Pro Wrestling Only

[1989-09-02-AJPW] Jumbo Tsuruta vs Yoshiaki Yatsu

Superstar Sleeze

Jumbo Tsuruta vs Yoshiaki Yatsu - AJPW 9/2/1989

The Olympians EXPLODE~! This match intrigued me for two reasons: 1. Not many Yatsu singles matches made the AJPW DVDVR Set and I wanted to see him in a singles setting. 2. It is a singles match between the current tag team champions. 

I really liked this match because they kept it simple and memorable. With both men being former Olympians it is not surprising the first five minutes is on the mat. I would say it is even but a slight edge to Yatsu. Kayfabe, I can say that is explained that Yatsu is more keen and eager to prove himself and Jumbo could be taking him lightly. In a non-Kayfabe sense, everyone knows Jumbo is the Ace, you need to establish Yastu as a credible threat. On what should have been clean break in the ropes, Jumbo elbows Yatsu. Yatsu and the ref make a big deal about this and the fans finally get up for this. I loved that. Little moments like that should matter a lot in wrestling. Jumbo does it again. Yatsu says fine two can play at that game and fuck you...he slaps the ever-loving shit out of Jumbo. Jumbo snaps back with a big time High Knee now it is on! Yatsu catches the second High Knee and goes on his first run which he hits Bulldogs and a Piledriver. Jumbo comes back with a Big Boot and the Jumbo Death Lariat! That Lariat looked fucking awesome! Jumbo scores a Piledriver and a Top Rope High Knee. On the Dangerous Back Drop Driver, Yatsu shifts his weight and gets a two! That was my favorite finish when I used to wrestle my brother, I put my younger brother over of course. Yatsu nails an excellent bridging German. He goes up top and in a spot I have never seen before or since, Jumbo goes to press slam him but Yatsu shifts his weight and crashes down on Jumbo. Yatsu starts to work the leg with his inverted Figure-4 but no dice. Yatsu comes charging in and Jumbo hotshots him hard on the top rope. Goddamn, it looked like Yatsu decapitated himself. Jumbo nails the Dangerous Back Drop Driver for two. Yatsu puts a valiant fight but succumbs to the second. 

I really enjoyed this. Unlike the tag team matches, this was not a blur of action. There were a lot of highspots and bombs, but they were allowed to breathe. I watched the match in one sitting and can recall all the sequences in order and the transitions. I thought they escalated nicely. There was a strong sense of hierarchy. Yatsu was game and really brought the fight to Jumbo, but ultimately you knew Jumbo would win. ****