Pro Wrestling Only

7mm Florida footage

ohtani's jacket

Southern Heavyweight Title Match: Johnny Valentine (c) vs Tim Woods (1973) -- great looking brawl for the title. There's a lot of Greg in the way Valentine sells. Really cool sleeper spot that ends with Valentine punching Woods in the eye. Finish is forgettable, but Woods keeps pummeling Valentine afterward. Johnny rolls under the bottom rope with a bloodied forehead and the title in hand. Great footage.

World Title! Jack Brisco vs Johnny Valentine (June 24th, 1975) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- Great looking title match. Tremendous selling from both men, and a cool looking submission from Valentine. Brisco was such an incredible athlete. Why don't we talk about him more? He should be in the upper echelons of discussions for the best ever, but his name is hardly ever brought up. Great dynamic here with Valentine's power vs. Brisco's skill & finesse. Great footage. 

Harley Race vs Bob Roop (June 11th, 1974) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- personally, I like Harley Race's bomb throwing style, but this clearly isn't as good as the Valentine matches. Harley doesn't really look like a guy who should be a Buddy Rogers type. You kind of wish he would just maul folks. Roop is a guy who I should love in theory, but I've never really seen any evidence that he was able to transfer his amateur skills to the pro game in a compelling or successful way. Nothing special.

Eddie Graham & Paul Jones vs Buddy Colt & Chris Markoff (May 15th, 1973) (CWF) -- I'm interested to see what Eddie Graham brings to the table. He looked like a masterful old hand here. This was classic Southern style tag wrestling -- blood, sweat, tears, pain. Huge heat. Plenty of peroxide blonde hair. Always nice to see Chris Markoff again. He has some much credit in the bank for that Inoki match. Paul Jones pretty cool here. I'll definitely be checking him out. Good stuff. 

Bearcat Wright vs. Johnny Valentine (April 18th, 1972) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- pretty good fight. For a guy with a reputation as a tough SOB, Valentine is remarkably giving with his selling. Bearcat was a maniac here, so Valentine spent most of the footage selling from underneath, and it actually cemented Valentine in my mind as a great worker. Bearcat was never the greatest worker around, but the heat these guys generated was impressive. Good stuff. 

Jack Brisco vs. Mr. Wrestling (1971) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- this looked like a great match-up, but we joined it in time for a worked knee injury. Ends without a finish as well. Nothing special. 

Florida Heavyweight Title vs Cadillac: Eddie Graham (c) vs. Buddy Colt (Title Change!) (12-17-73) -- I'm digging Graham as the veteran master. He's wildly entertaining in these bouts. Colt isn't bad, either. Good stuff. 

Lights Out Match: Paul Jones vs. Dick Murdoch (May 22nd, 1973) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- a lights out match was Florida's version of a street fight. I'm no expert in this sort of thing, but it looks like Paul Jones throws a pretty good punch. Some nice brawling, but I didn't see any blood. Good stuff. 

Hiro Matsuda vs. Bob Orton Jr. (June 3rd, 1975) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- Matsuda is badass with his barefoot style of wrestling and his close-in fighting. There's a hint of orientalism with his chops, but he also has that air of superior mat skills and suplex ability. Early Bob Orton Jr is great. Super quick and super skilled. Good stuff.

Florida Heavyweight Title Match: Paul Jones (c) vs. Johnny Valentine (June 19th, 1973) -- Johnny Valentine is awesome. Why was I never high on him before? I must've been stupid. I guess I didn't consider this sort of thing a wrestling match. What I love about Valentine is his selling. He's really great at not only selling these wars of attrition, but putting himself over as Johnny Valentine, which is probably the hardest thing to do in all of wrestling. Who can forget the name after watching his bouts? Great footage. 

Florida Heavyweight Title Match: Jack Brisco (c) vs. Bob Orton Jr. (Title Change!) (May 17th, 1976) -- Jack Brisco vs. Bob Orton Jr.? Are you kidding me? Orton was heel here and took big flamboyant bumps, but at its heart it was still Brisco vs. Orton Jr and there was some great technique on show. The finish was screwy, but I was still excited to see these guys go at it. Good stuff.

Eddie Graham & Bob Armstrong vs. Bob Roop & Dick Murdoch (December 28th, 1974) -- Chaotic tag. Graham is fun to watch, but I'm not so sure I'm sold on 'Georgia Tornado' Bob Armstrong. There was a time when I really liked Dick Murdoch but it hasn't been for awhile. I haven't seen a lot from him in this footage aside from that weird thing he did where he hit himself in the face with a chair. Match ends with a Pier 6 brawl. OK footage.  

Hiro Matsuda vs Tosh Togo (Judo Jacket Match) - Championship Wrestling from Florida TV 1973 -- this is Matsuda vs. Oddjob. It's worked like a fake-looking judo match until Togo begins to cheat. Matsuda ends up shedding the gi to win the bout with catch-as-can wrestling. Better than Delaporte vs. Oddjob but nothing special. OK footage. 

I don't think it's new. It's just all on one YouTube channel.

Lou Thesz vs. Johnny Valentine (July 31st, 1973) (Championship Wrestling From Florida)
Lou Thesz vs. Johnny Valentine (September 1st, 1973) (Championship Wrestling From Florida)

Thesz was 57 here and had been wrestling for more than 40 years, and he still looked great. The purpose of the first film was to air the controversial finish. The second film was shot by Solie and extremely stylized. It was almost like he was trying to portray wrestling as a type of ballet. There are a lot of great close-ups and slow motion shots. I don't think people realize how good Thesz was at forearm smashes and inside moves. It's something he did a lot when he worked heel. He does it a lot against Valentine because he knows he's in the ring with a tough son of a bitch. Valentine's grappling is awesome. It's amazing how multi-talented and versatile he was. Lou Thesz doesn't really need any more feathers in his cap, but it's impressive how good he was in the early 70s. I'd put his work in his 50s up against anybody else's. He truly is the Godfather. So, you've got two top 100 guys of all-time going at each other's throats. Great footage.

