Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-03-20-AJW] Dump Matsumoto vs. Yukari Omori

Kadaveri

Let's try that again...

Well firstly it's a collective failure of the IWC that this match doesn't even had a PWO thread until now :)

This is an incredible must-see and one-of-a-kind match. Sometimes it feels like you're watching a legit riot rather than wrestling match it's so out of control and unpredictable. Dump jumps Yukari with the microphone and just beats her over the head with it and leaves her a bloody mess, and it just keeps escalating from there. Yukari is so brave she keeps getting back in the ring to fight this monster. Dump starts running around with scissors trying to stab everyone and suddenly Devil and Chigusa are now involved trying to stop her. A nice detail is how Dump always back off a bit from Devil, who's never intimidated by her unlike the other babyfaces. They have history. The Commissioner comes out and DQs Dump, and if you've watched 80s Joshi you'll know you need to go WAY overboard to get DQed here, but Yukari insists on restarting the match. Then Dump extends a handshake and pretends she's gonna play fair now, but just distracts Yukari so Bull can stab her in the back with scissors and then they both beat her up. She's just so damn evil! I got legit upset seeing her do this despicable act.

Amidst all this chaos, this is still a traditional brave babyface vs. despicable cheating heel at its core. Dump just takes everything to new levels of evil.

***** 5 Stars. This is one of the greatest matches of all time. I count everything before, after the bell and in between the restart as one complete awesome package.

Well, this match was a revelation. A completely out-of-control fight that felt not only like the apex of its style but also served as one of the blueprints for the garbage brawling of the 90s, most especially that in ECW.

If you're going to go for a FIP role like this, you need a monster willing to really lay it in and a wrestler willing to take a licking. More often than not, the former doesn't exist so you're left with the face playing from under to a disproportionate level of ineffective, namby-pamby violence. Oh, boy, that wasn't the case here. Dump is absolutely relentless in maiming Yukari, whether its with items littered around ringside or a gigantic pair of scissors that ends up IN Yukari's arm. 'Struth!

My only real detraction is that the seconds at ringside weren't willing to go along with the violence. I do think the sheer number of people doing pull aparts and group muggings helped add to its chaotic nature but some came across as bush league amateurs in their strikes. I felt there were also times where Yukari's seconds actively avoided getting involved so that she could get beaten down (I guess as to not interrupt the flow of the match). It's a trope of wrestling, and one you need to obviously suspend your disbelief for, yet its easier to do so when their positioning is out of focus and not standing next to the crime scene going down.

With that said, I'm really nitpicking as one must when a match reaches such a high calibre. What Dump and Yukari brought on this day was magic. Off the top of my head, this is the best chaotic brawl I've witnessed. Super stuff.

I’m at a loss for words at this match. Its entire presentation from the entrances and beyond is just phenomenal. To simply put it, it’s an absolute classic in every sense of the word. The brawling is OUT OF CONTROL in ways that wrestlers such as Stan Hansen was never really able to capture himself. It was uncontainable between not only Dump and Yukari but all the seconds on the outside, too, including Gokuaku Domei, Devil Masami and Chigusa Nagayo. First of all, Dump's entrance was amazing. I adored her Samurai costume as it makes her look like a total monstrous villain. Her eyes among the blackish face mask, especially, gave me that feeling. Yukari Omori came out with shoulder pads that reminded me of Norman Smiley but it worked and it definitely helped give the match an intense aura without them even touching. And when they did, the match broke down immediately into the Dump Masamoto show. Teenager girls crying, wild brawling, scissor stabbings. Wrestling. *****