man from the Orient who is definitely one to look for. Many insiders from around the world truly believe that Kabuki could very well be the next Stampede North American Champion.

Dynamite Kid: The very first British Commonwealth Mid-Heavyweight Champion is also Bret Hart's longest rival in Stampede Wrestling as these two exchange classics for the Mid-Heavyweight title before Bret moved to the heavyweight division. Dynamite Kid has also decided to move in the heavyweight division, only to give Bret a reminder that he might not be the favorite after all...

Others to keep an eye on: Jim Neidhart, Makhan Singh, The Crusher, Rip Morgan

BRITISH COMMONWEALTH MID-HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDERS

Bruce Hart being the current Mid-Heavyweight Champion, he has his work cut out for him as several possible contenders are looking to emerge from the field in Stampede Wrestling.

Davey Boy Smith: Another Britton who's looking to make an impact in Stampede Wrestling, just like Dynamite Kid did. Davey Boy Smith is probably the strongest competitor in the entire roster and despite being billed as a Mid-Heavyweight, Davey Boy could also tackle some of the top heavyweights in the division, including the top contenders for the North American championship.

Scott McGhee: The native from Bradford, West Yorkshire, England, is looking to make a name for himself and challenge Davey Boy Smith as to whom can dethrone Bruce Hart as the Mid-Heavyweight Champion. McGhee is slightly taller than Davey Boy but still could give him a run for his money too. 

Dos Caras: The Mexican masked luchador is looking to bring a different and more fast-paced style, compared to his British counterpart and he could be Bruce Hart's most challenging task ahead. However, with Stu's intentions of mixing up the heavyweights and mid-heavyweights every once in a while, Bruce could have a pretty good idea of what to expect since one of the first matches to have been signed for the return of Stampede Wrestling is Dos Caras vs Bret Hart on the February 27th episode of Stampede Wrestling TV!

El Monarca: Another masked luchador who should be vying for the Mid-Heavyweight title more times than one. While he's only in his 2nd year as a pro, he has already demonstrated a serious potential.

Others to keep an eye on: Sid Cooper, Bobby Fulton, Terry Taylor

STAMPEDE INTERNATIONAL TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP TITLE PICTURE

Which teams could potentially dream of being champions and reign supreme in the territory? A couple of names come to mind and while some have multiple aspirations, the tag team division could very well be the most competitive there has ever been here.

The Kansas Jayhawks ("Dirty" Dutch Mantell & "Hangman" Bobby Jaggers): Probably the nastiest team you'll find in Stampede Wrestling, Mantell & Jaggers are looking to scare the sheriff in town that is Stu Hart in hopes to give them the spot they want as International Tag Team Champions but the reality is that it's easier said than done. Stu isn't easily impressed and he plans on giving them suitable competition.

The Fantastic Ones (Bobby Fulton & Terry Taylor): There is a lot of buzz surrounding this good looking duo and Stu Hart himself is hopeful that those two could make their way to the International Tag Team Championship. Bringing a fast-paced and high octane style like true Stampede fans always loved, Bobby Fulton & Terry Taylor could very well become the next darlings of this division.

The Memphis Express ("Honky Tonk Man" Wayne Farris, Dream Machine & their muscle, "Plowboy" Frazier): Percival Pringle isn't only looking to bring gold to his stable with the North American Heavyweight division but also in the tag team division as he put together the duo of Wayne Farris and The Dream Machine to wrestle in the tag team division, but he also intends on making sure that the imposing Plowboy Frazier gets a few licks in as well. The Memphis Express could really count on strength-in-numbers, something that the other teams in the division don't have.

The Strongbows (Chief Jay & Chief Jules): The Native American duo could really well be the darkhorse duo of the division as they can match the dirty tactics of the Kansas Jayhawks or the Memphis Express with a load of experience. It could potentially pay off if a tag team like The Fantastic Ones is derailed by their aspirations in the Mid-Heavyweight division.

Others to keep an eye on: Shogun (Prof. Toru Tanaka & Samson Fuyuki), Jim Wilson & Dean Ho

Who will rise to the occasion? All bets are off!

I'm going to go with the following:

STAMPEDE NORTH AMERICAN HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP TITLE PICTURE
Bad News Brown

BRITISH COMMONWEALTH MID-HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDERS
Dos Caras or Bulldog and turn him heel.

