Pro Wrestling Only

DVD #2: El Satanico vs Shiro Koshinaka

Loss

• 5 weeks later...

I love it. The bell hasn't even run and Koshinaka is beating the snot out of Satanico. This is gonna be a fun one.

Then as soon as I say that, the match is officially underway and Koshinaka uses a very non-grudge match-like armbar. Koshinaka works the arm like a champ for several minutes, with Satanico trying several ways to break the hold, unsuccessfully.

I mark for the short arm scissors and I don't know why.

The most beautiful backslide I've ever seen takes the first fall, and it's all Koshinaka thus far.

Koshinaka continues to dominate Satanico throughout the second fall, and nearly ten minutes in I think Satanico's gotten like two moves in. Satanico finally takes control and evens the bout with a beautiful cradle, then wastes no time trying to dish out some of the same punishment Koshinaka issued to him earlier in the bout.

It's in the third fall that the match begins to degenerate into the brawl that was expected given the stipulations and the prematch attack, and it's also in the third fall that both men get a somewhat equal amount of offense in. Koshinaka is just on fire, and he's executing roll ups and cradles so well that I thought the match was going to be over about four times before it actually was.

I hate the cheap finish on the low blow DQ, simply because they'd been fighting on the floor quite a bit plus, given the hair vs hair stipulation, the DQ just seems like a cheap copout to prevent someone from jobbing clean. You can make an argument that it shows how frustrated Koshinaka had become, and I'd buy that, but it still felt like a cheap finish.

Overall, decent in the first two falls, I loved the third fall until the finish. Good overall.

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting to see some early-80s lucha. Glad to see that Koshinaka's rear-end-based offense is over in Mexico, too.

Was that a straight DQ? It looked to me more like Koshinaka chopped his leg and Satanico faked the faul... like an early model version of lie, cheat, and steal.