Pro Wrestling Only

The Apter Mags

If by any chance I missed another thread about this topic please let me know. 

Getting into wrestling in the 90’s, one rite of passage was waiting for the new magazines to arrive. The official WWF and WCW ones (when they were available anyway). I probably spent as much time in newsstands at the mall then the arcade or toy stores, because they had the more niche mags that I felt were a bit more fancy because they usually had more color pics.

Learning about the history of the business in the way Bill and his “writers” (never quite sure what kind of staff he worked with really, I should check out his book soon) put it gave me more perspective on what I was watching on television. Grateful for that, especially when the PWI did their year end issues or the 500. Specifically when they started publishing almanacs at the end of the year, starting in 95 I believe.

I pretty much started collecting the mags as soon as I began watching wrestling regularly in the summer of 86. In fact I may have had an issue or two before I began watching the TV, since I was already an established newsstand hound due to my comic collecting. Collecting the mags was the only way for a kid in Calgary to follow the "NWA" (as Crockett was referred to in the mags) and other territories, besides Stampede and the AWA, which were on TV. I was also fascinated by the occasional history articles, especially ones about the greatness of Bruno Sammartino and Bob Backlund (who was never mentioned by WWF at that time and only a scant few of his matches made the CHV tapes). I collected mostly the Apter mags but also had plenty of other publications like Superstar Wrestling, Wrestling Eye, etc., and of course WWF Magazine. I kept collecting through the 90s but stopped around 1998 because they had become kinda outdated, and all the news and results being months behind became less acceptable with the rise of the internet. I did collect WOW for a bit, the mainstream shoot mag, but it wasn't the same

• 3 months later...