Pro Wrestling Only

[Semi Off Topic] DVD Burning

Tim Cooke

For anyone with DVD burners, do the current models allow for the ability to copy one match from a DVD on to a burned DVD and then put another match from another DVD on to the same burned "compilation" DVD? Do you need to have a massive hardrive or can you put those together like you would in a VCR to VCR transfer?

Thanks,

Tim

In order to copy individual matches, you'd need to convert the DVD to an mpeg format then use a video editor to cut the parts you want. It's really a pain in the ass process.

You need lots of hard drive space for any sort of DVD copying, at least 4 to 8 GB free. Even more if you do what I do, copy the DVD to disc, compress it to fit on a DVD+R, then copy to a blank disc.

Tim this is the process I use...

First off, I have an 80g hard drive, so I have plenty of space to mess around with.

-I use a program called DVDshrink. After opening the disc, I am able to extract from point A to point B on any part of the disc. So, for example, I can take Destoyer vs. Mil Mascaras from All Japan Classics, put it on the hard drive. Then, I can take Joe vs. Punk III and put that on the hard drive. Then, I can take Eddy-JBL and put that on the hard drive. Look at the comps in Some Guy's "I Just Copped' post to get an idea.

Depending on the source, you may want to compress the VQ from 100% to be able to fit more wrestling on one disc. If you have a disc that has footage taped from TV, I don't recommend compressing it. For ROH and WWF, if you compress lower than 80%, you can tell as the VQ noticably declines. For movies, I have compressed as low as 68% with no noticable effects.

After you put the matches on the hard drive, I use Nero to compile my compilation. I upload the matches on to Nero. You can trim parts off (which there would be no need to if you had the right points at start and end in DVDshrink). You can add transitional effects, create menus and your own chapters.

Then you burn.

A bit of warning. The process can be tedious. In DVD shrink, each match you scan will take anywhere from 2-8 minutes depending on the size of the file. Then, on Nero, it takes another 3-10 minutes to upload it. After compiling the disc, it has to compile the new stream. After this happens, the burning starts which varies depending on the speed of your burner.

Guest Crucifixio Jones

There is also a program out there called Smart Ripper that enables you to rip specific chapters from a DVD rather than the whole thing.

There is also a program out there called Smart Ripper that enables you to rip specific chapters from a DVD rather than the whole thing.

Sometimes WWE DVDs have chapter stops at odd places, like between the intros and the start of a match, so I'd be careful ripping by chapter alone.

It is invaluable when exposing people to matches they haven;t seen. I can get through 3-4 comps a day when I have limited distractions.

Also off-topic: Tim, do you still have my address and are you still going to send along those DVDs? As far as money is concerned, just let me know how much I'll need to pay and I can paypal you or write a check.

You rule. I am just really interested in some of that lucha from your list.

Also, I know Alfredo recently converted from VHS to DVD. Do you know what kind of quality his lucha is in? I know the Japan Classics and some of his comps were really good VQ as well. I was hoping his lucha was the same.