N.W.A. World Heavyweight Title Match: Jack Brisco (c) vs. Terry Funk (Title Change!) (12-10-75) -- this is basically the finishing stretch showing how the title was won, which to be honest, is probably the least interesting thing they could show. There are some nice moves and some cool slow motion replays, and Solie is amusing trying to sell Funk's punch drunk antics as deadly serious (Funk has lost his equilibrium!), but I would have rather seen what they were capable of on the mat. Funk's promos afterwards are better than the match. The promo in the locker room where Solie announces him as the new World Heavyweight champion is a brilliant post-match promo. Funk really was a genius at telling a story with his promos. The shift from the look on his face when Solie declares him World Champ to the disgust at the clause in the contract and Solie goading him about Brisco having him down for a five count. It's brilliant stuff. Footage is good stuff.

N.W.A. World Jr. Heavyweight Title Match: Hiro Matsuda (c) vs. Bob Orton Jr. (December 23rd, 1975) -- Matsuda continues to fascinate me. He looks a lot like those Hawaiian-Japanese heels from the 50s except he's lightning quick and does a ton of suplexes. He seems like an underappreciated figure in the history of light heavyweight wrestling. I'm not really sure why they made Orton a heel when he had all the credentials to be a popular young babyface, but he didn't hold back on the bad guy act. Pretty exciting match. Good stuff. 

Jack Brisco & Paul Jones vs. Johnny Valentine & Buddy Colt (June 5th, 1973) (CWF) -- Brisco vs. Valentine looks like an all-time great match-up. Johnny's elbow drops are incredible. Add great tag wrestler to his resume as well. Good stuff. 

Jack Brisco (c) vs. Terry Funk (November 13th, 1973) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- This was another piece of the puzzle of what a Brisco vs. Terry Funk match must have been like. I liked the way Solie gave us some narrative here. You don't often get a lot of narrative from Funk fans about his career. They generally describe his career based on whatever phase he's in. Here, Solie tells us that Funk is no longer in the shadow of his brother Dory, and that instead of being a gatekeeper for wrestlers who wanted a shot at Dory's title, he is free to chase the title for himself. I thought that was interesting. We all know that Terry was World Champ in the 70s, but to have a bit of narrative is appreciated. Good stuff.

N.W.A. World Heavyweight Title Match (No DQ): Harley Race (c) vs. Jack Brisco (August 12th, 1978) -- We get more of this that you might think. The no DQ stip doesn't come into play in the way it would in most bouts, but it does set the tone for a proper fight for the World's Heavyweight title. I thought Brisco looked like the better wrestler, but he was the one working from underneath striving to win the belt. One cool thing about this is that you could hear fans in the crowd calling out shit. Good stuff. 

N.W.A. World Heavyweight Title Match: Dory Funk Jr. (c) vs. Jerry Brisco (January 23rd, 1973) -- Jerry Brisco is an underrated wrestler. He was more of a showman than his brother. He was almost like the Terry to Jack's Dory. He deserves a better rep than being remembered as Vince's stooge. I don't have a problem with Junior, but it was interesting that Brisco's fire made Junior bump and sell like Terry. I don't know how often that happened, but it was something I was expecting. Good stuff. 

Grudge Match: Dusty Rhodes & Eddie Graham vs. Bob Roop & Bob Orton Jr. (January 27th, 1976) (CWF) -- Fun heel commentary from Roop & Orton. Dusty was basically Dusty Rhodes here, but he could move, which you'd probably expect from 1970s Dusty. Graham continues to be a legend in this footage. Roop kept putting Orton over as the new breed of wrestler. I'm buying it. Good stuff. 

Jack Brisco vs. Don Muraco (May 28th, 1974) (Championship Wrestling From Florida)
N.W.A. World Heavyweight Title Match: Jack Brisco (c) vs. Don Muraco (July 30th, 1974)

I think this is the first time I've seen 70s Muraco. He looked like a good young wrestler, and was a decent match-up for Brisco. I don't know the context behind this, or how big a deal it was, but Solie went bananas over Muraco reversing the figure four. He proclaimed it as the first time in the history of professional wrestling that anyone had reversed the hold. Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but skip ahead a few years and everybody would be reversing it. Good stuff.

Terry Funk vs. Tony Charles (October 8th, 1974) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- Funk was feuding with Dusty Rhodes during this period while moonlighting as a mercenary for Gary Hart. This was a short clip showing Tony Charles injuring his shoulder after a dropkick and selling it like a WoS finish. Funk unleased a vicious attack on the shoulder, and we got to see some of his early heel work on film. I get the impression that Tony Charles wasn't used very well in the States, but maybe there's some contradictory footage out there. Good stuff.

N.W.A. World Heavyweight Title Match: Terry Funk (c) vs Dusty Rhodes (February 10th, 1976) -- this was wild and crazy Terry Funk. Dusty commented his own match which can't be beat. Smoke and mirrors stuff, with lots of outside interference, but undeniably fun. Good stuff. 

Dory Funk, Jr. vs. Harley Race (July 20th, 1974) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- the last few minutes of a 60 minute draw. This was supposed to determine the number one contender to Brisco's title. Solie gave the match to Race since he withstood Dory''s best stuff and still had something in the tank. I'm not sure if I've ever seen this match-up before. The action wasn't very exciting given it was the finishing stretch. I can't say this Florida footage is doing much for Harley's stock right now. OK footage.

Texas Death Match: Jerry Brisco vs. Abdullah The Butcher (August 12th, 1975) - never, in my wildest dreams, would I ever conceive of Jerry Brisco and Abdullah the Butcher as a match-up, but here it is, and Brisco continues to shine as a great worker. Watching Brisco throw rights and lefts at Abby was a total blast. Time to step out of your brother's shadow, Jerry. You are a bona fide great worker. Good stuff. 

Terry Funk vs. Sonny Rogers (1976) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- this was a studio match, so it's kind of cheating, but nice to see Terry posing with the World Heavyweight Championship at the beginning, and pretty much a clinic from the champ. You get some gorgeous looking matwork from Funk as well as those  huge clubbing forearms (Solie calls them sledgehammers.) Rogers gets a couple of neat hope spots before Funk hits an insane brainbuster for the victory. High quality TV match. If I had to guess, I'd say Funk was in the best shape of his career here. Great footage. 