STAMPEDE INTERNATIONAL TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP TITLE PICTURE
The obvious is the Jayhawks, so I'll go with the Fantastic Ones

you know I always like your work, and I think this is going to be more the same. I need to refresh my memory on some of these guys but I think you've got a solid foundation of what stampede was about and then added in some extra color and flavor to make things more interesting. I look for bad News to be the top dog here and really make a name for himself.

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "stampede wrestling logo"

TV TAPING #1

Calgary, AB

Airing February 20th, 1981

Ed Whalen welcomes the viewers to this edition of Stampede Wrestling  and Stu Hart is standing next to Whalen with the North American Heavyweight & International Tag Team Championship. Stu Hart says he's very much looking forward to crown new champions very soon as he hopes his son Bret can win the North American title but he's also hopeful to crown tag team champions that fans can be proud of. Stu is immediately interrupted by Percival Pringle III along with the Memphis Express, all 3 members of them.  Pringle tells Stu that if he thinks Bret is winning the North American title, he's dreaming because that title belongs to his assassin, The Great Kabuki. But he wants the same thing for the International Tag Team Championship and it doesn't matter who Stu wants as the champs because that title belongs to them. As a matter of fact, Pringle demands for Wayne Farris & Dream Machine to be awarded the championship immediately, which Stu refuses to do. In that case, Percival Pringle says he must use the brute force available to him. Pringle sends Plowboy after Stu but Stu clocks Plowboy with a right hand, which surprises the Memphis Express' muscle. Stu says he's not gonna let anyone force his hand. He'll make sure to punish Percival & Plowboy next week

Match #1

El Monarca beat "Hangman" Bobby Jaggers (w/Dutch Mantell) at the 24-minute mark with a crucifix pin. After the match, the Kansas Jayhawks attack Monarca and Mantell grabs the timekeeper's table. They set up the table and ties Monarca on it with their rope. As Jaggers is about to jump from the middle rope on Monarca, Shogun (aka Prof Toru Tanaka & Samson Fuyuki) make the save and chase off the Jayhawks.

Match #2

Dean Ho beat Bob Boyer in 17:11

As the show is about to go off the air, Stu Hart comes back to join Ed Whalen at the broadcast booth to announce that following the incident in the opening match, Stu has booked a match between "Hangman" Bobby Jaggers and Samson Fuyuki of Shogun and this will be contested under Falls Count Anywhere Rules! Ed Whalen also plugs next week's match between Bret Hart and Dos Caras as well as The Fantastic Ones in tag team action!

Airing February 27th, 1981

Just like the previous week, Ed Whalen opens the show with Stu Hart, although this time, they're discussing what happened last week when Percival Pringle III and the Memphis Express tried to bully Stu into awarding them the International Tag Team Championship right away. Stu said he'd be dealing with Percival Pringle and Plowboy and that's what he intends to do. Stu announces that there will be a tag team tournament in the month of March to crown the first International Tag Team Champions and he first had thought of straight up banning the Memphis Express from it. Stu doesn't even have time to finish his sentence that Pringle blows a gasket. Stu says he won't do it because Farris & Dream Machine didn't do anything last week; however, Pringle & Plowboy did. Therefore, Stu announces that Percival Pringle III will be banned from any match involving The Memphis Express and same goes to Plowboy Frazier too until further notice. If Pringle tries anything to go around that ruling, Stu will have Pringle's managerial license revoked in Canada! Pringle is now on his knees, begging for Stu to reconsider but Stu wants none of it! Plowboy finally picks up Pringle and they leave, Plowboy Frazier throwing daggers at Stu!

Match #1

Falls Count Anywhere

"Hangman" Bobby Jaggers beat Samson Fuyuki in 8:15 after interference from Dutch Mantell, choking out Fuyuki with his rope!

Match #2

The Fantastic Ones beat Jim Wilson & Dean Ho in 14:26 after a Superplex/Top Rope Splash combo by Taylor & Fulton on Wilson

Match #3

Rip Morgan beat Chief Jay Strongbow in 10:44

MAIN EVENT

Match #4

Bret Hart beat Dos Caras with a small package in 31:43. After the match, Bret was confronted by Percival Pringle and The Great Kabuki from the broadcast booth but Stu was quick enough to come out and ensure that Kabuki and Pringle didn't try anything dirty. Is this a prelude to a future North American Heavyweight Championship match???

I'm interested to see what Brett looks like in 1980. I can't say I've done a ton of research on him at that point maybe I'll have to go back and read his book and see how he was doing. He's obviously the true star of the future here but that's a good 5 years from his WWF era while he definitely had some big shine and stampede and hopefully you can find that magic with him.

