Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-09-19-NJPW] Nobuhiko Takada vs Shiro Koshinaka

Superstar Sleeze

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champion Nobuhiko Takada vs Shiro Koshinaka - NJPW 9/19/86

I thought this was a clear step back from their awesome August encounter. I didnt think it was heated or uncooperative. I didnt Koshinaka struggles as hard in the leglocks and I didnt think Takada had as much of a killer instinct.

They each tag each other with a slap in the beginning. I didnt think it was as goof as August. Takada throws a couple nice kicks but is mostly working single leg/back heel trips into leglocks or armbar takedowns. Koshinaka tries to work toeholds, but rides too high and Takada counters into an armbar. After a couple times around the merry-g-round, Koshinaka powders and in the next toehold just starts stomping Takada, a much better strategy. He makes his first in-roads with a Boston Crab and then a backbreaker. Koshinaka takes his foot off the gas with a Figure-4 around the head. Takada escapes easily into the leglock. On stand up, Takada will have the advantage. Single leg pick up right back to the leglock. Koshinaka is selling but this is not as great as the August match with all the scrambles and the crazy slap exchanges in the hold. Takada throws some nice swift kicks, big moment, Takada's enziguiri is blocked! Koshinaka nails a Tombstone for two and shows Takada a Rear View, but Takada gets his foot on the ropes! Koshinaka is building momentum after it looked like Takada was owning him in both stand-up and on the ground. Takada Saito Suplex after a big slap for two. Takada nails him with a left kick on the temple. Takada back in firm control. Koshinaka sells this well using the ropes to get back up only for Takada to rock him with another kick Koshinaka wont stay down so Takada hits a Tombstone of his own. Koshinaka backslide hope spot gets a big pop, bridging German gets a lot of heat. Koshinaka catches a kick, reverse waistlock, ARMBAR TAKEDOWN! I love that spot. Koshinaka makes the ropes. This was definitely a leglock-heavy Takada match but Koshinaka at least rolls out pretty quickly. Takada Dragon Suplex but too close to the ropes. Takada tries desperately for the Crossface Chickenwing. He applies but Koshinaka is still too close to the ropes. He tries again but Koshinaka drives him into the buckles. Takada flurry of kicks, Koshinaka SWEEPS THE PLANT LEG! MARK OUT CITY! Koshinaka catches a kick, spins him around, O'Connor Roll with a Back Bridge for Three! New Champion to a loud pop!

I definitely preferred the August match but I still thought this was great. Takada is clearly dominant in every aspect of wrestling so Koshinaka has to use his guile to keep up. All of Koshinaka's offense were counters to Takada. The built to a heated finish. ****