Greg Valentine vs. Bill Dromo (July 23rd, 1974) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- Greg is being billed as Johnny Valentine's younger brother here. He uses the same moveset as his dad but without the poise. Everything is a million miles an hour, as you'd expect from a younger wrestler. He even takes some uncharacteristic bumps. Dromo is a big unit, and I can only imagine how awesome Johnny Valentine vs. Dromo would have been. Still, it was fun to see baby Hammer. Good stuff. 

Southern Title! No DQ! Killer Karl Krupp (c) vs. Cyclon Negro (July 22nd, 1975) -- I don't have to spell out what's going on in this one. I like Killer Karl Krupp a lot, but this is just the tail end of a wild brawl that ends in a pull apart. OK footage.

Florida TV Title Match: Bob Roop (c) vs. Jerry Brisco (Title Change!) (1978) @The Sportatorium -- this was an excellent match. Brisco & Roop working amateur holds with Coach John Heath on commentary? Yes, please. Jerry Brisco could flat out wrestle. And this is the version of Bob Roop that I need to see more from. The only downer about this is that Dick Slater gets involved on commentary, which detracts from the match. Otherwise, great footage.

N.W.A. World Heavyweight Title Match: Jack Brisco (c) vs. Dory Funk Jr. (November 23rd, 1974) -- Holy crap balls, this is amazing and easily the best thing I've watched so far. People used to say that Brisco vs. Funk was the Steamboat vs. Flair of the 70s, which kind of got picked apart a lot by people who didn't like the match they had in Japan, but this was incredible. The pace of the work, the selling, the grappling, Dory's bladejob... this is the exact same scenario as Funk vs. Race (the finish to a 60 minute broadway), but the action couldn't be further apart in quality. I love the desperation from Funk in trying to win back his title, and Brisco has to be considered one of the all-time great babyfaces and one of the best at selling. Special referee, Lou Thesz, makes an odd call when he allows Brisco to have a two minute moratorium, and there's a bit of tension between him and Dory -- what a match-up that could have been even in the mid-70s. Great finish with Brisco roaring back. All-time great footage.

N.W.A. World Heavyweight Title Match: Harley Race (c) vs. Wahoo McDaniel (10-31-78) -- you want this to be like Johnny Valentine vs. Wahoo McDaniel, but touring champ Race is too much of a goofy bugger for that to be possible. Am I being too harsh on Harley? Is it wrong to wish he wrestled more like Johnny Valentine than Pat Patterson? Right now, he looks like the least of the 70s NWA champions. Hopefully, he comes storming back soon with some better footage. Nothing special.

There's an art to it, Matty, my boy.

Jack & Jerry Brisco vs. Paul Jones & Dory Funk Sr. (1972) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- Paul Jones was new in the territory and only wanted to wrestle Jack Brisco. In reality, I believe it was Brisco's idea for Jones to turn heel. He sure as hell wrestled Jones like it was his idea. Plenty of feisty brawling between the pair. Jack has so many great match-ups in Florida. He owned that territory in a way few babyfaces did. Dory Funk Sr looks like Dory Funk Jr if you slapped on Terry's face. Good stuff. 

Jack Brisco & Jerry Brisco vs. Dory Funk Jr. & Terry Funk (November 22nd, 1972) -- this was a short clip, but people who say Funk vs. Brisco was boring need to witness the intensity here. Brisco chasing Funk in the early 70s was a real thing. It's pretty clear to me that Terry didn't come into his own until 1974. That might be me swallowing Solie's narrative about Terry living in his brother's shadow, but it seems that way from the footage as well. OK footage.

Mike Graham vs. Bobby Shane (May 23rd, 1972) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- this was supposedly Mike Graham's professional debut. Bobby Shane is one of those guys who wasn't that great but had a flamboyant gimmick. If I see more of him, he may win me over, but my first impression is that he suffers in comparison to a lot of the other workers I've been watching. According to Solie, Graham is supposed to be a great amateur wrestler, but it's not so evident in this footage. OK footage. 

Florida Heavyweight Title Match: Jack Brisco (c) vs. Greg Valentine (April 18th, 1978) -- Hey, look! Brisco wrestled Greg too! Brisco is supposed to be washed up in the late 70s, but he looked pretty good here. This wasn't a fair comparison to the Brisco vs. Johnny Valentine footage, but I think it's safe to say that Greg wasn't as good as his daddy. Perhaps in the 80s, but not in the 70s. OK footage. 

Jack Brisco vs. Dory Funk Jr. (1972) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- this was that slower, chess match style of wrestling that some people find boring, but I can appreciate for what it was. They've had more fiery footage, but I liked what we saw here wrestling-wise. OK footage. 

CWF - Terry Funk vs Cowboy Bill Watts (Dusty Rhodes Interferes!) (March 26th, 1974) -- Funk vs. Watts is a great match-up. Watching Watts in his younger days is an eye-opener. Scratch that. Watching Watts wrestle is an eye-opener. I'm pretty sure these two could work an excellent bout if the circumstances permitted. This was booked for Dusty and Slater to make run-ins. Apparently, Dusty and Funk were on the same side at this point. I guess Dusty was a heel. OK footage.

N.W.A. World Title Lumberjack Match: Harley Race (c) vs. Dusty Rhodes (October 28th, 1978) -- If you're going to wrestle like a Buddy Rogers type then I guess this is closer to an ideal match-up for Harley than fighting Brisco or the Funks. The finish was controversial so the footage was centered around that. Dusty cut a cool promo afterward in the locker room. OK footage. 

Handicap Match: Dusty Rhodes vs. Terry Funk & Gary Hart (1974) @Miami Beach Convention Center -- Short clip. Terry has his eye taped up after being attacked by Dusty. Classic Terry. No finish shown. OK footage.

Dusty Rhodes Seeks Revenge On Terry Funk (September 4th, 1979) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- this is Funk commentating over an angle where he attacked Dusty and tried to rip the cast off his arm to prove it was loaded. This was classic wild man Funk. He's done better angles and cut better promos, but if you like Funk going nuts then this is an early prototype of it. He even squashes a jobber at the end and lets out a primal scream. OK footage. 