I wish that you described your matches a bit more and to see Stu protect Bret is like Buddy Rogers beating up people almost half his age. Other then those 2 little things, I really like everything that you are doing. Interesting that you're not doing any tournament matches yet. Can't wait to see on how things turn out.

4 hours ago, LowBlowPodcast said:

I'm interested to see what Brett looks like in 1980. I can't say I've done a ton of research on him at that point maybe I'll have to go back and read his book and see how he was doing. He's obviously the true star of the future here but that's a good 5 years from his WWF era while he definitely had some big shine and stampede and hopefully you can find that magic with him.

Bret was already a firmly established star in Stampede by that point as he had debuted in 1976 and won his first title in 1978 as the British Commonwealth Mid-Heavyweight Champion (he even briefly held the tag titles in Puerto Rico with his brother Smith in 1978 too). Of course, as you said, it's not the Bret that we saw 5 years later in the WWF but he still was without a doubt the top babyface in the area.

I wish that you described your matches a bit more and to see Stu protect Bret is like Buddy Rogers beating up people almost half his age. Other then those 2 little things, I really like everything that you are doing. Interesting that you're not doing any tournament matches yet. Can't wait to see on how things turn out.

The "Stu protecting Bret" thing isn't really different from what Fritz did with his boys all the time in Dallas. I don't necessarily intend to have Stu wrestle in any way, shape or form but I just wanted to establish the notion that Stu is the sheriff running Stampede and he won't let Percival Pringle III try to run roughshod in the territory under his watch. As for the more detailed writeups,  it's something that I try to save for more special occasions like major supercards because as I always said, I've always thought that not one reader imagine the matches going the exact same way in their mind so just going for the results and finish allow them to picture them the way they want to. But that's a duly noted point that I'll try to adjust for the TVs going forward. Still working on tweaking the right format for my TVs but house shows will always be results and some highlights if there are specific angles happening there.

HOUSE SHOW RESULTS

February 20th, 1981

Calgary, AB

-The Great Kabuki (w/Percival Pringle III) beat Dean Ho in  13:31

-Prof Toru Tanaka beat Leo Seitz in 7:18

-Bobby Fulton beat Cheif Jay Strongbow in 9:01

-Scott McGhee & Terry Taylor beat TG Stone & Mr. X in 17:20

-"Honky Tonk" Wayne Farris (w/Percival Pringle III & Plowboy Frazier) beat Jim Wilson in 4:51

-El Monarca beat Gerald Finlay in 14:48

-Bret Hart & British Commonwealth Mid-Heavyweight Champion Bruce Hart beat Rip Morgan & Dynamite Kid in 32:23

February 21st, 1981

Edmonton, AB

Winner qualifies for the North American Heavyweight Championship tournament: Rip Morgan beat Dean Ho in 16:09

-Davey Boy Smith beat Chief Jay Strongbow in 7:09

2 out of 3 Falls: Shogun (Samson Fuyuki & Prof Toru Tanaka) beat Wilbur Snyder & Mr. X in 2 straight falls in 9:33

-Plowboy Frazier (w/Percival Pringle III) beat "No Class" Bobby Bass in 10:13

-Bret Hart & British Commonwealth Mid-Heavyweight Champion Bruce Hart beat The Fantastic Ones in 33:34

House Show

February 24th, 1981

Exhibition Auditorium, Regina, SK

-"Dirty" Dutch Mantell beat Bob Boyer in 11:08

-The Dream Machine (w/Percival Pringle III & Plowboy Frazier) beat Dean Ho in 7:16

-Sid Cooper & Herodes beat Gerald Finley & Mr. X in 17:25

-Shogun beat "Psycho" Perry Reid & The Crusher in 19:32

- "Honky Tonk" Wayne Farris (w/Percival Pringle III & Plowboy Frazier) beat Dos Caras in 8:40 with a handful of tights

-Bret Hart & British Commonwealth Mid-Heavyweight Champion Bruce Hart beat TG Stone (subbing for Chief Jay Strongbow) & Chief Jules Strongbow in 13:42

-Dynamite Kid beat Rip Morgan in 8:32 with a diving headbutt

HOUSE SHOW

February 27th, 1981

Calgary, AB

-The Dream Machine (w/Percival Pringle III & Plowboy Frazier) beat Jim Wilson in 5:49

