Pro Wrestling Only

[2021-04-07-WWE-NXT TakeOver: Stand and Deliver] WALTER vs Tommaso Ciampa

Edwin

I'm a big fan of WALTER but I feel he works way to evenly with much smaller opponents at times (such as the A-Kid match from NXT UK earlier this year) but that didn't feel as the case here as Ciampa is pretty jacked and almost as tall as him. WALTER chopping the table and tearing it in half was perfectly executed, as was WALTER's selling of his injured hand moving as he added the little touches (such as not being able to put on an STF, not being able to hold onto the bridge, having to use his other hand and clutching his own head to keep on a rear naked choke, etc). Ciampa using endless lariats to chop down WALTER (who had to rely on the ropes to stay up) was great. I get why some folks may have been bugged by Ciampa kicking out of the two powerbombs but WALTER using a chop to win puts over the brutality of them even more. Great match.

Yeah, I loved this. Thought it was the one truly great match out of two nights worth of really enjoyable modern wrestling. Plenty of memorable spots like the chop that broke the table and Ciampa's never ending lariats. It's been mentioned a few times but I love the way WALTER doesn't react all shocked at failed pinfall attempts but just goes straight on to his next move. I like the way he leans into the pinfall attempt on the powerbomb a la Toshiaki Kawada as well. The finish was just a complete delight - after selling his preferred right hand throughout and using his left instead, he goes back to what he knows and is able to muster enough strength for one giant chop to finally put Ciampa away. Absolute war, I really liked the post-match Imperium coming out on the ramp as the bruised WALTER took his place in the line up for their signature pose.