Dusty Rhodes vs. Terry Funk (September 18th, 1979) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- Short clip. Terry is still obsessed with the cast. Dory attacks Dusty. I liked the beard Junior had. I didn't know Funk vs. Rhodes was such a big deal in Florida. OK footage. 

N.W.A. World Heavyweight Title Match: Jack Brisco (c) vs. Buddy Colt (October 6th, 1973) -- this was great stuff. Colt was on commentary and was a delight. He had this beautifully understated delivery that built to hilarious one liners. Brisco was phenomenal again. Was there a better babyface in the States in the early 70s than Brisco? This was great stuff. Fantastic action, and Colt put himself over brilliantly. 

Florida Heavyweight Title Match: Pak Song (c) vs. Jack Brisco (April 17th,1976) (CWF) -- Pak Song was a stereotypical Asian heel and didn't bring much to the table offensively, but man, the slow motion replays of Jack's work in this match were a thing of beauty. Brisco is poetry in motion. Good stuff. 

Harley Race vs. Dick Murdoch (April 22nd, 1975) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- now this is the Harley Race I want to see! A tough, gritty bastard that kicks ass and justifies the legality of his headbutts as a God blessing him with a hard head. More of this Harley, please! Good stuff. 

Terry Funk vs. Jim Dillon + Terry Funk vs. Bob Roop (1975) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- Solie commentates over clips of Funk in action. This is my favorite era for Funk. He was in the best shape of his career and in his athletic prime. He still wrestled during his bouts instead of all-out brawling, but he could kick ass when he wanted to, and had all of the charisma and personality of his later years but without the wildness and over-exaggerated craziness. I'd take this Funk over crazy, wildman Funk any day of the week.

Jack Brisco vs. Buddy Colt (August 12th, 1972) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- Brisco vs. Colt is quickly becoming one of my favorite match-ups. Colt is a fantastic performer. I generally prefer wrestler types over performers as a preference, but I can appreciate a performer when they're as skilled as Colt. How good was Jack Brisco at selling? As good as he was at actual wrestling, and as aesthetically beautiful as his professional wrestling moves were, what sets him apart is his outstanding of how to sell. He wasn't a great promo, and I don't think he was hugely charismatic, but man he knew how to sell. Great footage.

Steel Cage! Paul Jones vs. Buddy Colt + Florida TV Title! Jack Brisco (c) vs. Bobby Shane (4-14-73) -- Bobby Shane's outfit needs to be seen to be believed. He looks like the most Matt D wrestler ever, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. I'm not a guy who goes gaga for territory wrestling, but Buddy Colt vs. Paul Jones in a cage match? C'mon now. My only regret about this was that I watched in the morning without a beer in hand. Buddy Colt rules. Good stuff.

Lumberjack Match: Buddy Colt vs. Johnny Walker (September 29th, 1972) @Tallahassee Sports Stadium -- Holy crap, Johnny Walker is fucking awesome. I clearly need to see as much Walker as I can find. Not only is he an intense technical wrestler, but he can brawl like a motherfucker too. Colt is on commentary here, and I think it's from a later date because his partner sounds like a generic shoot interviewer. Buddy was a brilliant performer. Just flat out brilliant. He cracks me up by saying he had more intestinal fortitude than anyone in history. Great footage.

N.W.A. World Heavyweight Title Match: Harley Race (c) vs. Dusty Rhodes (August 13th, 1977) -- Harley Race cuts an awesome promo before the footage like only Harley Race can. He calls Dusty the Goodyear Blimp of professional wrestling, but Dusty is amazing shape by Dusty Rhodes standards. He's incredibly athletic compared to the Dusty I'm used to. Dusty thinks he's won the title and a bunch of babyface workers and fans storm the ring to congratulate him. They carry him out of the ring on their shoulders amid huge celebrations from the fans. I'm not keen on this switch from Brisco to Dusty as the biggest babyface star in Florida, but you can't deny that Dusty was the people's champion. Jerry Brisco is having a blast pouring champagne over Dusty in the locker room, but a grave Gordon Solie tells us that "all is not well." Dusty used the ropes for leverage, which was probably the most athletic thing I've ever seen him do, and the decision was reversed after the referee lodged a protest. Good stuff, and an eye opener for me about Dusty. 

N.W.A. World Heavyweight Title Match: Dory Funk Jr. (c) vs. Buddy Colt (August 8th, 1972) -- Fun stuff. These two match up well. I discovered that it's actually Mark Nulty on commentary with Buddy. I absolutely love Buddy's commentary, especially his explanation for this taped thumb. Great selling and offense from Dory. The crowd was molten too. Buddy has a beautiful counter to the spinning toe-hold. Buddy thinks he's won the title at the end but doesn't see the leg on the ropes. Very good footage. 

Buddy Colt vs. Johnny Walker (Mr. Wrestling II) - Championship Wrestling from Florida TV 1973 -- not as electrifying as their lumberjack match, but some cool arm work from Walker, who was looking to give Colt the big payback for putting him out of wrestling twice. Great selling from Colt as usual. Good stuff. 

Dusty Rhodes Defeats Harley Race For The N.W.A. World Heavyweight Title! (August 21st, 1979) -- Dusty wins the title for the people. The match is decent enough, but it's the post-match celebrations and Dusty's promo afterward that are memorable. Oddly, for all the son of a plumber talk, Dusty wears a Flair style robe to the ring. Dusty was a new style of NWA champion, and while this reign only lasted five days, I can't shake the feeling that wrestling was changing and the 80s were going to be very different from the eras that proceeded it. Good stuff.

Jack Brisco vs. Dory Funk Jr. (The Great Malenko Attacks Funk) (January 12th, 1971) -- this is the match that started the Brisco vs. Funk rivalry, but we only see Malenko attack Funk before the bout and Dory lose it when Brisco pins him. Nothing special. 

N.W.A. World Heavyweight Title Match: Gene Kiniski (c) vs. Dory Funk Jr. (Title Change!) (2-11-69) -- I've never been much of a Kiniski fan so this didn't do a lot for me. I was more interested in seeing an extremely young-looking Solie interview Dory afterward. OK footage.

