Pro Wrestling Only

[1983-04-25-WWF-MSG, NY] Bob Backlund vs Ivan Koloff

Superstar Sleeze

WWF World Champion Bob Backlund vs Ivan Koloff - WWF 4/25/83

1983 was a tough year for Backlund as he had a lot of retread opponents and while he first face Koloff in a classic in 1978, Uncle Ivan is a change of pace in 1983 WWF. I thought if this was watched similarly to a 90s New Japan Juniors match this would be highly regarded. The  beginning just was not tight. The spots were good, but how they got there was so loose with no struggle. One thing I love about Backlund is that his matches drip with struggle. Look how weak those lock-ups were or the transitions to the bodyslams. It was disappointing. I was surprised how much offense Koloff got at the beginning of the match. There was no real shine. Backlund worked his usual "anything you can do, I can do better with" with his bodyslams, Full Nelson and the headlock/headscissors. Backlund's offense looked great. Koloff looked like he was coasting. The short arm scissors into the Backlund lift popped my mom who was watching with me. I liked he had to try multiple times to get it. I think if you started watching JIP from there you would think this match is great. Uncle Ivan laces up his working boots and goes for it. It is a 28 minutes or so match, so he probably had to pace himself. Backlund works the arm, classic Bob, you work his arm, he is going to tear it off and take it home with him. Crossface Chickenwing tease, but Uncle Ivan in the ropes. Some really good work in and out of the bearhug. Uncle Ivan goes after the back and he goes on a tear. Really strong heat segment leading to the Riding Backlund Wave With A Knee in the back from the Top Rope ala Dicky Murdoch. That was a great nearfall as Backlund's leg was under the ropes. Vertical suplex by Koloff gets two. Goes for another but Backlund slips down the back for a Crossface Chickenwing for the submission victory. 

Watched JIP it is ****, the beginning was fine, so lets split the difference call it ***1/2. Backlund haters will probably enjoy that Backlund does not gobble up Uncle Ivan. I would argue that Uncle Ivan does not get his ass in gear until halfway through the match so Backlund should have just dominated but oh well. It is always nice to see an unseen Bob match. He is just so much fun. You cant have a bad time watching Backlund work. ***1/2

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1983-04-25-WWF-MSG, NY] Bob Backlund vs Ivan Koloff