-Chief Jay Strongbow (w/Chief Jules Strongbow) beat "Hangman" Bobby Jaggers (w/"Dirty" Dutch Mantel) in 14:35. After the match, both teams start to brawl until The Great Hussein Arab & Mr. Fuji, along with their manager Abdullah Farouk charge the ring to attack both the Kansas Jayhawks and the Strongbows! Abdullah Farouk grab the house mic and mocks the quality of tag teams in Stampede Wrestling and how they would easily become the International Tag Team Champions. Stu Hart comes out from the back and tells Farouk he doesn't know how he, Arab & Fuji got here but since they're in Calgary, he's gonna make it worth their while; Stu books for later tonight The Great Hussein Arab & Mr. Fuji against.....Dutch Mantell & Chief Jules Strongbow! Both the Jayhawks & the Strongbows are not pleased with this but Stu's word is the law in Calgary! Can they co-exist later tonight?

-The Fantastic Ones beat Dos Caras & El Bracero in 12:52 after Bobby Fulton pins Bracero following a Rocket Launcher

-Plowboy Frazier (w/Percival Pringle III) beat Willem Ruska in 13:02

Special Attraction: The Great Hussein Arab & Mr. Fuji (from Maple Leaf Wrestling) beat "Dirty" Dutch Mantell & Chief Jules Strongbow (w/Bobby Jaggers & Chief Jay Strongbow) in 16:48 after Mantell accidentally hits Jules Strongbow with Bobby Jaggers' bullrope, while he was aiming for Arab. After the match, Chief Jay Strongbow attacks Dutch Mantell and once again, all hell breaks loose between the Jayhawks and the Strongbows!

-In the main event, "Honky Tonk Man" Wayne Farris (w/Percival Pringle III, The Dream Machine & Plowboy Frazier) fight Davey Boy Smith to a 30-minute time limit draw. The match saw Dream Machine being thrown out from ringside after he dropped Davey Boy throat first on the guardrail!

I agree with Dunk, that tag team angle and mix-match was fun to read. There's a lot going on and this seems like a promotion who can get away with some of these ideas and captivate the ideas of the fans. It was funny, I was thinking of a super gimmicky match last night but then stopped myself because I didn't think Watts would do it lol. Maybe with Dusty there he could get away with it.

Am I right in thinking that the first ladder match was up in Stampede? This is an innovative promotion that is on the threshold of future styles. I love it.

2 hours ago, LowBlowPodcast said:

I agree with Dunk, that tag team angle and mix-match was fun to read. There's a lot going on and this seems like a promotion who can get away with some of these ideas and captivate the ideas of the fans. It was funny, I was thinking of a super gimmicky match last night but then stopped myself because I didn't think Watts would do it lol. Maybe with Dusty there he could get away with it.

Am I right in thinking that the first ladder match was up in Stampede? This is an innovative promotion that is on the threshold of future styles. I love it.

That would be correct. The first Ladder Match happened in Stampede. I want to say that it was between Big Daddy Ritter and Bad News Allen but I'm not 100% sure. It's on the Ladder Match DVD that WWE released a few years back so I'd have to rewatch it.

BREAKING NEWS

NORTH AMERICAN HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT TO TAKE PLACE  ON FEBRUARY 28TH!

In an unexpected turn of events, Stampede promoter Stu Hart has decided to move forward with the tournament to crown the North American Heavyweight Champion from the end of March to February 28th as 16 men will vie for the vacant title in a one-night tournament. Stu Hart has released the first round brackets and they go as such:

TG Stone vs The Great Kabuki

The Crusher vs Herodes

Rip Morgan vs Dynamite Kid

British Commonwealth Mid-Heavyweight Champion Bruce Hart vs Steve Strong

Jim Neidhart vs "Hangman" Bobby Jaggers

"Honky Tonk Man" Wayne Farris vs "Dirty" Dutch Mantell

Bret Hart vs "Psycho" Perry Reid

Makhan Singh vs Chief Jay Strongbow

The word going around is that Bad News Allen was absolutely irate to learn that he has been left out of the tournament and made his intention clear that Stu Hart will regret leaving him out of this tournament. Stu Hart has also made effective the rule that all members of The Memphis Express not involved in the North American Heavyweight tournament are banned from ringside. It's in this optic that The Dream Machine & Plowboy Frazier will be competing in non-tournament action (see non-tournament matches below). In the meantime, Stu Hart also announced the following non-tournament matches to take place:

-Jose Martinez vs Sid Cooper

-Davey Boy Smith vs Dean Ho

-The Fantastic Ones vs The Dream Machine & Plowboy Frazier of the Memphis Express

Who will be crowned North American Heavyweight Champion? Join us on February 28th to find out!