Florida Heavyweight Title Match: Bill Watts (c) vs. Johnny Walker (July 30th, 1974) -- Watts does commentary over the top of this. He's not as good as Buddy Colt but entertaining nonetheless. Watts wasn't super talented, but he was tough, he could wrestle a bit, and he understood the business. Decent footage.

Fists And Karate Legal: Tim Woods vs. Paul Jones (August 15th, 1972) (CWF) -- this was a bit of a disappointment. I wanted to see more of the gimmick, but we didn't get a lot of straight brawling in the footage that was shot. Nothing special. 

Florida TV Title Match: Jack Brisco (c) vs. Buddy Colt (Title Change!) (June 30th, 1973) -- Buddy Colt is so awesome. I could watch him all day. In fact, I might just do that! This has Buddy working over Jack's arm, which Jack sells magnificently because Jack Brisco is a magnificent pro-wrestler. Good stuff.

Florida Heavyweight Title Match: Jack Brisco (c) vs. Buddy Colt (Title Change!) (February 20th, 1973) -- these two go at it again. Buddy loved to work over Brisco's arm, didn't he? Buddy had a rep for putting guys out of wrestling and he'd broken Johnny Walker's arm a couple of times, so they always make a big deal out of his arm work. Brisco sells magnificently, but what's cool here is that we get to see Jack throw the rulebook out and furiously attack Colt. He busts Buddy's head open by ramming it into the ringpost and keeps punching his forehead. Tremendous babyface ring rage. It backfires on him, though, when he follows Buddy to the outside and Buddy decimates him with a chair shot. That's justice, I suppose. Babyfaces aren't supposed to cross the line. Good stuff.

N.W.A. World Heavyweight Title Match: Dusty Rhodes (c) vs. Harley Race (August 26th, 1979) -- there's a lot to unpack here. After Dusty won the title in Tampa, there was a protest lodged by Harley Race's camp stating there should have been a disqualification due to the over the top rule. The NWA Board of Directors in a split decision decided to waive the title can't change hands on a DQ rule for the rematch in Orlando (though it's not clear why, and Solie can't explain it well.) Before the bell, Terry Funk attacks Dusty and breaks his arm. Dusty fights through the pain and wrestles the match with one arm. Then the fatal moment comes where he back body drops Harley over the top rope (kind of stupid, Dusty.) Harley cuts a phenomenal promo -- seriously dude's promos are better than his matches. Back in the studio, Jos LeDuc wants the TV time he paid for and Dusty snaps. He beats the tar out of LeDuc and threatens Solie too. Nobody's getting funky with Dusty anymore! LeDuc even gigs. Commitment. It's amazingly how poorly all of this footage is sliced together, especially the terribly lit backstage promos, but exciting stuff nonetheless. Good stuff.

Southern Heavyweight Title Match: Paul Jones (c) vs. Ron Fuller (Title Change!) (April 10th, 1973) -- I wasn't sure what to expect from a young Ron Fuller but this was an excellent title match. There was a huge height difference between them, and a massive gap in experience, but they went toe-to-toe, and Jones put over Fuller with aplomb. Fuller looked the goods both brawling and wrestling. The finish was iffy, but they were angling towards Jones vs. Colt, I believe. Great stuff. 

Wahoo McDaniel vs. Killer Karl Kox (September 5th, 1978) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- this is a post-match brawl between Kox & Wahoo. It looked great, but I would have liked to have seen a few clips of what made Wahoo so incensed. Wahoo is a guy who I haven't been able to get into but I'm forever hopeful. OK footage. 

The Great Malenko vs The Great Mattress (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- Malenko wrestles a mattress. I'm not making this up. 

Steel Cage Match: Paul Jones vs. Buddy Colt (April 14th, 1973) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- this is a better VQ version of the Paul Jones vs. Buddy Colt cage match with commentary by Buddy. Y'know, Paul Jones has been something of a revelation for me. I'm not really a territories guy and I'm only really familiar with Jones as a manager. I don't think I've seen a single match from the never-ending Jimmy Valiant feud. I'm pretty sure he only lasted a few years in Florida before returning to Mid-Atlantic. He's been a superb all-round worker in this footage. He's probably in that second tier below the very best workers, but extremely good. Buddy is Buddy. Good stuff.

Southern Heavyweight Title Match: Tim Woods (c) vs. Buddy Colt (Title Change!) (October 31st, 1972)
Southern Heavyweight Title Match: Buddy Colt (c) vs. Tim Woods (November 21st, 1972)

The first match is pretty much the finish. The second match is more illuminating. According to Solie, Florida had special rules for 2/3 falls matches. The first fall was a technical wrestling fall and the second fall was a no holds barred, no DQ brawl. The winner of the second fall was able to choose whether the third fall was technical wrestling or brawling. I don't know if all 2/3 fall matches were like this, or if it was a stip they used from time to time. It may have been an experimental thing. For all I know, Solie may just be talking shit over some 7mm film. But it's kind of interesting. Buddy shows his chops in the wrestling fall. Good stuff.

Jack & Jerry Brisco vs. Dory Funk Jr. & Terry Funk (1973) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- This is the finishing stretch of an exciting looking match between the Funks and the Briscos. Young Terry is so weird to me. His growth in the mid-70s was exponential. Dory is underrated at brawling. Good stuff.

Jack & Jerry Brisco vs. Len Denton & Butch Bronson (1977) @The Sportatorium -- this is a studio squash match with both Briscos showing off their wrestling skills. I have no idea what made them want to show off their amateur skills in a squash match, but it was magnificent. Great stuff.

The Dusty Rhodes Babyface Turn! (The Match That Changed The Course Of Wrestling History) (1974) -- Dusty commentates over his face turn. Batshit insane, as you can imagine.

