Pro Wrestling Only

[1989-12-31-NJPW-Moscow] Riki Choshu vs Victor Zangiev

Superstar Sleeze

Riki Choshu vs Victor Zangiev - NJPW 12/31/89 Moscow

Of course Inoki was the first promoter to run pro wrestling in the Soviet Union that is so on brand. I am really bummed there is no 70s/80s wrestling of a Kennedy’s trio that have won the Six-Man tag tiles and are gunning for the World Title saying they’re gonna bring it back to Wall Street and that they love to steal from the proletariat, so sad.

Talk about killing a town besides Hashimikov going over Manny Fernandez and the Georgian Judoka teaming with Inoki going over Rhenigans & Saito all the Soviets did jobs. Fucking Bam Bam Bigelow won his match. Jesus. 

I love Choshu but this is the Zangiev show. So many awesome bridges and tricked out mat work. He gets one of the most amazing Germans I’ve ever seen. He misses a top rope splash and Choshu TRUCKS him for the win. Heavy sigh. Zangiev should have been a massive star! ***

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1989-12-31-NJPW-Moscow] Riki Choshu vs Victor Zangiev
  • 8 months later...

Man, it's hard not to be disappointed with this match despite the fact that what we got was pretty sweet. Zangiev is such a force but Choshu treats him like a nuisance. A respectable nuisance but there's definitely no feeling of threat to this match which is especially strange given the setting. But Zangiev is great and Choshu isn't bad by any means, just not inspired. Still worth a watch.