Pro Wrestling Only

CMLL ends its partnership with ROH

sek69

This was always a curious partnership to me. Outside of Texas, the CMLL partnership really didn't do much for either company. Sure the matches were fun to watch live, but I don't know anyone who ever purchased a ticket to ROH specifically to see CMLL guys. In Mexico, does ROH even mean anything? I don't expect ROH to be bigger than CMLL, AAA, or WWE, but where does ROH rank amongst Riot, IWRG, The Crash, and others as far as reach, influence, relevancy, etc. There is no way ROH is getting more eyeballs than Zona 23. If CMLL or ROH didn't really see a boost in business with The Elite exposure, it's probably best CMLL pulled out. I am not up on the politics of everything, but according to Rob Viper (@RobViper on Twitter), Mexican wrestling politics, especially those in CMLL, are beyond frustrating, irritating, and down right confusing. These are not Rob's exact words, however, what I wrote captures the spirit of one of most recent Tweets regarding the situation.

The end of this relationship will impact ROH's bottom line. CMLL ending the working relationship will hurt CMLL more than ROH in terms of North America exposure. I am sure the information that  will come out in the coming days will be very level headed and not make the CMLL head office seem completely crazy and out of touch.*

* I am being sarcastic. This will be a shit show.

Not really. The buzz on social media is head-to-head with Impact's at times, but take that for what it's worth. Recently, Joe Koff said that ROH does between 500-600K views for ROH's TV show. If that's the case then that means ROH is the 3rd most watched pro wrestling promotion in America. People still watch, but the product has mostly been lifeless post Elite. ROH tries its best, but much like Impact, I feel a lot of fans have given up on the ship turning around despite a few bright spots. At one point, pre pandemic, I believe MLW was out drawing both Impact and ROH on a consistent basis.

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting this to mention most of the top stars like Andrade and Rush's family is off the show now (they weren't selling tickets so they probably weren't getting the money they promised) and it's doubtful the show will even take place now.

So CMLL nuked their partnership with ROH over a show that is probably not going to happen, and if it does, it will go on with none of the people CMLL would have been pissed about. 

Well, now it's definitely not happening. Show got canned. Tickets are refundable but PPV seems to be "not our problem" deals and customers are being told to file a claim via Paypal.

Considering the forex discrepancy, where do the CMLL guys go now for a dollar payday? Are they able to work PWG et al? Here I was thinking Paco's death would mean the end of the idiocy but it seems it's all the same shit, just on different toilet paper.