Superbowl Of Wrestling: Gordon Solie Interviews Harley Race (January 25th, 1978) @The Orange Bowl
Gordon Solie Interviews Harley Race (1977) @The Sportatorium
Gordon Solie Interviews Harley Race (1973) (Championship Wrestling From Florida)
Gordon Solie Interviews Harley Race (1975) (Championship Wrestling From Florida)

A series of Harley Race interviews. Harley was such an awesome promo. He stumbled over his words at times, but he came across as dead serious. You got the feeling that he meant every single word he said. The interesting thing about the promos is that we all know the lineage of the NWA title in the 70s (and if you don't then never mind, Solie will drill it into your head like arithmetic), but what we get here is some of the context. You get promos after Harley has lost the title to Brisco and hear about how hard he's working to return to the top of the mountain, and promos after he's won the title for a second time and proved the first title wasn't a fluke. Little things you could never gleam from a title history page.

Harley Race vs. Angelo Poffo (1977) (Championship Wrestling From Florida)
Harley Race vs. Frank Dusek (1979) (Championship Wrestling From Florida)

Let's take a look at the man in action. These were studio squash matches. Pure offense from Harley. Harley had such great offense. If he had worked as a defensive wrestler instead of a stooge, he would be super high on my all-time greats list instead of fluctuating so wildly. The Harley you see in these matches is my ideal version of him. Good stuff. 

North American Heavyweight Title Match: Bob Armstrong (c) vs. Buddy Colt (Title Change!) (1975) -- Armstrong has a neck injury but is determined to defend his title anyway. He's a bit of a goofy bugger on offense, but the crowd love it. Good stuff.

Southern Heavyweight Title Match: Mark Lewin (c) vs. Buddy Colt (Title Change!) (February 6th, 1973) -- Mark Lewin as a babyface seems weird to me. Decent looking match, but not top shelf Buddy. Decent footage.

Florida TV Title vs Florida Heavyweight Title: Mike Graham vs. Buddy Colt (February 19th, 1974) -- this was all about putting Mike Graham over. Graham was a decent worker, but you can't help but resist the hype when it's the promoter's kid. Nevertheless, he takes Colt to the 20 minute mark to retain his Florida TV title and has some good moments. Good stuff. 

Jack Brisco vs. Killer Khan (1979) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- this was a studio match. It must suck to be introduced as the former World Heavyweight wrestling champion all the time. People say Brisco was washed at this point because his matches in Japan weren't very good, but I haven't seen much of a decline in his Stateside work. This was a short TV match with a 10 minute time limit, but watch how Brisco works it as realistically as he can. It's like an arena match crammed into the allocated time. I don't know how Brisco felt about this career at this point. Perhaps he was frustrated that he was no longer part of the title picture, but y'know, when you climb to the top eventually you have to come down the other side, and I don't think Jack's later work is bad at all. Good TV bout. 

Lights Out Match: Buddy Colt & Dusty Rhodes vs. Paul Jones & Eddie Graham (November 20th, 1973) -- the finish to a wild lights out match with Dusty bleeding while Paul Jones karate chops him in the face, and Buddy Colt and Eddie Graham going at it. Highly entertaining. 

Florida Heavyweight Title Match: Cowboy Bill Watts (c) vs. Dick Murdoch (January 25th, 1975) (CWF) -- Watts has a porno moustache here. These guys are a perfect match up for each other, and they work the match exactly how it should be worked by repeatedly punching each other in the face. Good stuff.

Florida Heavyweight Title Match: Bill Watts (c) vs. Don Muraco (August 13th, 1974) -- Fantastic heel commentary from Watts. Watts put Muraco over as the next Jack Brisco, which is interesting. I wonder if Muraco is an early example of a guy who dogged it in New York. That may be unfair as I seem to recall his early WWWF stuff being good. Good stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

Buddy Colt vs. Big Bad John (December 26th, 1972) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- Buddy was one of those guys who could size up their opponent and deliver exactly the right kind of match. Big Bad John is pretty bad, but watch how Buddy sells for him, and the offense he uses to clobber him later on. Just perfect. Good stuff.

Buddy Colt vs. Frank Hester (January 4th, 1975) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) - tremendous heat for this, especially when Hester makes his comeback. Buddy rules as usual. Good stuff.

Buddy Colt vs. Tim Geohagen (August 29th, 1972) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) (CWF) -- I've never head of Tim Geohagen, but Solie sold this Buddy vs. Geohagen was a major feud, and suddenly I was all revved up about Tim Geohagen. Danny McShain was the ref for this one, which is cool because he's another guy who we have limited footage of who could have a case for Top 100. Good stuff. 

Don Muraco vs. The Mongolian Stomper (November 12th, 1974) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- not really a showcase for Muraco. Stomper beats him up after the match and Dusty does a run-in. OK footage.

Don Muraco vs. Pak Song (June 18th, 1974) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- another Muraco match that puts over the heel. Pak Song had some cool offense. Gary Hart is on commentary and does some decent schtick. OK footage.

Jack Brisco vs. Mike Hammer (1979) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- fabulous little television match. You've gotta love how much amateur stuff Brisco pulls out in these short TV bouts. What a wrestler. Great stuff.

Jack Brisco vs. The Gestapo (October 24th, 1979) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- even against masked wrestlers like The Gestapo, Jack is doing his amateur takedowns and awesome pin attempts. Jack Brisco, I love you. Great stuff.

The Last Tangle In Tampa: Harley Race vs. Dusty Rhodes (August 3rd, 1980) (Tampa Stadium) -- Dusty cuts a barely audible promo in a swimming pool (something about Apocalypse Now II). Match is simple but effective. It's a one hour broadway, so I'm assuming it had a lot of down time. There's no deny the connection Dusty had with the crowd. Race is getting fatter here and growing out his beard. He barely gets a lick of offense in during the footage, but it's cleared towards showing Dusty as the victor of the match but not being able to claim the title. Awesome Dusty promo afterward. Good stuff. 

• 4 weeks later...

Dusty Rhodes vs Ivan Koloff (Dusty's Hair vs. 30 Days In The Hole) (August 23rd, 1980) -- Dusty wins the services of Oliver Humperdink for 30 days and we get a couple of fun vignettes of Dusty ordering Humperdink about. Fun stuff.

N.W.A. World Heavyweight Title Match: Jack Brisco (c) vs. Buddy Colt (December 18th, 1973) -- Brisco vs. Colt is such a great match up. This wasn't their best match together but it was still exciting to watch. Good stuff.

Mike Graham & Eddie Graham vs. Dick Slater & Pak Song (October 12th, 1974) @Bayfront Center -- Pretty good match. I don't care much for Mike Graham, but Eddie Graham comes across like a legend in all of this footage. Slater is okay. Song is better than most Asian heels and has some cool signature offense. Good stuff.

Florida Tag Team Title Match: Dick Slater & Johnny Weaver (c) vs. Harley Race & Roger Kirby -- This is mainly Race doing some heel commentary over the footage. OK, but not as good as Colt's heel commentary. OK footage.

Florida Heavyweight Title Match: Bill Watts (c) vs. Dusty Rhodes (October 22nd, 1974) -- Dusty vs. Watts is a fun match up. Watts commentating over the top of it is even better. Fun stuff. 

Florida Tag Team Title Match: Rocky Johnson & Pedro Morales (c) vs. Ivan Koloff & Mr. Saito (1977) -- Awesome seeing Mr. Saito in action. One of the better Japanese workers of the 70s. Johnson and Morales made for a fun babyface team. Johnson was limited, but effective, kind of like his boy. Good stuff.

Florida Tag Title! Ivan Koloff & Mr. Saito (c) vs. Don Muraco & Pedro Morales (November 26th, 1977) -- We get to see quite a bit of Don Muraco vs. Ivan Koloff in this, which is cool. Hot finish with Morales once again being a super babyface. Good stuff. 

The Superbowl Of Wrestling: Harley Race vs. 'Superstar' Billy Graham (January 25th, 1978) (CWF) -- this was better than I expected considering the rain and the fact it was Superstar Billy Graham. I'm sure there was a ton of lying around but the footage they showed wasn't bad. Good stuff. 

Dusty Rhodes Promo (1979) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- Dusty cuts a promo about Madison Square Garden and New York city. The Dream is the greatest being to ever step foot in the garden. Fun stuff.

Bunkhouse Match: Dusty Rhodes vs. Terry Funk (July 27th, 1982) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- Dusty is in badass street clothes. Terry is wearing long johns. J.J. Dillion, Kendo Nagasaki, King Kong Tonga, and Dory Funk Jr interfere. Nothing special. 

Florida Heavyweight Title Match: Dusty Rhodes (c) vs. Bill Watts (Title Change!) (11-12-74) -- Dusty vs. Watts is a great match-up. Their brawling here looks really nice, but there's a bunch of horseshit with Gary Hart and Dusty loses the title on a count out. Lame. Not the match though. That was good stuff.

Ali Vaziri (The Iron Sheik) vs. Mark Stone (12-25-73) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- Holy shit, young Iron Sheik is a wrestling machine! Please tell me there is an Ali Vaziri vs. Jack Brisco match out there. 

Pat Patterson vs. Kevin Sullivan (May 24th, 1977) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- Pat and Solie commentate over the footage (very entertaining.) Young Kevin Sullivan is a dynamo. Watch him charge about the ring. Pat Patterson was an awesome worker. Mike Graham hounds him throughout this bout, and Pat is brilliant in and out of the ring. Great stuff. 

The Super Texan (Austin Idol) & The Psycho vs. Cowboy Bill Watts & Ron Fuller (February 19th, 1974) -- Watts shares his wrestling philosophies on commentary. Bit of a nothing match. The Psycho was a weird gimmick. OK footage.

Rocky Johnson & Tiger Conway Jr. vs. Bob Roop & Larry 'The Axe' Hennig (August 12th, 1975) -- Man, Larry Hennig looks like a cross between Harley Race and a middle-aged Curt Hennig. Pretty effective gimmick to walk around with your arm flexed all the time. Roop and Hennig are a good team and the babyfaces are fun as well. Good stuff. 

On 8/26/2021 at 12:08 AM, ohtani's jacket said:

Buddy Colt vs. Tim Geohagen (August 29th, 1972) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) (CWF) -- I've never head of Tim Geohagen, but Solie sold this Buddy vs. Geohagen was a major feud, and suddenly I was all revved up about Tim Geohagen. Danny McShain was the ref for this one, which is cool because he's another guy who we have limited footage of who could have a case for Top 100. Good stuff. 

Geohagen was an NWA title challenger in his prime. Kevin Sullivan mentioned him as someone who helped him enter the wrestling business.

Texas Tornado Match!: Dusty Rhodes & Dick Murdoch vs. Harley Race & Bob Roop (September 13th, 1975) -- Dusty is having a whale of a time on commentary. The action is good as well. It's basically Dusty clearing house after being "semi-comatose" on the outside, but you get to see a bit of Murdoch vs. Race as well, which is one of Race's better match ups, and Roop looks good n this role. Good stuff.

Dusty Rhodes & The Haiti Kid vs. Gary Hart & Bobby Duncum (August 13th, 1974) @Ft. Hesterly Armory -- I don't know how PC Dusty's commentary is here, but it sure is funny. He even cracks himself up. The ending has some flat out insane rambling from Dusty. Good stuff.

Eddie Graham vs. Jumbo Tsuruta (February 7th, 1976) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- this OK, but Jumbo ain't no Pak Song. It was nice to see Graham working a more fundamentally sound wrestling style. You could tell he possessed all the tools a wrestler needs in terms of both wrestling and brawling. If we could get some more footage of his prime, he would leap even higher in my estimation. Solie tells us some ridiculous shit about Jumbo. At one point, he says he was a former Japanese heavyweight champion who lost his title to Inoki. That's disappointing, Solie. I thought you were better than that. Decent footage.

Jos LeDuc & Paul LeDuc vs. Mad Dog Vachon & Dale Lewis (December 18th, 1973) -- scrappy brawl, but a crowd pleaser. Dale Lewis was new to me. Didn't get to see much of him since he was on the backfoot most of the time. Jos LeDuc was a beast, and I could see him being good in a really heated stip match. I was surprised by how weak Vachon's selling was. OK footage.

Jerry Brisco & Bill Watts vs. Robert Fuller & Ron Fuller (Bill Watts Turns Heel) (June 26th, 1974) -- Brisco & Solie do a bang up job of describing the action here even if the pictures don't always match up with the narrative. Watts continues to intrigue me since I've only ever thought of him as a booker and promoter. Not much to see ring-wise, but a decent angle. OK footage. 

Steel Cage Match: Dusty Rhodes & Eddie Graham vs. The Spoilers (June 20th, 1978) -- this is mostly Dusty rapping over some standard cage match action, when all of a sudden, DUSTY DOES A HIGHSPOT FROM THE TOP OF THE CAGE. Dusty Rhodes jumped from the top of the cage. Dusty Rhodes. 

Florida Heavyweight Title Match: King Curtis (c) vs. Rocky Johnson (December 23rd, 1975) -- King Curtis is a guy I haven't see a lot of, but he had a hell of a look. Dusty got involved in the finish enabling Johnson to win the Florida title. So many screwy title changes in Florida. No wonder Dusty booked the way he did. Nothing special.

Florida Heavyweight Title Match: 'Superstar' Billy Graham (c) vs. Dusty Rhodes (February 15th, 1977) -- this was pretty shitty. Almost everybody looks good in this Florida footage, but not Superstar Billy Graham. No sir. Dusty tries, but when Dusty is the workhorse of the match, you're in trouble. Not good.

Florida TV Title Match: Dick Slater (c) vs. Mike Graham (November 20th, 1973) -- Solie says these guys were high school classmates, but I can't believe a word you say anymore, Gordon Solie. Apparently, it's true. These are some lengthy highlights by Florida standards. Some decent looking action, but Slater isn't doing much to shed his reputation as a poor man's Terry Funk. Match goes to a draw. Slater no-shows the rematch, and the NWA awards Mike Graham the title. Another screwy title change. Decent footage.

Florida Tag Team Title Match: Bobby Shane & Bearcat Wright (c) vs. Bob Roop & The Great Malenko -- it was hard to tell who the heels were here. I thought it was Roop and Malenko, but the crowd pops for the title change. They may have been popping simply because they saw the titles change hands. Solie puts Bearcat Wright over as a babyface, but that may be because of the way Shane treats his partner during the match. They get into an altercation at the end, and the crowd is behind Wright. I'm confused. The match isn't very good. I'd like to see some prime Malenko. Nothing special.

Ron Fuller and Bill Watts vs. Buddy Colt and Larry Hennig (April 9th, 1974) -- fun bit of footage from the Bill Watts vs. Buddy Colt feud. Has all the elements I love about Buddy Colt -- the taped thumb, Colt's reputation for putting wrestlers out of commission, and the flying knee from the top rope. Hennig and Fuller are fine tag partners, but this is all about Bill & Buddy. Good stuff.

Florida Tag Team Title Match: Toru Tanaka & Dick Slater (c) vs. Eddie & Mike Graham (10-22-74) -- Eddie Graham was a great brawler and a great hot tag. He's so much better than Mike Graham it's not funny. The difference between Slater working Eddie and Slater working Mike is night and day. Eddie makes Slater look a top tier talent. Mike makes him look like a poor man's Terry Funk. I really want to see more Eddie Graham vs. Dick Slater after this. Good stuff. 

Gordon Solie Interviews Terry Funk & Dory Funk Jr. + Dusty Rhodes vs. Terry Funk (1979) -- We've seen this footage before of Terry and Dory attacking Dusty and ripping off his cast. This is book-ended by Terry and Dory being on the studio with Solie. Terry showed a gift for the gab as always. Junior fucked one the one line he had. I do like the cowboy hat and beard look he was sporting in '79. Repeat footage.

Mike Graham & Steve Keirn vs. Don Muraco, Bugsy McGraw & Thor The Viking (April 28th, 1979) -- this was pretty basic pro-wrestling but the crowd was into it. Buddy Rogers makes the save at the end, if you can believe that. He looked pretty good too. Muraco continues to look like a stud in this Florida film. Decent footage. 

Florida Tag Team Title Match: Mike Graham & Steve Keirn (c) vs. The Spoilers (August 29th, 1978) -- not my cup of tea, though Steve Keirn looks pretty good. Another screwy Florida finish. OK footage. 

• 2 weeks later...

Florida Tag Team Title Match: Mike Graham & Kevin Sullivan (c) vs. Dale Lewis & Gene Lewis (8-7-73) -- young Kevin Sullivan continues to fascinate me, but this cuts off right as he's cleaning house. Nothing special. 

Florida Heavyweight Title Match: Dusty Rhodes (c) vs. Killer Karl Kox (February 7th, 1978) -- Dusty is angry because Bobby Duncum and Killer Karl Kox stole his hat. At some point, in the late 70s, Dusty lost a considerable amount of weight and became much quicker and athletic. I prefer the heavier set Dusty from the mid-70s myself, but this was definitely Dusty's peak as an athlete. Decent footage. 

Florida Title vs Southern Title: Dusty Rhodes vs. The Spoiler (August 2nd, 1978) -- Dusty cuts a great promo about being screwed out of the Southern Title. Then we get some NWA edited footage of the incident. Promo was good. 

Buddy Colt vs. Man Mountain Mike (October 24th, 1972) (Championship Wrestling From Florida) -- fun Buddy Colt performance against the 600 pounder. Decent footage.

Billy Robinson & Tony Charles vs. The Masked Superstars (October 21st, 1975) @Ft. Hesterly Armory -- man, I'd give my left nut to see Billy Robinson vs. Jack Brisco in Florida. Instead, we get pro-wrestling shenanigans, which Robinson is still pretty good at. One of the Superstars was Jerry Lawler. OK footage. 

Florida Tag Team Title Match: The Spoilers (c) vs. Mike Graham & Steve Keirn (Title Change!) (1978) -- Graham and Keirn look pretty good here. This is generic pro-wrestling, but it's well executed. Decent footage.

Dusty Rhodes & Bill Watts vs. Dick Murdoch & Buddy Colt (February 18th, 1975) @Ft. Hesterly Armory -- Dick Murdoch & Buddy Colt! What a team. Cowboy Bill Watts has a moustache. This is great! Dusty gets cut, and the heels work him over in a number of nasty ways. Bill Watts is a stuttering  hot tag, but it's still kind of fun. All hell breaks loose, and Dick Murdoch does  a fantastic bump from an atomic drop. Great footage!